Question LG TV red light blinks 3 times then turns off

Murid

Feb 7, 2019
I bought this TV about 2 years ago.This week, when I went to turn it on, the power light button would blink 3 times then shut off.

Model: LG 65UH5500-UA

What I have tried doing:
-Making sure everything was plugged in.
-Unplugged everything except the TV which was connected to the wall.
-Unplugged everything, held the power button for 30 seconds, then let TV rest for 6 hours before trying it again.

All of these gave me the same result: I would, once in a while, see the LG logo for a split second and then it would turn back off.

Thank you for reading and for helping!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Typically that means either bad power (either the board, transformer, or caps), or another component like the backlight (which many times fail in such a way that they attempt to draw a lot of extra power, exceeding what is available from the power rail).

I believe LG states to unplug the TV for 6 hours (so that the internal caps have some time to drain) and then attempt to plug it back in and power up. This resets something on the power board which can sometimes have been the problem. Otherwise it is a hardware issue. Not sure if your warranty is still good (don't know if it was a 1 year or 3 year... but also check if you used a credit card, may of them give you a 2 year extended warranty on items that you purchase).

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I have a Panasonic flat screen that does the same thing and has for about 4 years. I usually keep turning it off and back on and after 3 or 4 cycles usually it comes on and is fine.

Murid

Feb 7, 2019
Typically that means either bad power (either the board, transformer, or caps), or another component like the backlight (which many times fail in such a way that they attempt to draw a lot of extra power, exceeding what is available from the power rail).

I believe LG states to unplug the TV for 6 hours (so that the internal caps have some time to drain) and then attempt to plug it back in and power up. This resets something on the power board which can sometimes have been the problem. Otherwise it is a hardware issue. Not sure if your warranty is still good (don't know if it was a 1 year or 3 year... but also check if you used a credit card, may of them give you a 2 year extended warranty on items that you purchase).

Is there anyway to test out what is working and what isn't working without replacing the parts? I have a multi-meter I just don't know where I can get a wiring diagram and what to look for besides if the capacitors are popped

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Sorry to hear. I hate LG electronics. I just replaced an LG made refrigerator ( 4,000 dollar model ) that was only 4 years old due to the crappy manufacturing. Repair dude stated it would cost 1600 dollars to repair plus his 250 service charge.

Bought a new ( different model ) that fits the built in area for less than 2 grand. Don't have all the bells and whistles as the LG, but it doesn't matter if its broken.

Murid

Feb 7, 2019
Sorry to hear. I hate LG electronics. I just replaced an LG made refrigerator ( 4,000 dollar model ) that was only 4 years old due to the crappy manufacturing. Repair dude stated it would cost 1600 dollars to repair plus his 250 service charge.

Bought a new ( different model ) that fits the built in area for less than 2 grand. Don't have all the bells and whistles as the LG, but it doesn't matter if its broken.

I Would buy a new tv but i feel like its something simple, I had gotten it to turn on one time randomly and then I thought maybe its been running for too long so i shut it off and let it rest but now its just resting in peace

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It is probably something simple like the power supply board. Just need to locate the prints to diagnose the issue or throw parts at it.

Reactions: Murid

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is there anyway to test out what is working and what isn't working without replacing the parts? I have a multi-meter I just don't know where I can get a wiring diagram and what to look for besides if the capacitors are popped
Only place that I saw having the service manual : https://www.service-manual.net/ashop/catalogue.php?searchstring=LG 65UH5500&showresult=true&exp=&resultpage=&categories=off&search=catalogue.php

Don't really know anything about that site, or if they are legit (not sure I would pay $10 for something that doesn't also include the parts list in the manual, which is usually the case for service manuals). First time I have seen that you had to buy the service manual (heck, I found the service manual of my 12 year old CRT TV online for free which let me determine that I could mod it for RGB input).

Reactions: Murid

Murid

Feb 7, 2019
Only place that I saw having the service manual : https://www.service-manual.net/ashop/catalogue.php?searchstring=LG 65UH5500&showresult=true&exp=&resultpage=&categories=off&search=catalogue.php

Don't really know anything about that site, or if they are legit (not sure I would pay $10 for something that doesn't also include the parts list in the manual, which is usually the case for service manuals). First time I have seen that you had to buy the service manual (heck, I found the service manual of my 12 year old CRT TV online for free which let me determine that I could mod it for RGB input).

Thank you very much I'll see if I can find a free one before buying don't want to end up paying for it not and not being able t o fix the tv

ulrick65

Oct 17, 2019
I thought I would post my results on this similar problem with my LG 65uh5500-ua TV. I had the same problem as a LOT of other people. Seems like it updated firmware (damn automatic updates sometimes!) and then when I turn it on, it flashes the logo on the screen and goes blank. Then the power light flashes twice. This happened back in April, and I had it sitting in basement since then but finally decided to see if I could get it going.

I bought a new power board, but it did same thing. I put old one back in and then figured out that what is happening is that when the TV comes out of standby, a signal is sent BACK to the power supply on the wire labeled "Fail" and the TV shuts down and flashes the power light. I disconnected that wire (just pulled it out of the connector, carefully by releasing the holding tab on the pin and pulling out the wire). I then plugged the connector back into the power board (with the fail wire disconnected) and the TV powers up normally. I have tested it for about an hour and don't see any issues...so I intend to run it like this and see what happens.

I am not crazy about it...as I am concerned about what the failure is that it wants to power off for (likely something with the LED strips as many have said, but I am not going down the road of that big repair)...but so far have not seen any issues, no excessive heating, no blank areas on the screen or anything, so we will see what happens. Perhaps I will unplug it when we are not watching it for a while just to be sure it doesn't do something crazy (like burn up or whatever).

Not a sure fire recommended "fix" for anything, but does allow the TV work...so I thought I would post it. Your mileage may vary...so proceed at your own risk I guess.

Reactions: Abolishedshark

Swaysway510

Oct 18, 2019
I thought I would post my results on this similar problem with my LG 65uh5500-ua TV. I had the same problem as a LOT of other people. Seems like it updated firmware (damn automatic updates sometimes!) and then when I turn it on, it flashes the logo on the screen and goes blank. Then the power light flashes twice. This happened back in April, and I had it sitting in basement since then but finally decided to see if I could get it going.

I bought a new power board, but it did same thing. I put old one back in and then figured out that what is happening is that when the TV comes out of standby, a signal is sent BACK to the power supply on the wire labeled "Fail" and the TV shuts down and flashes the power light. I disconnected that wire (just pulled it out of the connector, carefully by releasing the holding tab on the pin and pulling out the wire). I then plugged the connector back into the power board (with the fail wire disconnected) and the TV powers up normally. I have tested it for about an hour and don't see any issues...so I intend to run it like this and see what happens.

I am not crazy about it...as I am concerned about what the failure is that it wants to power off for (likely something with the LED strips as many have said, but I am not going down the road of that big repair)...but so far have not seen any issues, no excessive heating, no blank areas on the screen or anything, so we will see what happens. Perhaps I will unplug it when we are not watching it for a while just to be sure it doesn't do something crazy (like burn up or whatever).

Not a sure fire recommended "fix" for anything, but does allow the TV work...so I thought I would post it. Your mileage may vary...so proceed at your own risk I guess.

I dont see a "fail" wire. Can you explain which wire it is?

ulrick65

Oct 17, 2019
I dont see a "fail" wire. Can you explain which wire it is?

It is likely different on different model power supplies perhaps? On mine, which is a P6L01D power supply on my LG 65UH5500 TV, is is clearly labeled "Fail" on the board...and also on the LED driver board that the power supply connects to. On my power supply, it is the 5th wire up from the bottom. With the wires labeled like this (top to bottom):

80v - Red Wire
80v - Red Wire
80v - Red Wire
80v - Red Wire
NC - Red Wire
GND - Black Wire
GND - Black Wire
GND - Black Wire
GND - Black Wire
GND - Black Wire
FAIL - Black Wire
13.2v - Red Wire
13.2v - Red Wire
13.2v - Red Wire
STB - Black Wire

What happens is this:

When plugged in:

The 80v pins are putting out about 60v (don't remember exactly)
The 13.2v pins are putting out about 10v (don't remember exactly)
There is zero volts on the STB and the FAIL pins

When power is turned on:

The STB pin gets a signal (I dont remember the voltage unfortunately) from the LED driver board (I dont know the real name of that board, but its the one that the power supply connects to in the TV).

The power supply then ups the voltage to about the listed voltage above and the TV panel comes on with the LG Logo for a split second

The FAIL pin then gets a signal of 6v from the LED Driver Board and the power supply shuts back down to the initial power outputs (standby mode).

I believe what is a bit confusing to some is that the pin labeled STB is actually NOT standby power, but the signal coming back to turn on the power supply to full power. Actually, on the LED Driver board side that wire is labeled "PS On" (or something like that) which to me means Power Supply On...and that is exactly how it behaves.

I have been running the TV for a few days now...for hours and hours per day (basically on from morning to night since we are all home this week and wife has been playing PS4 anytime not watching the TV pretty much...and no issues at all with that wire disconnnected.

I think that the Firmware was updated and somehow because more sensitive to power fluctuations and now triggers the fail when really there is nothing wrong...but that is just my GUESS at this point. It could very well be that an LED strip is going bad and pulling down the voltage or something, but you sure wouldnt know it from looking at the screen...it looks perfect even in 4K displays.

Thanks.

Reactions: CluelessInDallas

CluelessInDallas

Feb 5, 2020
Hi Ulrick - I'm having this issue for OLED65B6P. Were you able to find a reference site that would show where the below pins are located? LG told me my tv wasn't worth fixing yesterday, so I don't have anything to lose. Would like to try disconnecting the "Fail". Thanks!

It is likely different on different model power supplies perhaps? On mine, which is a P6L01D power supply on my LG 65UH5500 TV, is is clearly labeled "Fail" on the board...and also on the LED driver board that the power supply connects to. On my power supply, it is the 5th wire up from the bottom. With the wires labeled like this (top to bottom):

80v - Red Wire
80v - Red Wire
80v - Red Wire
80v - Red Wire
NC - Red Wire
GND - Black Wire
GND - Black Wire
GND - Black Wire
GND - Black Wire
GND - Black Wire
FAIL - Black Wire
13.2v - Red Wire
13.2v - Red Wire
13.2v - Red Wire
STB - Black Wire

What happens is this:

When plugged in:

The 80v pins are putting out about 60v (don't remember exactly)
The 13.2v pins are putting out about 10v (don't remember exactly)
There is zero volts on the STB and the FAIL pins

When power is turned on:

The STB pin gets a signal (I dont remember the voltage unfortunately) from the LED driver board (I dont know the real name of that board, but its the one that the power supply connects to in the TV).

The power supply then ups the voltage to about the listed voltage above and the TV panel comes on with the LG Logo for a split second

The FAIL pin then gets a signal of 6v from the LED Driver Board and the power supply shuts back down to the initial power outputs (standby mode).

I believe what is a bit confusing to some is that the pin labeled STB is actually NOT standby power, but the signal coming back to turn on the power supply to full power. Actually, on the LED Driver board side that wire is labeled "PS On" (or something like that) which to me means Power Supply On...and that is exactly how it behaves.

I have been running the TV for a few days now...for hours and hours per day (basically on from morning to night since we are all home this week and wife has been playing PS4 anytime not watching the TV pretty much...and no issues at all with that wire disconnnected.

I think that the Firmware was updated and somehow because more sensitive to power fluctuations and now triggers the fail when really there is nothing wrong...but that is just my GUESS at this point. It could very well be that an LED strip is going bad and pulling down the voltage or something, but you sure wouldnt know it from looking at the screen...it looks perfect even in 4K displays.

Thanks.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hi Ulrick - I'm having this issue for OLED65B6P. Were you able to find a reference site that would show where the below pins are located? LG told me my tv wasn't worth fixing yesterday, so I don't have anything to lose. Would like to try disconnecting the "Fail". Thanks!
Well, the thing you have to lose is your house if it starts a fire...

ulrick65

Oct 17, 2019

I don't have any site to refer to and a quick google on your TV shows a completely different power board...so I wouldn't know where to point you at this point.

Is it a similar type issue, where you get the logo then it powers down and flashes the power LED?

