Lets talk about wireless gaming mice.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Lets talk about wireless gaming mice. I personally use a semi-low sensitivity in games requiring about 2 feet or 60cm to do a 360 degree turn. Because of this I need about 3 feet of "free movable mouse cord". Which every once in a while works fine, but just as often starts getting snagged or I place my mouse on top of it when lifting off.

I know wireless mice in the past have been a taboo subject for gamers because of input delay; and I know the vast majority are not up to the task. I would hope the top tier of wireless mice have figured this stuff out. I looked around and there isn't too much that looks promising and fits my fingertip style grip. The Ouroboros seems okay, but it looks like it was designed by a kindergartner who is a prodigy at CAD. Being a Razer product and adjustable, I can't imagine this thing standing up to abuse more than a year before falling apart.

Are there any other options out there that perform just like wired while having a very high malfunction speed and no added latency? I don't need any "gaming" feature nonsense, just a mouse that performs very well.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I don't know of any. In the past I always wished for a wireless because cord drag is a very real problem where my movements are impacted by the wire. Never really had a snagging issue but I have found my light grip is prone to being adjusted by the cords pull sometimes.

But all wireless mice are heavy and this has a profound effect on how they feel to use. There are wireless mice with somewhat flawed but nearly great sensor setups but they are more than twice as heavy as the best wired mice. I personally don't think its worth it when a light and perfect mouse can be found in wired format.

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
I agree that the main problem with wireless isn't the response time but the weight. I am using a G100s with the internal weight removed and previously was using a G400 which I thought was a bit heavy. Here are their weights:

G100s (internal weight removed) - 70 grams
G400s - 109 grams
G700s (with battery, without cable) - 152 grams

That is a huge difference.

EDIT - more mouse weights:

Logitech MX518 - 106 grams
MSFT Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 - 108 grams
Razer Abyssus - 72 grams
Razer Deathadder - 105 grams
Steelseries Kinzu - 77 grams
Steelseries Sensei - 102 grams
Zowie FK - 85 grams

Wireless:
Razer Orochi - 141 grams
Razer Mamba - 136 grams

Last edited:

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
G700s. You can't tell the difference between wireless mode and wired mode.

wpeng

Aug 10, 2000
If you buy a custom braided cord for the g700s and toss the battery, you could cut an extra 20-30g if it means that much to you, and then you could still use wireless mode when you want to.

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
If you buy a custom braided cord for the g700s and toss the battery, you could cut an extra 20-30g if it means that much to you, and then you could still use wireless mode when you want to.

Then whats the point?

I doubt anyone buys a wireless mouse with the intention of removing the battery. I doubt anyone removes and replaces the battery when they want to switch between wireless and wired modes. There are better mice if you consider wired.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I had the same worries you do when I bought a wireless mouse but I must say I LOVE my Mamba 2012. Feels just as responsive in wired or wireless mode. Great shape for my larger hands and the weight doesn't bother me at all. I also really appreciate the on-the-fly DPI buttons.

I used a Razer Diamondback for 4-5yrs before switching to the Mamba if that helps.

Oct 27, 2012
I don't know of any. In the past I always wished for a wireless because cord drag is a very real problem where my movements are impacted by the wire. Never really had a snagging issue but I have found my light grip is prone to being adjusted by the cords pull sometimes.

But all wireless mice are heavy and this has a profound effect on how they feel to use. There are wireless mice with somewhat flawed but nearly great sensor setups but they are more than twice as heavy as the best wired mice. I personally don't think its worth it when a light and perfect mouse can be found in wired format.

You can try this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826993084

TY-1

Mar 27, 2013
Well Logitech is getting ready to release their new G620 Wireless Gaming Mouse. They were showing it off at PAX and it was really wowing people from what the PAX coverage on different tech sites had reported. Battery life is reported to be 250 hours on just 2 AA batteries with the added bonuses of being able to change the power profile to get even more battery life as well as run on a single AA in a lower power gaming setting. The ergonomics of it have been reported to be incredibly good with excellent button placement due to Logitech bringing in quite a number of gamers to do testing in a variety of games. Depending on when it is released and what final reviews are this might be the new standard for wireless gaming mice, but then Logitech has always been a leader when it comes to peripherals.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I wouldn't say Logitech has been making good mice. They have a lot of market share but its not like they have put out a lot of decent mice, only one or two of them have flawless sensors. Most of them have angle snapping, accelaration built in, z axis issues etc. The grand majority of their mice on the measure that matters (sensor accuracy) are terrible.

