Lexus once again tops JD Power reliability study

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Bignate603
Originally posted by: BassBomb

He posted an article, then everyone jumped on him for owning a Toyota.

Originally posted by: marincounty

Apparently, Ford does not equal Toyota in quality. Ford is barely better than average at 204 problems versus an average of 206 problems.

This was the last line in his first post. He was trying to prove a point right off the bat that Lexus and Toyota were better cars. Even after other people have brought up valid points why this article is of little relevancy now he keeps on going off about his fanboyish obsession with a car company he has a vague connection to because of his 20 year old car.

I admit that Toyota builds a good car, but other companies do also. This article isn't specific enough to be that useful.

The JD power study is for 3 year old cars. The consumer reports chart was problems versus age, and after four years, Toyota and Honda were clearly better.
And consumer reports is the largest sample I know of.

If you know of another reputable study that shows different results, please post a link.
Otherwise, STFU.

I guess it's just a coincidence that Lexus tops the JD Power reliability rankings for 14 years in a row.

I don't have a fanboyish obsession with Toyotas, my family has owned other brands also, they just weren't as reliable in our experience. We have owned Datsuns, Nissans, Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler and Honda.

If I had huge dollars, and didn't care about repair or insurance costs, I would drive a Lexus or BMW or Porsche.

You're right about one thing, other companies build good cars...just not as good as Toyota.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Bignate603

He posted an article, then everyone jumped on him for owning a Toyota.

Apparently, Ford does not equal Toyota in quality. Ford is barely better than average at 204 problems versus an average of 206 problems.

This was the last line in his first post. He was trying to prove a point right off the bat that Lexus and Toyota were better cars. Even after other people have brought up valid points why this article is of little relevancy now he keeps on going off about his fanboyish obsession with a car company he has a vague connection to because of his 20 year old car.

I admit that Toyota builds a good car, but other companies do also. This article isn't specific enough to be that useful.

The JD power study is for 3 year old cars. The consumer reports chart was problems versus age, and after four years, Toyota and Honda were clearly better.
And consumer reports is the largest sample I know of.

If you know of another reputable study that shows different results, please post a link.
Otherwise, STFU.

I guess it's just a coincidence that Lexus tops the JD Power reliability rankings for 14 years in a row.

I don't have a fanboyish obsession with Toyotas, my family has owned other brands also, they just weren't as reliable in our experience. We have owned Datsuns, Nissans, Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler and Honda.

If I had huge dollars, and didn't care about repair or insurance costs, I would drive a Lexus or BMW or Porsche.

You're right about one thing, other companies build good cars...just not as good as Toyota.

Go look at Edmunds or Consumer Reports that treats cars on a case by case basis as they should be, rather then just lumped together. Many car magazines do longer term tests on vehicles that will give a better idea of a vehicle than this survey. The only thing I find useful from the JD Power ratings is the rankings inside the class of cars, and that would only be meaningful if I just happened to be looking for a 3 year old car.

lurk3r

Oct 26, 2007
Originally posted by: herm0016
I love seeing people butt hurt about their favorite companies

Originally posted by: herm0016
i would like to see what the varience and standard dev. of their samples are, i am going to guess that even 20 off of the mean is too close to the mean to be significant.

Wouldn't that be for probabilities?

not really... ever take a stats class?
I want to know how they take there samples, and how far off they could be from the true mean, what they are presenting are sample means.

Stats in 3 weeks :) Probability ended 3 months ago

There are 3 types of lies ...

Lies, damn lies and statistics!!

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: senseamp
Seems to me like the OP is trying to make himself feel better about driving a 22 year old POS car by pretending it's somehow superior to better domestic cars just because its a Toyota.

No, I mentioned what I drove because someone asked me a question. I know my car is a pos, but it's mine, and it's paid for. Just FYI, in the last five years, I've replaced the alternator and front brake pads and a window regulator, and done a few tuneups and oil changes, less than $500 total. The only reason I would feel superior to some other driver, is because I spent less money than them. If my car starts having major problems, I will get rid of it quickly.

The reason I posted this because I wanted to point out that Lexus/ Toyota still make the highest quality cars. And if you read consumers reports, they show that after four years Toyota is the most reliable, with Honda second.

Sorry if it chaps your ass that Toyota is more reliable than what you drive, get over it.

Who cares how much you spent maintaining it, it's still a POS. No reason to feel superior.
New Toyotas/Lexus are boring and/or ugly cars.