Lieberman Flip-Flip (with video!)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
You talk about them now as if they were trailer trash. However, last year, you contemplated voting for them. BTW, Obama's margin of victory was large compared to recent elections and he broke new ground as a Democrat in many places despite the fact he was a political novice and Palin was actually respected for a while. But don't let facts get in the way of your revisionist memory.
Guess that tells you how shitty your heroes are, doesn't it, that it was even somewhat close.

53% to 46% isn't exactly runaway, especially given who they were running against.

Consider the following presidents who won with bigger margins than Obama:
Clinton (twice)
George Bush Senior
Reagan (twice)
Richard Nixon (once)
Lyndon Johnson
FDR (3 times)

So no, not close compared to the other dummy the dems couldn't beat the last two elections :D

Last edited:

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Guess that tells you how shitty your heroes are, doesn't it, that it was even somewhat close.

53% to 46% isn't exactly runaway, especially given who they were running against.

Consider the following presidents who won with bigger margins than Obama:
Clinton (twice)
George Bush Senior
Reagan (twice)
Richard Nixon (once)
Lyndon Johnson
FDR (3 times)

So no, not close compared to the other dummy the dems couldn't beat the last two elections :D

A no name black senator winning in hicktown, VA and FL is no big deal?

Obama/Biden 365 McCain/Palin 173 . Looks crushing to me...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
US government is hugely corrupt, this is what you get.

I'm not at all convinced that Lieberman's shit he's pulling here has anything to do with corruption. Overall he has gotten very little in the way of money from insurance companies over the years, and he seems quite likely to step out of politics in 2012 (as he's certainly going to be defeated), rendering current or future contributions pretty pointless.

I really don't want to chalk his behavior up to petulance, but it's hard not to considering what we know. He's now on record saying that once he saw how excited the liberal wing of the party was about the idea that he supported, he decided he didn't like it anymore. While I'm sure that's not all of his opposition, I have no doubt that he is excited to stick his finger in the eye of the party.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I guess if you are deemed uninsurable by private insurers and don't have a public option or way to buy into Medicare, you can write Joe a thank you note.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I'm not at all convinced that Lieberman's shit he's pulling here has anything to do with corruption. Overall he has gotten very little in the way of money from insurance companies over the years, and he seems quite likely to step out of politics in 2012 (as he's certainly going to be defeated), rendering current or future contributions pretty pointless.

I really don't want to chalk his behavior up to petulance, but it's hard not to considering what we know. He's now on record saying that once he saw how excited the liberal wing of the party was about the idea that he supported, he decided he didn't like it anymore. While I'm sure that's not all of his opposition, I have no doubt that he is excited to stick his finger in the eye of the party.

Do you have a link/source for this?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Lieberman is like that guy who dragged out his colostomy bag in court a few weeks ago, he spends too much time eating his own shit. He's all about Joe.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Do you have a link/source for this?

http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/lieberman-the-fallout/?hp

And he said he was particularly troubled by the overly enthusiastic reaction to the proposal by some liberals, including Representative Anthony Weiner, Democrat of New York, who champions a fully government-run health care system.

“Congressman Weiner made a comment that Medicare-buy in is better than a public option, it’s the beginning of a road to single-payer,” Mr. Lieberman said. “Jacob Hacker, who’s a Yale professor who is actually the man who created the public option, said, ‘This is a dream. This is better than a public option. This is a giant step.’”

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Next health bill should just say "Medicare is open to everyone." Should quiet the critics saying the current bill is too long.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Heh, moveon.org apparently has raised well over half a million dollars in donations to "stick it to Lieberman" ;)

Bottom line is, if the Democrats began with a sensible plan, and actually included Republicans in the process, and didn't insult the American public every step of the way - Lieberman would never have been in the position he is in now to be demonized by the far left.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
A no name black senator winning in hicktown, VA and FL is no big deal?

Obama/Biden 365 McCain/Palin 173 . Looks crushing to me...

Wow, now there is an intelligent remark ;) Run the numbers, it is possible to win in the Electoral College 538-0 while winning in the popular vote 50.1% to 49.9%.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Next health bill should just say "Medicare is open to everyone." Should quiet the critics saying the current bill is too long.

