Discussion Lian-Li Lancool II

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
615385_041921_01_front_zoom.jpg

Just placed an order for this case. It'll be an upgrade over my 10 year old Cooler Master HAF932 which has gotten me through 3-4 builds including one in the early days of water cooling with a custom loop of 2 x 360 radiators cooling a Q6600 (2.4ghz stock) to 3.6ghz @ 1.45vcore and an EK full cover 8800gts video card. This case swallowed it up. It was never the best quality case, but this would be proof that cases generally last forever.

Only newegg and amazon sold this case in black (microcenter in white). Leading to not much competition and long wait lists. Mine is set to come in march or something. I got this case for the Lian Li Quality (have a 15 year old Lian Li V1000B still in better shape than cases nearly brand new), 3 included case fans, and USB C option in the front (theres supposedly a cable I need to buy to attach to the mb?)

Can't find much feedback other than from some youtubers that all received this case free for making the video.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
I have this case in black what would you like to know? A few things I found
  • cable management is excellent
  • very well made can't expect better for the price
  • stock fans suck, cooling overall is below average will be worse than your HAF932 (I also have this case still use it)
  • HD cage is cheap and bends easily
  • built in RGB controller and LEDs are nice but the controller has limited modes. Comes with a connector to go to your motherboard so you can choose between built in or mobo rgb software
  • 280mm AIO fits on the top of the case even though Lian Li says it doesn't.
I wouldn't buy this case if you're someone with tons of mechanical drives and a bunch of other hardware to stuff in, but if you want a nice gaming and general use PC with modern storage it's great.

As you probably know the case has no USB C on the top panel that's an option but I don't care about that in fact I machined a piece of acrylic and turned the space into a drive activity LED, which the case lacks.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
I have this case in black what would you like to know? A few things I found
  • cable management is excellent
  • very well made can't expect better for the price
  • stock fans suck, cooling overall is below average will be worse than your HAF932 (I also have this case still use it)
  • HD cage is cheap and bends easily
  • built in RGB controller and LEDs are nice but the controller has limited modes. Comes with a connector to go to your motherboard so you can choose between built in or mobo rgb software
  • 280mm AIO fits on the top of the case even though Lian Li says it doesn't.
I wouldn't buy this case if you're someone with tons of mechanical drives and a bunch of other hardware to stuff in, but if you want a nice gaming and general use PC with modern storage it's great.

As you probably know the case has no USB C on the top panel that's an option but I don't care about that in fact I machined a piece of acrylic and turned the space into a drive activity LED, which the case lacks.

We sure have the same tastes!

Basically... because I haven't been able to touch and feel this case Vs the Fractal Design Define C, I was hoping I made the better decision in quality. My 15 year old Lian Li was amazing quality, but I also know Lian Li doesn't make entire brushed aluminum cases like that anymore.

My mb only has 1x USB 3.0 header for the front panel. I assume i'll use it for that, but I was also hoping to be able to buy the $11 Lian Li USB-C cable for the front panel and use that on the MB. Anyway I can use that for the Gigabyte Aorus B450 Wifi Pro?

My drive setup is super easy: 1x NVME (irrelevant to this since its on the mb), 1x Sata SSD, 1x 3.5 HDD that i'm soon phasing out, but still using that for photo and video storage.

I was hoping for a decently quiet system, But since the 3x stock fans suck, they may be ramping up and get loud. My CPU cooler is a Noctua D14 with the 2x included fans (pretty quiet). I was thinking of using 2x stock fans for intakes in the front blowing across the CPU cooler and Video Card, and 1x exhaust fan out the rear.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
We sure have the same tastes!

Basically... because I haven't been able to touch and feel this case Vs the Fractal Design Define C, I was hoping I made the better decision in quality. My 15 year old Lian Li was amazing quality, but I also know Lian Li doesn't make entire brushed aluminum cases like that anymore.
I have not seen the Define C in person but I don't like the look of it. Personal preference of course, and it does have inferior cable management for sure.
My mb only has 1x USB 3.0 header for the front panel. I assume i'll use it for that, but I was also hoping to be able to buy the $11 Lian Li USB-C cable for the front panel and use that on the MB. Anyway I can use that for the Gigabyte Aorus B450 Wifi Pro?
I don't think that mobo has a USB C connector on the board? I could be wrong.
My drive setup is super easy: 1x NVME (irrelevant to this since its on the mb), 1x Sata SSD, 1x 3.5 HDD that i'm soon phasing out, but still using that for photo and video storage.
You're set here, one of the reasons I got this case is it has 3 3.5 inch bays most new cases have 2, 1 or sometimes none.
I was hoping for a decently quiet system, But since the 3x stock fans suck, they may be ramping up and get loud. My CPU cooler is a Noctua D14 with the 2x included fans (pretty quiet). I was thinking of using 2x stock fans for intakes in the front blowing across the CPU cooler and Video Card, and 1x exhaust fan out the rear.
I'm using 3 Deepcool 120mm ARGB fans for the front intake, and 5 EZDIY-FAB Moonlight 120mm for the Deepcool AIO and intake (bottom of case) and rear outlet. May seem like overkill but it's not the fans barely have to spin up during normal operation they are almost silent unless you're 2 feet from the case.

