List of bugs in windows 10

Jembo

Jun 18, 2014
So I've installed & updated Windows 10 as of January 21. These are bugs that if I cannot get addressed will force me to revert to Windows 8.1.

#1. Computer will not restart properly.
Hitting restart causes the PC to go into Deep Sleep which necessitates the need to hold Power for 5 sec to bring back. Tried turning off Fast Start with no luck.

#2. WiFi doesn't auto connect.
WiFi won't auto connect when I turn the PC on. Tried disabling "Allow The Computer To Turn Off This Device..."to no avail. Tried Man. Driivers & Windows Drivers.

#3. Start button is very laggy.
A 3/4 second delay sometimes when pressing the Start button. Tried disabling Animations, Cortana & Animations When Minimizing & Maximizing.

I have to say I don't mind the OS but these bugs are a deal breaker for me. Googling around I see these are quite common issues. o_O

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Clean install or upgrade?

I ask because I did an upgrade install and had issues such as you are.

Wiped the machine and did a clean installation and everything works perfectly.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
My sound card doesn't work properly.
For example
If I plug in my headphones and unplug it~ I get no sound. I have to go into the sound volume control, mute then unmute for sound to come out of my normal speakers.

worked great in windows 7

Last edited:

Jembo

Jun 18, 2014
Clean install or upgrade?

I ask because I did an upgrade install and had issues such as you are.

Wiped the machine and did a clean installation and everything works perfectly.

Clean install. Went smooth. Just used their Download Tool to USB, disabled Secure Boot, formatted SSD & install.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Start menu is now shown on mouse release; rather than on mouse click as it was on Windows 7... really smart idea ... NOT. That's where you get extra delay.
Probably it was done as it works better for touch screens

Last edited:

Jembo

Jun 18, 2014
Start menu is now shown on mouse release; rather than on mouse click as it was on Windows 7... really smart idea ... NOT. That's where you get extra delay.
Probably it was done as it works better for touch screens

Heh. I do have a habit of pressing the button then dragging the mouse a ways before releasing. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
So I've installed & updated Windows 10 as of January 21. These are bugs that if I cannot get addressed will force me to revert to Windows 8.1.

Hitting restart causes the PC to go into Deep Sleep which necessitates the need to hold Power for 5 sec to bring back. Tried turning off Fast Start with no luck.

WiFi won't auto connect when I turn the PC on. Tried disabling "Allow The Computer To Turn Off This Device..."to no avail. Tried Man. Driivers & Windows Drivers.

A 3/4 second delay sometimes when pressing the Start button. Tried disabling Animations, Cortana & Animations When Minimizing & Maximizing.

I have to say I don't mind the OS but these bugs are a deal breaker for me. Googling around I see these are quite common issues. o_O

Sounds like driver issues, try checking for new drivers at the manufacturers website and not Microsoft, to be fair drivers are down to the company of the hardware in question and not the OS.

I have no issues with my wifi or sound on either of my two Win10 PCs(both upgrades from 8.1) so to be fair don't think you have a bug but driver issues.
As to Google well you can search for anything ie Win7, Linux and see a list of issues even today so don't read too much into that.

I do feel some companies are better then others with regards to driver support, remember the lazy ones back then with Vista?
As to Start menu being laggy, this should not be the case at all, so you have issue somewhere for sure.

Check Event Viewer and Reliability History for any issues in there.
Last resort clean install best option for 10.

Last edited:

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
#1 and #2 I've never run into yet.

#3 I used to have some really long lags at times until November 1511 update. Been fine since. I have noticed the start menu isn't instantaneous like it was in previous versions which struck me as a bit odd but it hasn't really bothered me.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
The Windows 10 upgrade is only as good as hardware manufacturers allow them to be. An old Lenovo (released just after Windows 7 came out) ran ok for on 10 for a while, then started randomly going to sleep (such as while I was typing something here), and would not easily resume. Research showed that some hardware was using vanilla drivers, and there was not driver updates from the manufacturer. Went back to 7 and all is well.

Kerry56

Oct 16, 2004
I got several new problems in Windows 10 after the last update (1511 10586.63). One of my media players quit working and I had to reinstall the program. It is an older one, not officially supported even on Windows 8, so not a surprise that it failed.

I also couldn't send files across my home network, as the system complained that One or more network protocols are missing on this computer. Had to do a bit of searching to find how to reset things to fix this. It seems to be a common problem.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
On my old alienware laptop my only problem is with the amd drivers and it's common with a lot of people so I can't pin it on my old hardware.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Gonna throw my hat into the ring and also highly suggest you update your BIOS to the latest version if you haven't already. A new OS means new drivers, and new drivers designed to take advantage of new hardware features don't always play nice with older BIOS versions even if the hardware itself is still supported.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
My start menu appears while holding the button down.

Mine does not and I have an Win 10 and 7 machine next to each other.

If I press and hold on the 10 machine it won't open until I release the button.

Win 7 will show the menu as soon as you click it regardless of the release or not.

Jembo

Jun 18, 2014
Gonna throw my hat into the ring and also highly suggest you update your BIOS to the latest version if you haven't already. A new OS means new drivers, and new drivers designed to take advantage of new hardware features don't always play nice with older BIOS versions even if the hardware itself is still supported.

Latest version is installed.
Disabling Intel Management Engine Interface took care of Restart issue. Start button still lags but I'll just get used to it.
I've noticed the WiFi will only not auto-connect when it comes out of Sleep.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

Have you been using Windows for long? If so, how is it that your first thought when experiencing an issue with a Windows installation is "it must be a bug in the product"?

I'm not exactly a Windows 10 fan but I've seen a fair few installations of it to date, and none of them had any of the issues you describe.

Jembo

Jun 18, 2014
Have you been using Windows for long? If so, how is it that your first thought when experiencing an issue with a Windows installation is "it must be a bug in the product"?

I'm not exactly a Windows 10 fan but I've seen a fair few installations of it to date, and none of them had any of the issues you describe.

Way to go Champ.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
The Windows 10 upgrade is only as good as hardware manufacturers allow them to be. An old Lenovo (released just after Windows 7 came out) ran ok for on 10 for a while, then started randomly going to sleep (such as while I was typing something here), and would not easily resume. Research showed that some hardware was using vanilla drivers, and there was not driver updates from the manufacturer. Went back to 7 and all is well.

New OS changes always seem to have driver issues. Buying new hardware is what they want from you. It's all a profit ploy. There's no reason why Win7 couldn't be kept alive forever, and we could keep our still working hardware. It's why many are still on XP and why I will be looking to a non-MS OS when 7 becomes unusable.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
New OS changes always seem to have driver issues. Buying new hardware is what they want from you. It's all a profit ploy. There's no reason why Win7 couldn't be kept alive forever, and we could keep our still working hardware. It's why many are still on XP and why I will be looking to a non-MS OS when 7 becomes unusable.

You need to put on your business hat and take off the consumer one.

Having repeat customers is good for business they aren't running a charity.

Its the same reason you barely have cars that last 10 years now.

And unless that person has custom software that requires windows XP anyone still running it in 2015 is a fool.

Security alone is one of the best reasons to upgrade it.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Way to go Champ.
Has it dawned on you that this is NOT a windows issue??

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The wifi problem sounds like a stereotypical driver issue; for example I had the same when I put an SSD and Win81 on my parents' old Vista laptop. Win81 had a driver for the wifi chip, but it crapped out in the same way out of sleep mode. Updating to the latest driver from the Intel site fixed it. However, if it's an old wifi chip it might not have decent (or any official) Win10 support. Also, there's normally an option in Device Manager to allow Windows to power down the device to save power, you might find that disabling that option yields results.

Intel MEI should probably be updated as well.