Not to mention it would cancel pretty much everyone's insurance policies, since becoming eligible for medicare usually does that.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Heh, moveon.org apparently has raised well over half a million dollars in donations to "stick it to Lieberman" ;)

Bottom line is, if the Democrats began with a sensible plan, and actually included Republicans in the process, and didn't insult the American public every step of the way - Lieberman would never have been in the position he is in now to be demonized by the far left.

It has nothing to do with a 'sensible plan', it has to do with the fact that Republicans' ideas for health care and Democrats' ideas are totally different and in most cases irreconcilable. Since the Republicans have suffered catastrophic defeats for the last several elections, we are going with the Democrats' plan.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you would view what a 'sensible' plan is to be quite close to a 'Republican' plan.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Republicans don't have a healthcare plan. If they did, they would have passed it between 2000-2006.

Nov 30, 2006
Wait a minute. I thought they had a simple, comprehensive plan. Don't get sick. And...
I do believe the Republicans came up with a pharmacy plan many years ago...highly criticized...yet nothing was done to fix it the last 3 years. Also, if I recall correctly...the previous administration to Bush did nothing. Plenty of blame to go around...no?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
All his career Joe has been extremely popular with the media in CT, as he always made himself available to even the smallest paper, TV or radio station for an extended interview. After yesterday's episode of the "It All About Joe Show" starring No-Go Joe Lieberman the condemnation is pretty universal here. The only person I've heard speaking in favor of Lieberman's latest flip-flop obstructionism is the state GOP chairman, who is pretty well known as a brainless party hack anyway.

The general mood is of embarassment and betrayal.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
It has nothing to do with a 'sensible plan', it has to do with the fact that Republicans' ideas for health care and Democrats' ideas are totally different and in most cases irreconcilable. Since the Republicans have suffered catastrophic defeats for the last several elections, we are going with the Democrats' plan.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you would view what a 'sensible' plan is to be quite close to a 'Republican' plan.

"Plan" being more inclusive, including the legislation, the creation process, and the sales job.

Whatever you want to think about the legislation, there is no way you could honestly say that the process and the sales job were sensible.

If you say you reject the Republican's plan, fine than say that. At least you would be more honest than the Democrats in power, who continue to push their bullshit that Republicans never had any plan, nor offer any input to the process, even one saying on the floor that the Republicans' plan is to kill the sick...

Who knows what I might be more open to, if the process & sales job were honest. I reject the Dems' reasonings for the "crisis", as well as their approach to crafting the legislation.

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Who knows what I might be more open to, if the process & sales job were honest. I reject the Dems' reasonings for the "crisis", as well as their approach to crafting the legislation.

Seriously, has there been even one meeting discussing the healthcare bill televised live on CSPAN? All we got (and getting) was closed door meeting and deals behind those closed doors. I wonder whatever happened to the unprecedented level of transparency?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Seriously, has there been even one meeting discussing the healthcare bill televised live on CSPAN? All we got (and getting) was closed door meeting and deals behind those closed doors. I wonder whatever happened to the unprecedented level of transparency?

The only "transparency" Obama wanted was transparency on Republican corruption. He never once had intentions to ever allow Democrat corruption on camera.

I truly do believe that if Obama and the congressional leaders began their first 6 months of 2009 doing what they said they would, creating a more open & transparent government, bringing accountability back to Washington - even with the time delayed, we would have had health care legislation passed by now, as well as financial reform passed.

Last March Obama gave a speech when signing the omnibus spending bill "this piece of legislation must mark an end to the old way of doing business, and the beginning of a new era of responsibility and accountability that the American people have every right to expect and to demand." Who wants to take bets on whether he signs or vetos the new omnibus spending bill, with large spending increases across the board, and over 5,000 earmarks? Well, I suppose it's better than the 9,000+ earmarks in March's omnibus... but then again many of the porky earmarks were shifted over to the defense spending bill, despite having nothing to do with defense, to try and pull a fast one over on Republicans and we the public...

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
And with all these problems in Washington, "the left", the "progressives" just want to spend all their time and effort on demonizing Lieberman