EZDIY-FAB fans are inexpensive and work well, but they are not high airflow so don't use them if you are only panning on using 1-2 fans. The Deecool's are 45cfm the EZDIY 35cfm or around there. If you are not into RGB then there are more choices for airflow/silence.

....almost forgot to say the stock fans have good airflow but they drone due to the fan blade shape. I'm wondering if other people will find this as well I've watched quite a few vids on this case none of them mentioned the droning tendency.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
The front panel aRGB lighting, which header on my mb do i connect that to? RGB is completely new to me, and i may just turn it off completely. But in case i wanted to make sure things worked well and synced with my MB's RGB lighting and allow my software to control and synchronize them.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
There is a wire with connector that plugs into a small PCB on the front panel, the other end goes to your motherboard. I don't remember if the case came with the GigaByte style connector on one end, have an ASUS mobo it did come with one that works for it.* All of this will make perfect sense once you get the case. If you don't care about RGB then simply don't connect the front panel SATA power connector that is supposed to go to your power supply. If you don't use the case RGB then you could remove the metal mesh filters from the front panel for better airflow, they are painted silver on the outside which helps to blend/reflect the RGB strips.

I'm not a big fan of RGB I mostly keep it off but sometimes I like it.

* I'm sure there are converter cables

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Got the case today👍Great quality, very fun to build in. Lots of useful cutouts. Fit my noctua d14 with 2 fans with ease. Used the 3x fans as 2x intake in front for CPU and video card cooling.

How do I program the front LEDs to turn off? The mode button only shuffles throigh modes, but none of the modes is off

Last edited:

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Max Temps:
Running the OCCT Power Test (maxing out both CPU + GPU)
Room Temp: 73-74F

AMD 3600X w/ Noctua D14 w/ 2 stock fans after 10 minutes: No Load - 37C
AMD RX580 (overclocked) w/ stock cooler after 10 minutes: No Load - 55C
AMD 3600X w/ Noctua D14 w/ 2 stock fans after 10 minutes: 75C
AMD RX580 (overclocked) w/ stock cooler after 10 minutes: 86C

I have 2 stock fans moved to the front for intake,
1 stock fan in the rear as exhaust.

Got pretty warm up in there, but since I would never load up the system to this level under normal use, i'm content with these max temps.

The 3600x gets pretty hot though... is that the general consensus?

tjan2

Jul 2, 2020
Hi, I have a question. If my motherboard doesn't have 3pin header and I just plug in the SATA for the RGB will the RGB work? Would I be able to still control it with 2 buttons (i dont know where those 2 buttons connect because i havent got the case yet pls help)

BigTymeRProdigy

Jul 6, 2020
Hi, I have a question. If my motherboard doesn't have 3pin header and I just plug in the SATA for the RGB will the RGB work? Would I be able to still control it with 2 buttons (i dont know where those 2 buttons connect because i havent got the case yet pls help)
Let me know if this works for you. I just built a pc for my friend with the white Lancool 2 and we haven't even been able to get the RGB on at all. We've plugged everything in including the 3 pin adressable RGB headers and nothing turns on even if we press the buttons. We've also plugged it into itself so I'm not sure if the RGB strip is dead on arrival or what the issue is but I've done a ridiculous amount of research with zero luck/resolution yet.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Need to make sure you understand the difference between RGB and ARGB. RBG is 12 volt, 4 pin each LED cannot be addressed individually. ARGB is 5 volt 3 pin each LED is addressable. Which are you trying to use?

The case LED strips are ARGB.

chappedchap

Mar 14, 2021
Let me know if this works for you. I just built a pc for my friend with the white Lancool 2 and we haven't even been able to get the RGB on at all. We've plugged everything in including the 3 pin adressable RGB headers and nothing turns on even if we press the buttons. We've also plugged it into itself so I'm not sure if the RGB strip is dead on arrival or what the issue is but I've done a ridiculous amount of research with zero luck/resolution yet.

Were you able to get the front panel RGB working? I'm running around in circles as well having tried everything I can think of with no success.