Liberal News (Associated Press) droping term 'illegal immigrants'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
You think everyone will screech in horror one day at the use of illegal, as if equivalent to n*****? One is pretty much a bannable offense, the other not so much - yet we're certainly on our way towards training people to respond negatively towards the term illegal.

They appear to be working towards that end. Especially if we get "comprehensive immigration reform", whereby all the illegals are given papers to make them "legal". I'm still going to call them illegal - but oh, then they won't be! The term would be technically wrong to use then, which ups the anti for bleeding heart opponents of the term.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
You think everyone will screech in horror one day at the use of illegal, as if equivalent to n*****? One is pretty much a bannable offense, the other not so much - yet we're certainly on our way towards training people to respond negatively towards the term illegal.

They appear to be working towards that end.
Media likes to control the way we think. Look at abortion and the words used to describe each side of the issue. How many times do you see the media referring to abortion proponents as pro-choice (instead of pro-abortion or anti-life) while referring to abortion opponents as anti-choice or anti-abortion (instead of pro-life)?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Not that the willful prose change isn't bad enough for its readership, but, the worst thing about this is:

You know, like every other Org/Company, something like this doesn't get released without the approval of Leadership. Before it gets approval to be released by Leadership, it is talked about and agreed upon by Leadership that it will be released. And, while sometimes Leadership comes up with gems like this on their own, very often (in my experience it's like 60/40 to 70/30) the seeds of these ideas come from some level below Leadership...the sub-Leadership, management, etc.

Likely what we have here is the majority (or those with enough collective power) of AP management, plus its Leadership, showing its true political leanings (leanings that Lefties say just don't exist) and making them public, rather than keeping them private/semi-private.

When dealing with media (note: not news, but, media), a really good lesson to keep in mind.

Chuck

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Why does anyone care what anyone else believes? I care because the inability of the average person to see the leftist media agenda for what it is causes us as a nation to pursue dumb policies.

You should care about both leftist and right-wing agendas.. not only one or the other.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I hate illegals but this is clearly a troll thread, and I cannot take it seriously.

Bullshit. It's an entirely valid topic, and IMO the OP is right. This is pure political correctness, and actually worse than that, since it's deliberately trying to cover up the truth about a serious problem.

I say this as someone who never agrees with him about anythibng.

xBiffx is right -- too many people declare anything posted that they don't like as "trolling". It's a load of manure.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Ironic comparison as both appear to be based on faith these days.

Well, both require you to put faith into their truthfulness.

Religion is different, though, in that it's an invisible product; media products can be verified/refuted, but religious beliefs and claims almost always cannot.

Oct 16, 1999
Bullshit. It's an entirely valid topic, and IMO the OP is right. This is pure political correctness, and actually worse than that, since it's deliberately trying to cover up the truth about a serious problem.

I say this as someone who never agrees with him about anythibng.

xBiffx is right -- too many people declare anything posted that they don't like as "trolling". It's a load of manure.

Please, the term is used to invoke the same reaction as "criminal" to push a political agenda. "Illegal immigrant" is political incorrectness and it's intentional. We don't call speeders "illegals" underage drinkers "illegals" tax cheats "illegals" cohabitants "illegals" or anyone else that isn't in compliance with the law to a degree they shouldn't be thrown in jail for.

Troll thread, troll term, troll agenda.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Well, both require you to put faith into their truthfulness.

Religion is different, though, in that it's an invisible product; media products can be verified/refuted, but religious beliefs and claims almost always cannot.

You are guilty of what you are accusing religious nuts being guilty of. Blind faith in something. You believe/disbelieve what the media tells you simply because you agree/disagree with it. Unless you have firsthand knowledge of what is going on in the news it is nothing more than blind faith in the truth of what they are reporting. If you agree, then it must be somewhat true.

There is plenty in the news that can't be verified.

You fail to see the difference. Its cute.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Please, the term is used to invoke the same reaction as "criminal" to push a political agenda. "Illegal immigrant" is political incorrectness and it's intentional. We don't call speeders "illegals" underage drinkers "illegals" tax cheats "illegals" cohabitants "illegals" or anyone else that isn't in compliance with the law to a degree they shouldn't be thrown in jail for.

Wow...just....wow....

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
You are guilty of what you are accusing religious nuts being guilty of. Blind faith in something. You believe/disbelieve what the media tells you simply because you agree/disagree with it. Unless you have firsthand knowledge of what is going on in the news it is nothing more than blind faith in the truth of what they are reporting. If you agree, then it must be somewhat true.

There is plenty in the news that can't be verified.

You fail to see the difference. Its cute.

I have no faith in what the media tells me. You don't have a clue what you're talking about when it comes to what I believe/disbelieve... not that lacking a clue has ever stopped you before.

Please resume talking out of your ass... it's cute.

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011

Guess we can throw out the dictionary then, its trolling us. Really bad when its political incorrectness to call a spade a spade.

Let me help.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illegal

Yep pretty sure that definition is an accurate description of these people. Seeing is how they broke or are breaking the law being here. They are not authorized by any law to be here.

Please resume shoving your head in the sand.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
ILLEGALS (regardless of who they are or where they are from) are breaking immigration laws to come and stay in the US, whether sneaking in ILLEGALLY in the first place or overstaying their visas later ==> ILLEGAL immigrants. Period.

Here, let me help some of you.

LEGALS = fully compliance with immigration law = Good.

ILLEGALS = NOT compliance with immigration law = Bad.

Very simple to understand.

Why don't some of you try to sneak in Mexico and then declare yourself as "undocumented immigrants" and let see how Mexican government will treat you. I am sure El Presidente will grant you amnesty. <trying not to laugh too hard>

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I have no faith in what the media tells me. You don't have a clue what you're talking about when it comes to what I believe/disbelieve... not that lacking a clue has ever stopped you before.

Please resume talking out of your ass... it's cute.

ROFL. Yet its okay for you to talk about what others believe/disbelieve because somehow you have a clue. Nice double standard.

Oct 16, 1999
Guess we can throw out the dictionary then, its trolling us. Really bad when its political incorrectness to call a spade a spade.

Let me help.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illegal

Yep pretty sure that definition is an accurate description of these people. Seeing is how they broke or are breaking the law being here. They are not authorized by any law to be here.

Please resume shoving your head in the sand.

Here's some dictionary for you and everyone else:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/denotation
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/connotation
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/double standard
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigotry

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
You can't be serious. I'm not even going there as this has already gone off topic enough.

:rolleyes: Yes, where in this thread have I asserted what other people believe/disbelieve?

I've said what they should do and asked why they care about what others believe, but not presumed to know what they believe or don't believe.

I don't care if it's off-topic... I'm not going to let your idiocy go un-answered.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011

Sorry, you have to stretch really hard to explain how those apply. I only have to look at the definition of the word illegal to see its application. No explanation necessary outside this thread, that is.

Not authorized sums it up pretty well.

Last edited: