Liberals, your chickens have come home to roost, now what

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
One of these days I'm gonna dress in chadoor, figure out where Max lives, and follow him around swearing at him in Arabic just to see if he drops dead of a heart attack ;)
Don't fuck with crazy people. The guy would probably kill you out of fear.

Reactions: MongGrel

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
All the more reason to not follow Europe's lead, and instead stick with our current policy of focusing on educated and skilled immigrants.

You mean our own lead?

Forgot to mention that Trump's muslim ban has precedent in the Exclusion Act, justified by your counterparts then for similar reasons.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
You mean our own lead?

Forgot to mention that Trump's muslim ban has precedent in the Exclusion Act, justified by your counterparts then for similar reasons.

Yes, I believe our immigration policy should remain as it currently is. Don't open the floodgates, don't ban all Muslims. We don't need to be Sweden or Japan, as right now legal immigrants in America commit far less crime and contribute to our society by being hard workers and tax payers. Take in educated ones for the most part, with a handful of refugees at highest risk for victimization.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Disastrous? Really? How so? So far it seems to be going rather well. There has been very few problems and...

... we have helped hundreds, thousands, millions. This sounds like a win to me.

I don't personally know a single person that has suffered at all, much less horribly. Do you? Or are you just listening to the voices in your head that tell you so?

Taking advantage of me? I'm offering them help, I expect them to take advantage of that.

Wow, what a weird world you live in. Are you so deluded that you think that it is hard to find suffering? Why would you not want to help them? How mean spirited are you? How hateful?

[Citation needed]

Do you really believe that people give up everything but what they can carry on their backs to take a long and grueling journey, mostly on foot, though harsh and hostile lands, with out knowing where they will end up just for the hell of it? The people that are strong enough and willful enough to do so are exactly the people we want. Those are the people that are made of strong stuff.

My Grandmother came to America from the Soviet Union. My grandmother gave up everything, family, friends, and what little possessions she had to come to a country whose language she did not speak, and only had rumors that she would be offered sanctuary if she got here, and almost certain death if they did not. She was smuggled in a crate across the ocean, and spent the next 15 years paying off her debt as an indentured servant (which she didn't know was illegal in the US until my mom was old enough to tell her.) She would have been one of those people you rant against. She never learned much English, and kept mostly the Russian culture she grew up with, yet she loved this country with a fierceness that I've only ever seen matched in other immigrants.

I can only assume that you believe that these people are trying to take advantage of us because that is what you would do. The reality is most of these people are eternally grateful for our help. Most of these people love our nation and want to be a part of it. It is only when people like you show them so much hate that they become bitter.

Good responses but I don't think you'll get through the fear. And it is fear.

What folks who follow Bluemaxes reasoning are saying is they can't handle the minuscule risk of a terrorist incident to potentially save 1,000s of people. They try to hide their cowardice and lack of empathy behind "tough talk" about "hard decisions".

Besides, bringing refugees here can help moderate any fundamentalist tendencies by removing them from that environment especially if they are treated with respect and care. That's an ethical response and it strategically helps us. Sure 30 years later one of their kids might shoot up someplace but how many potential terrorists grew up to be something good.

The conservative postion is nothing but fear and BS.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004

What folks who follow Bluemaxes reasoning are saying is they can't handle the minuscule risk of a terrorist incident to potentially save 1,000s of people. They try to hide their cowardice and lack of empathy behind "tough talk" about "hard decisions".

Besides, bringing refugees here can help moderate any fundamentalist tendencies by removing them from that environment especially if they are treated with respect and care. That's an ethical response and it strategically helps us. Sure 30 years later one of their kids might shoot up someplace but how many potential terrorists grew up to be something good.

What is the number of refugees that you think should be taken in by the United States on an annual basis?

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Yes, I believe our immigration policy should remain as it currently is. Don't open the floodgates, don't ban all Muslims. We don't need to be Sweden or Japan, as right now legal immigrants in America commit far less crime and contribute to our society by being hard workers and tax payers. Take in educated ones for the most part, with a handful of refugees at highest risk for victimization.

Our de facto immigration accounts for cheap labor from the south, no different than the former chinese or blacks, or muslims in france, etc. You're simply using higher minded rationalizations than the trump crowd.

The "fear" is largely a justification for hating people ethnically different from them. Did the antebellum south really have much to fear of the blacks? But if black people or muslims are scary (and those mexican rapists), all the more reason to discriminate against them.

Roflmouth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2015

What folks who follow Bluemaxes reasoning are saying is they can't handle the minuscule risk of a terrorist incident to potentially save 1,000s of people.

In completely unrelated news, how many Muslim refugees have you signed up to host?

They try to hide their cowardice and lack of empathy behind "tough talk" about "hard decisions".

Yes, those bombs on the East Coast this weekend were nought but figments of our imagination.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
What is the number of refugees that you think should be taken in by the United States on an annual basis?

I'd have to know what criteria are being considered/used to determine that number now before I ventured a guess.

We can't take everyone but we don't have to take no one because some people have a code brown at the thought of terrorism. Especially when, statistically your chance of dying in a terrorist attack is effectively 0.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
In completely unrelated news, how many Muslim refugees have you signed up to host?

About as many children as you've adopted or rocket launches you've given a "GO" for.

(Which isn't surprising since I have no method of forcing the government to allow anyone entrance to the country)

Yes, those bombs on the East Coast this weekend were nought but figments of our imagination.

No the figment of your imagination was that you would die from one.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Our de facto immigration accounts for cheap labor from the south, no different than the former chinese or blacks, or muslims in france, etc. You're simply using higher minded rationalizations than the trump crowd.

The main difference is that illegal immigration is effectively free-market labor and able to quickly adapt to market fluctuations. Unlike certain right-wing projections would predict, we actually see immigration from the south flattening out or even dropping. Why? Dwindling work opportunities. The same lack of border allowing anyone to come up here also allows anyone to leave. Flying in people from the other side of the world, especially those that may not enjoy full citizenship in their home nations (e.g. oppressed Kurds), and making them citizens puts us in a position where we are stuck with excess labor.

I'd have to know what criteria are being considered/used to determine that number now before I ventured a guess.

We can't take everyone but we don't have to take no one because some people have a code brown at the thought of terrorism. Especially when, statistically your chance of dying in a terrorist attack is effectively 0.

OK, I can agree with that. Terrorism isn't a major concern to me, our murder rate is already incredibly high in certain parts of the country, and terrorism is something largely created due to our government's meddling in the Middle-East.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
The main difference is that illegal immigration is effectively free-market labor and able to quickly adapt to market fluctuations. Unlike certain right-wing projections would predict, we actually see immigration from the south flattening out or even dropping. Why? Dwindling work opportunities. The same lack of border allowing anyone to come up here also allows anyone to leave. Flying in people from the other side of the world, especially those that may not enjoy full citizenship in their home nations (e.g. oppressed Kurds), and making them citizens puts us in a position where we are stuck with excess labor.

I'm simply explaining the parallels between what we do and the muslim underclass in france & such you mentioned above.

OK, I can agree with that. Terrorism isn't a major concern to me, our murder rate is already incredibly high in certain parts of the country, and terrorism is something largely created due to our government's meddling in the Middle-East.

Naw, it's because they hate our virtue so we gotta kill them all before they have a chance to hit back.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
It doesn't. When they redefined it in 1998 (or thereabouts, not in a place where I can re-Google this right now) you did see a massive jump due to broadening of the definition, but in spite of that you still see a consistent increase for basically the entire period following. There is still a consistent trend upwards when much of Europe had flatlined or gone in the opposite direction.

EDIT: 1992 apparently, not 1998

It's right there in my link, just a couple lines down

For example, Sweden reformed its sex crime legislation and made the legal definition of rape much wider in 2005,[3][4][8][12] which largely explains a significant increase in the number of reported rapes in the ten-year period of 2004-2013

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
It's right there in my link, just a couple lines down

Protecting white women from darkie rapists is the classic white nationalist rationalization, used against the blacks, the chinese per the exclusion act mention, etc, and now the mexicans and muslims. It's so deeply ingrained in american conservative psyche it infects even not quite white nationalists.

Reactions: AnonymouseUser

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

How many act of terrorism has been committed by refugees in the US? We have a very strict criteria to bring in refugees.

Furthermore, there have been studies that show most terrorists are U.S.-born citizens. Data from the New America Foundation show 80 percent of terrorists attacks since 9/11 have been committed by U.S. citizens, and 64 percent were born in the U.S.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
We have land borders. There will be immigrants. Get over it.

England has the english channel after all. Australia is an island. Japan is fairly closed off.

It actually has more to do with geography than the will of the people. You can't really will away a connected landmass.

Mainland Europe is a clusterfuck of immigration, cliques, divisive cultures, and the flash point for world wars for a reason.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
oooo... chickens have come home to roost, now what? Let's see...

Fried chicken
Chicken stew
Chicken Parmesan
Chicken fricassee
Eggs

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I thoroughly enjoyed the OP's claim that liberals chickens have come home to roost while simultaneously complaining about not being able to get a job and insurance all while supporting politicians and policies that have directly affected his ability to get a job and health insurance. The irony here is so delicious. I know I shouldn't wallow in another mans misery but there is something so satisfying when an ideologue like texashiker gets his comeuppance due to his own ideologies playing out in the real world.

Lucky for me, I hope th finds a government program that will help him that is paid for by people like me who don't mind paying taxes to help people like him.

Last edited:

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed the OP's claim that liberals chickens have come home to roost while simultaneously complaining about not being able to get a job and insurance all while supporting politicians and policies that have directly affected his ability to get a job and health insurance. The irony here is so delicious. I know I shouldn't wallow in another mans misery but there is something so satisfying when an ideologue like texashiker gets his comeuppance do to his own ideologies playing out in the real world.

Lucky for me, I hope th finds a government program that will help him that is paid for by people like me who don't mind paying taxes to help people like him.

Maybe he can find military industry work white welfare.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Slight problem with that.
Majority of Paris attackers entered Europe posing as refugees
Seven of the nine ISIS jihadis who launched a series of coordinated terrorist attacks in Paris last November entered Europe by posing as refugees.
Counterterrorism officials in Hungary believe ISIS set up a “logistics hub” in the country in the Summer of 2015 at the peak of the migrant crisis, with jihadis taking advantage of Europe’s porous borders to slip into Western Europe through Eastern Europe's Balkan routes.
Open borders cannot be our policy.
You call a position against Islamic Terrorism fear and BS, amidst the carnage they are causing. Willful ignorance could be viewed as complicity in those attacks. Foreign based Terrorism would not be what it is today without enablers in our countries. Simple matter of fact that September 11th happened the same way. Open borders has caused deaths, great tragedies, and wars.