I don't know about these damn TV 's these days. The failure rate seems to be pretty high and they don't last more than a few years and for the cost of them, you would expect more. However, I also realize that although we read about all the failures, people don't post about the ones that don't...so perhaps the failure rate is really low and they just sell so many that it seems like a lot. It doesn't really matter when it's yours that failed and you're the one out hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

I can tell you this about mine now, I can see a very faint dimming in the upper right section of the screen when viewing certain content. My wife pointed it out one day and now that I know its there, I can see it...so my guess is that I have a bad LED strip, but as I said...unless you knew what to look for, you would not notice it (nobody that looks at it does until I point it out). It has been running fine for months now...I would say an average of 8 hours a day during the week and closer to 12 on the weekends. So what that tells me is that this $1,200 TV would be in the trash because of an overly sensitive circuit. I know, I know...it could overheat and burn up and burn my house down...I don't disagree that is a possibility, but if the circuit were more tolerant and didn't simply fail when a small issue like an LED strip going out, then I would still have my TV and the failure protection. To me, this is a failure on LG's part...and they likely know it.

As a side note, I have an LG (55" 4k HDR, don't have the model handy) that I bought before the other one failed for my TV and Xbox in my office area. It's where I watch most of my TV...and it is still under warranty because I bought the extended 2-year warranty from the seller. Guess what? 18 months after I bought it, 6 months after the manufacturer's warranty ran out...I turn it on and a white line from top to bottom about 10" in on the right side. I emailed the warranty place and yup, still under warranty, and they told me how to open the claim. 4 days after it first happened, the line disappeared and has not come back. So I am now sitting in limbo waiting for my 2-year warranty to expire and then this TV to crap out on me.

Needless to say, done with LG (even though I read that they make screens for a lot of other folks). I will be sticking with Samsung going forward...or, I have been thinking about going real cheap.

Good luck with yours....sorry for the long rant, but I thought an update was in order.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

My 60 inch lg standby light flickers 3 times then the screen goes off.
What my technician found was the SOURCE INPUT board was the problem.
Replaced the board and my tv is good as new again.
I read a lot of comments that were all pointing to the power board but that was not the culprit.

Reactions: elliott13579

Abolishedshark

Mar 9, 2020

I discovered exactly the same circumstances on my 65uh5500. Pulled the fail pin and unit stays running. Any update on how long you ran it like this? Issues discovered?

Attachments

• 15837898529318534529798561146339.jpg
    15837898529318534529798561146339.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 15837898896307301653727802717939.jpg
    15837898896307301653727802717939.jpg
    876.8 KB · Views: 85

ulrick65

Oct 17, 2019
I am still using it, though I can see darkening in the picture in some areas...the LEDs are certainly going out...but it's still very watchable.

Abolishedshark

Mar 9, 2020
I am still using it, though I can see darkening in the picture in some areas...the LEDs are certainly going out...but it's still very watchable.

Thanks for the response....I slapped it back together after taping the lead. Watched a couple min to see if there were any bad spots and noticed a little darkening in the lower left corner.

I'm going to leave it as is until I get some LED strips

ulrick65

Oct 17, 2019
Yea, mine started in upper right. If you get some strips and do the install, please post back on how it goes. It seems like a big job and I'm not sure I want to tackle it.

Sad that we pay so much for a TV and only get a couple years out of it!

Abolishedshark

Mar 9, 2020
Yea, mine started in upper right. If you get some strips and do the install, please post back on how it goes. It seems like a big job and I'm not sure I want to tackle it.

Sad that we pay so much for a TV and only get a couple years out of it!
Agreed.....I watched a couple videos of the repair. Pretty straightforward, but I can imagine it's time consuming. LEDs are pretty inexpensive, though I saw there were some guys that purchased "upgraded" strips from "Jimmyparts". Not sure how to get the higher end strips. Definitely don't want to mess with this again

Reactions: ulrick65

nolockdowntv

Apr 18, 2020
I have a LG 50LN series TV, yesterday I had the issue with the logo appearing then a black screen. The TV is nearly 7 years old so it is prob time for a new one, however with all the stores closed I cannot get a new one delivered before next Friday. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to life just for the next week? I looked for a fail wire as Abolishedshark mentioned but do not see one marked FAIL, I only see this on the board. Would removing any of these be the same as a FAIL? TIA

Annotation 2020-04-18 194617.png

WildingTomcat66

May 6, 2020
The guys who removed the fail wire what is that status of yalls tvs? i will be trying this here later today. Is this wire able to be replaced back into the connector? you noticed afterwords that the dark spots started to appear or was it over time that you saw dark spotting? i will update my post later after i try this.