Lifting Grips

ThomJill2

Nov 6, 2016
Hi, I recently started lifting weights and my hands have been getting some really bad calluses. I was thinking of trying a product called Cobra Grips to help. Has anyone (in particular, women) used these before, and if so do you recommend I purchase them? Thanks.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
What are your lifting goals? Any competition goals? If you see competition in your future build the calluses, you will want them. They help protect the skin on your hands. Now you may develop excessive calluses and that can be managed by how you grip the bar. See this video:
https://vimeo.com/22631714

Otherwise, gloves or grip enhancers can be fine, just be aware that they effectively increase the diameter of the bar you pull on which will require a stronger grip to pull any given weight.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I'm surprised that you might be getting calluses from lifting itself. Calluses really are only created when you have a friction path, which shouldn't exist if you have a good grip on the bar for whatever movements you're doing. I think the only calluses I have from lifting are between my thumb and forefinger from snatch grip bar movements.

With that said - I would also recommend not using grips - they simply limit your gripping ability on the bar and often can reduce the friction and usefulness of the knurling on the bar (mostly due to poor grip between your hand and the inside of the glove). If your calluses bother you (most people who lift grow to love their calluses), then pick up a pumice stone or callus shaver from amazon and sand/shave them down when they get too big.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I don't recommend gloves. What is wrong with some calluses? Just shows you do shit with your hands, I'd say its better to have them than to not have them. I have decent sized ones, mainly from the pullups because the palm of the hand rotates on the bar. Simply pushing a bar up like bench won't get you many, or holding the bar on squats. Its the rotation of the hand on a bar that will do it.

Sep 29, 2004
If you have calluses, you are holding the bar wrong. OK, that's a half truth. Your hands will get beat up. But read some articles on how to properly grab the bar. If you just walk up and grab the bar, you are doing it wrong. There is technique in everything in weight lifting!

I've deadlifted my max (320 or so) with no gloves or chalk. It's all in proper grip.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Add me to the "skip the gloves" group.
Best thing I ever did was chuck the gloves and switch to chalk.
Chalk is awesome
Chalk is your friend
Chalk is like a power up.