A few features give away that the G620 will mean it will be terrible:
1) USB report rate: Up to 500 reports/second - Its 2013, everyone is doing 1000Hz now, what the hell is a brand new mouse doing using 500hz reporting.
2) Windows® 8, Windows 7 or Windows Vista® - some/all of the features depend on Logitech drivers, which will put more software between your mouse and your movement, ie more latency.
3) Lots of buttons and onboard memory means it will very heavy.
4) The AA batteries mean it will be even heavier.
5) The sensor doesn't appear to be in the centre of the mouse, it looks slight off to the side. That could end up affecting the mouses accuracy.
6) They don't say what chipset it is based on, presumably its something new due to all the buttons and such. If so it will likely have all the problem inherent with that chipset and hence be a flawed sensor.
7) The great battery life probably means it only sends updates when you move, which may mean there is time to ramp up and down and that could cause inconsistent recording of movements. It might work perfectly but no aggressive power saving solution is flawless yet, they all impact performance.

So I don't think its likely to be great from its raw specs, it looks like its going to be terrible. Logitech have one mouse out today that doesn't have a flawed sensor, that is far from dominating the market. Gamer mice are a scam, most of them are dreadful for actually gaming.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
That Logitech mouse looks reasonable, we will have to see in practice although to be honest the shape doesn't look the most comfortable for the way I will hold it.

I find most of BrightCandles points moot. Some of the best mice I've used in the past had a "flawed sensor" that performed astoundingly better than the "flawless" sensors of today. Malfunction speed matters a whole lot more to me than pixel perfect accuracy or having an off center sensor. The 2-3 m/s obtained by these flawless sensors just doesn't quite cut it.

This is one area where Razer is really edging out, I have a decent amount of faith in them after the original Deathadder exceeded my expectations and then promptly fell apart.

I'm also not too concerned about the weight, and it might actually help me out a little bit having a heavier mouse since I'm naturally a very shaky person.

*edit* Fuck it, I just went ahead and ordered it. If it sucks I can always just get something else. I'll keep you guys posted for the 1 person that cares about my opinion.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Most game winners aren't sitting 2 feet away from their screens.

That said pretty much any 'gaming mouse' should suit your needs fine.

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
I don't see a problem with wired, if they are at a desk, just make sure the cable doesn't get caught up, it isn't that difficult is it?

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I looked around and there isn't too much that looks promising and fits my fingertip style grip. The Ouroboros seems okay, but it looks like it was designed by a kindergartner who is a prodigy at CAD. Being a Razer product and adjustable, I can't imagine this thing standing up to abuse more than a year before falling apart.

The Ouroboros actually feels pretty solidly built. I've had mine since Nov/Dec timeframe, showing no signs of issues. You may want to check out a R.A.T. 9 as well since you're a fingertipper. I liked my R.A.T. 7 a little better than this Ouroboros in fact, but it was a very early model and the sensor would occasionally flake out so I decided to give the Ouroboros a try. (this may be resolved now I'm guessing as the sensor has been updated).

wpeng

Aug 10, 2000
So I don't think its likely to be great from its raw specs, it looks like its going to be terrible. Logitech have one mouse out today that doesn't have a flawed sensor, that is far from dominating the market. Gamer mice are a scam, most of them are dreadful for actually gaming.

So what are you recommending then? G400?

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Wireless mice should tested on Mythbusters.

Detriments I always hear, but think are nonsense :

- too heavy. Going from 70g to 120g is a ridiculous nitpick. The overall weight is so slight, the 'too heavy' argument is for the sake of arguing. Assuming you aren't the size of a ten year old child of course.

- Skips, cutouts, lag. Just not an issue with modern good brand name mice. Both my G700 and Mamba have never had connection issues, in shooters to flight sims.

- Battery life. If the mouse A.) is easy to open and change the battery, and B.) comes with multiple battery packs or uses regular batteries, then battery life isn't an issue. I run rechargeable batteries for my G700, and switch them before a gaming session, and start recharging the others. For the rare times it has died, I can switch the batteries in under 20 seconds.

I love the feel of my Mamba; how the L and R buttons are flared from the mouse. It is really comfortable. But, the software stinks, and I've had mechanical issues with it (and my Razer Blackwidow keyboard). Can't recommend this brand.

The G700 is nice, and I love the raised DPI buttons. It's like having three L mouse buttons, which feels natural once you get used to it. However, I don't like how the front of the mouse gets smaller (instead of spreading a bit like the Mamba).

defy

Mar 24, 2008
Haven't had any good experience with wireless mice yet. I grabbed the Razer Mamba was first released, and was disappointed in the proprietary battery and the fact that I had to leave it plugged in for longer sessions on the computer. In the end, I went back to my Deathadder Black.

Oct 9, 1999
i hated how my g700 felt. maybe i'm used to my deathadder but i would not recommend the g700 if you have a lighter, corded mouse.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Ben90's Incredibly Bias Ouroboros Review

Unboxing
I opened up the box and the mouse was inside.
10/10 points

Installation
Wow Razer's software is bad. I can see why Synapse 2.0 gets so many negative points. To be honest, needing to make an account wasn't that big of a deal to me, but the actual software is buggy as shit. All I needed it to do was turn the stupid lights off and set the DPI; but, somehow that took many more tries than necessary. Fortunately, once everything is set you don't need to run Synapse again, although it took me a while to figure this out because the mouse spasms for a solid 30 seconds after you close it.

Every once in a while it will have a problem connecting as well. There is supposed to be a button that connects the reciever/mouse, but that worked only once. Generally unplugging it and plugging it back in fixes it. Not the end of the world because it doesn't happen that often, but it shouldn't be an issue in the first place. The shitty $5 wireless mice at my work have literally never had a single problem connecting, if there are batteries in them, they just work.
0/10 points for installation because it's a recurring problem
10/10 points for software because you only need to deal with its shit once.

Build Quality
One of the features advertised to the prepubescent gamers is the adjustable back thingy. Honestly, I had no faith in this being built to last looking at the pictures. It's actually not that bad right now although, I remember thinking the same thing about the G9x's two piece construction which started falling apart after a year. Fortunately it's just the backrest so it won't be too bad if it wobbles around a bit. For now it is stronger than I thought it was going to be. Props to Razer for having the balls to not make the entire thing tooless and they include the required screwdriver. Just don't strip the non-replaceable screws.

The magnetic side grip things share the same story, for now they are actually pretty solid but we will see how they hold up in a years time.

I won't judge for points about how it feels to hold because it's subjective, but they should have given the option to use the mouse without the back part thing. It actually is usable without it, but if you put pressure on the back, the front lifts up which is moderately annoying.

8/10 points for build quality
0/10 points for falling apart right after I finish this because it's a Razer product.
0/10 points for looking fucking stupid

Performance
Thank god. Not having to worry about malfunction speed is so nice again, you ultra low sensitivity gamers know what I mean. 5.36m/s is just boss. Malfunction speed doesn't seem to be impacted by DPI. Enotus didn't pick up any acceleration and I don't see any jitter at 8200DPI (see attached images). Definitely the best performing mouse I've ever used by a long shot. Just perfect.

The wireless works almost flawlessly once you get past the connecting woes. There is an occasional stutter every 5 hours or so, but it's rare enough that it doesn't really matter.
9/10 only from the occasional skip.

Enotusouroboros.png

linesandcircles.png

Also I am going to have to give some props to Newegg for their ridiculously fast shipping. I got this mouse in just over 19 hours despite choosing the cheapest shipping possible. I remember my Haswell parts coming in really fast from them as well, so hopefully they can keep up the pace.
Neweggshipping.png

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
Thanks for the review. It is amazing that Newegg could do some shipping magic and send it out for delivery in Phoenix minutes before it arrived at its sort facility in Tucson!?!