Question LG TV red light blinks 3 times then turns off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Murid

Feb 7, 2019
I bought this TV about 2 years ago.This week, when I went to turn it on, the power light button would blink 3 times then shut off.

Model: LG 65UH5500-UA

What I have tried doing:
-Making sure everything was plugged in.
-Unplugged everything except the TV which was connected to the wall.
-Unplugged everything, held the power button for 30 seconds, then let TV rest for 6 hours before trying it again.

All of these gave me the same result: I would, once in a while, see the LG logo for a split second and then it would turn back off.

Thank you for reading and for helping!

Last edited by a moderator:

ulrick65

Oct 17, 2019
The guys who removed the fail wire what is that status of yalls tvs? i will be trying this here later today. Is this wire able to be replaced back into the connector? you noticed afterwords that the dark spots started to appear or was it over time that you saw dark spotting? i will update my post later after i try this.

Mine slowly got worse as more and more LED strips failed. I intend to replace the strips, but have got around to it yet. It basically just keeps getting dimmer and dimmer...we finally couldn't watch it, so replaced with our older one from storage until I get a chance to replace LED strips.

ulrick65

Oct 17, 2019
Keep in mind, there could be lots of other reasons for the fail...so removing that wire could certainly do other damage. Not saying it will or won't...just proceed at your own risk. In addition, I was concerned about overheating, etc...so I unplugged it when we were not watching it for the first week or two just in case. I ran it for hours on end and had no issues, so eventually I was comfortable leaving it plugged in.

Yes, if your careful and removed the pin correctly without damaging it, it can go back in. Mine does.

nolockdowntv

Apr 18, 2020
In my case I never found the fail wire, it just got rid* of the TV, it was 7 years old and unecomical to repair.
* I actually gave it away, someone with more time and knowledge can repair it and do what they want.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
A bit late coming to this thread, but still... :)

I know, I know...it could overheat and burn up and burn my house down...I don't disagree that is a possibility, but if the circuit were more tolerant and didn't simply fail when a small issue like an LED strip going out, then I would still have my TV and the failure protection. To me, this is a failure on LG's part...and they likely know it.
Assuming your speculation is correct that LG deliberately decreased the tolerance on the shutdown circuit in that firmware update you received (as opposed to a component degradation which merely coincided with it), one has to consider it's possible they had a bunch of fires in this model, and the fix was to make the circuit more sensitive... :p

Needless to say, done with LG (even though I read that they make screens for a lot of other folks). I will be sticking with Samsung going forward...or, I have been thinking about going real cheap.
Samsung, eh? Hah! Let me tell you a story about Samsung, sonny... :)

First off, Samsung still doesn't support Dolby Vision in any of its sets, not even this year's top range ones, which is a bit crap since it apparently does a pretty big difference in HDR fidelity. It's like deliberately crippling those nice beautiful LCD screens they put in those TVs.

Second, I have an upper-midrange Samsung from 2012, so it's getting a little bit long in the tooth now from today's point of view (at one time I had a Sony Trinitron from the mid-80s for roughly 20 years... lol) It has 3D - not that I ever really used it, wearing Samsung's super flimsy 3D glasses on top of my regular glasses was truly fiddly and uncomfortable - and it's got teh "smart" too - which I certainly never used, seeing the wall of text EULA it first presented when starting it up the first time made me suspicious from the very beginning, and then it became known how Samsung used it to spy on people at least in the past and probably still do... So big nope there!

Stupidly though, I had already configured the TV to connect to my wifi network - because I'm a geek, and I never owned a TV with friggin wifi in it before so I simply got super enthusiastic - so randomly it will suddenly announce it has updated its "smart" hub with a popup right in the middle of the screen, asking me if I want to run it now ("yes" option highlighted of course. *ggnnnnhhh*) I could be gaming (well, not these days, don't play consoles no more) or watching a movie or TV show and this thing spams a popup... It has been pissing me off for almost eight fricken years now.

Then there's the thing where it doesn't always turn itself on when I turn on my Apple TV (4k model.) Don't know who to blame for that, Apple or Samsung, HDMI CEC is enabled, but something still isn't working right there. I suspect Samsung though, because just a few weeks ago I too got a firmware "upgrade" (first time in...well ever actually I think), and after that the problem got a lot worse. Plus now the TV doesn't behave properly even when turned on with the power button. Sometimes you turn it on, and the screen is still black, so it's as if it's still off even though it's on... Feh! Sometimes you turn it on, and it turns on but doesn't respond to any remote control buttons other than power off. You tell it to switch to HDMI input such and such - it simply won't. All you can do is turn it off and back on again.

And when I tired after some time of that nonsense and went into the menus to do a manual firmware update check (to see if maybe they put out a new one to un-bork whatever they borked in this one I have now), all I got was a screen with the text "connecting to server", and then a forever spinning swirly thing and nothing more.

So... Forced obsolescence? I don't know, I can't prove it or anything but it sure fricken smells that way I can tell you. Never again Samsung! Gonna buy a Sony next time, see if they put out a model with some nice Playstation 5 integration/optimizations... :)

Beloved0314

May 31, 2020
Thanks for the response....I slapped it back together after taping the lead. Watched a couple min to see if there were any bad spots and noticed a little darkening in the lower left corner.

I'm going to leave it as is until I get some LED strips
I have the same LG 65uh5500-ua with the same problem. Is your tv still working after you pulled the fail wire?

The Dave

Aug 18, 2020
I wanted to provide my own experience for the rest of you who may be having this issue. Same thing: red light blinks three times, LG logo, then nothing. I wish i had read this thread first. I ended up replacing the power supply board on the advice of a technician and confirmed success from other members of the forum. Oh well. Not the power supply board. Long story leas long, I removed the “fail” wire and what do you know? TV comes on! Thanks, good karma and many blessings to the person who posted that fix! As to how long it lasts or if it bursts into flames, we shall see. For now it fumctions as well as it ever did. I dont see any evidence of LEDs failing. When I first got the tv there was a tiny white line along the bottom but it was as if the bezel just didnt come up far enough and it never got worse. I did want to add for you all that the culprit is not the update as i never allowed this tv to access wifi. It is something else going on. But thanks again to the person who posted this solution. Take care and God bless.

ulrick65

Oct 17, 2019
I wanted to provide my own experience for the rest of you who may be having this issue. Same thing: red light blinks three times, LG logo, then nothing. I wish i had read this thread first. I ended up replacing the power supply board on the advice of a technician and confirmed success from other members of the forum. Oh well. Not the power supply board. Long story leas long, I removed the “fail” wire and what do you know? TV comes on! Thanks, good karma and many blessings to the person who posted that fix! As to how long it lasts or if it bursts into flames, we shall see. For now it fumctions as well as it ever did. I dont see any evidence of LEDs failing. When I first got the tv there was a tiny white line along the bottom but it was as if the bezel just didnt come up far enough and it never got worse. I did want to add for you all that the culprit is not the update as i never allowed this tv to access wifi. It is something else going on. But thanks again to the person who posted this solution. Take care and God bless.

Yes, I had the same experience. I am the one that tried the fail wire removal and it worked. However, my guess is you are in the same boat as I am...your LED's are failing. I couldn't see it at first either...but my wife said on some shows she could notice it was a little darker in the corner. Then as time went on I did see it, then it got worse and worse...until finally, it was so dark you couldn't really watch it. I think we got about 6 months out of it. Still have not replaced the LED's but I am going to do that, just haven't had time yet.

Good luck...as a minimum, its 6 more months you would not have had otherwise right? ;)

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I did want to add for you all that the culprit is not the update as i never allowed this tv to access wifi. It is something else going on.
Just so you know, many of the TV's don't need you to ever setup wifi. They will search out on their own to find a non-encrypted wifi (since these are prolific in most places for guest connections or just people saying screw it because they don't want to have to go setting all their devices with passwords/hashes) and use that to connect back home and update (especially for the ones that are collecting/using ad data). Just wanted you to know that.

occupa

Aug 21, 2020
Similar problem 49UH6090 and I found a service manual on the 49UH. Looks like one manual covers many sizes
Power Supply looked operational
Main board appeared to have some life
Observed Q2504 catastrophic failure, see picture
Replaced Q2504 same result pop fire and smoke.
Third one I believe I damaged during install.
LG no support take to service..they fix you pay.
Q2504 provides power to display and Q2503 controls the level supplied, see attached.
I did not find any short from Drain to Ground
and the fuse on the Display board did not blow.

I am considering taking Q2504 out and connecting the Source to the Drain to see what happens?

Any thoughts?

One more comment, the data sheet on Q2504 describes reliability issues that could occur if used in the manner that the TV could be operated.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Panel Power Schematic.JPG
    Panel Power Schematic.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 27

occupa

Aug 21, 2020
VirtualLarry
Yep, the MOSFET, in this case is a sophisticated fuse.
I do not have resources beyond Multi-Meter, nor box of parts to swap out.
I do not measure a "Short" from drain to ground, so probably marginally failing component down stream.

slackerinabox
Doubtful stellar inside knowledge, just information from public domain that is accessible to the all that seek."

I think your point is.... LG designs faulty power to drive junior members to this forum.

During registration you could "Are you going to use this forum to discuss LG TV power faults?

Answer Yes --- Registration declined

That said, the information that has been provided by this forum thus far has not been stellar knowledge.

Could you recommed a more technical forum that could provide the necessary stellar knowledge?

occupa

Aug 21, 2020
Cooler heads prevailed.

I replaced the MOSFET with a resistor.

Open Circuit 13.3 Volts

Only T-Con plugged in 0.247 volts or about 5 Amp load:oops:

No fuses or circuit breakers were harmed in this exercise.:)

Replacement T-Con ordered.

RamaSagarReddy

Oct 30, 2020
I thought I would post my results on this similar problem with my LG 65uh5500-ua TV. I had the same problem as a LOT of other people. Seems like it updated firmware (damn automatic updates sometimes!) and then when I turn it on, it flashes the logo on the screen and goes blank. Then the power light flashes twice. This happened back in April, and I had it sitting in basement since then but finally decided to see if I could get it going.

I bought a new power board, but it did same thing. I put old one back in and then figured out that what is happening is that when the TV comes out of standby, a signal is sent BACK to the power supply on the wire labeled "Fail" and the TV shuts down and flashes the power light. I disconnected that wire (just pulled it out of the connector, carefully by releasing the holding tab on the pin and pulling out the wire). I then plugged the connector back into the power board (with the fail wire disconnected) and the TV powers up normally. I have tested it for about an hour and don't see any issues...so I intend to run it like this and see what happens.

I am not crazy about it...as I am concerned about what the failure is that it wants to power off for (likely something with the LED strips as many have said, but I am not going down the road of that big repair)...but so far have not seen any issues, no excessive heating, no blank areas on the screen or anything, so we will see what happens. Perhaps I will unplug it when we are not watching it for a while just to be sure it doesn't do something crazy (like burn up or whatever).

Not a sure fire recommended "fix" for anything, but does allow the TV work...so I thought I would post it. Your mileage may vary...so proceed at your own risk I guess.

Last edited: