Discussion Lets talk about Valheim

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

francisbaud

Oct 8, 2016
Depends on your definition but yes the environment can look beautiful even though it isn’t exactly high fidelity. [...]
Yea it's low-poly textures and models but it looks good thanks to the art style and lighting.

Overall a very good game according to Steam reviews (96% positive). +4 millions copies sold.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I play with my friends so it adds to the fun. I don't enjoy spending hours crafting and building but they do. So they tend to do more of the base upkeep and when we're all on we explore and do crypts and such.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I've been playing this for a couple of weeks with 2 friends. We just cleared the 3rd boss a couple of nights ago and so far nothing but praise for it. I would encourage anyone who likes open world exploration, base building, minecraft type games to buy it. It's a LOT of game for $20.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Hey, I have something relevant to share here. Made this a few weeks back when I was playing, this was with core wood only (hadn't found stone yet). It started as a wizard/portal tower, quickly turned into just a giant skyscraper.
1618502503009.png
1618502549313.png
Topside:
1618502619176.png

I since rebuilt the top with stone, so it's a bit bigger, taller, and more robust (looks like a house just plopped on top of a skyscraper). Pretty fun project.

Reactions: Elfear and KMFJD
Feb 4, 2009
Hey, I have something relevant to share here. Made this a few weeks back when I was playing, this was with core wood only (hadn't found stone yet). It started as a wizard/portal tower, quickly turned into just a giant skyscraper.
View attachment 43155
View attachment 43156
Topside:
View attachment 43157

I since rebuilt the top with stone, so it's a bit bigger, taller, and more robust (looks like a house just plopped on top of a skyscraper). Pretty fun project.

Solid work.
I just perfected the chimney.

Feb 4, 2009
I am taking my time wandering thru this game and I accidentally deleted my first world so I am well in.
I am going to fight the second boss but he is far from my base. I brought enough stuff with me to build a portal and a small staging base close by.
Unfortunately the summon alter is right next to the plains and that chunk of land of filled with bad beasties.
I have not found meadows yet from my boat only swamp, dark Forrest and plains.
I may need a volunteer to help me clear some land.
Any takers?

Found a meadows biom a short karve ride away. Pretty spot, I like it.
Set up basic room & bed, slept woke up all excited to place my portal and.......
It appears my main base has been destroyed.
Back to the boat, I should be “home in three or four days”
I’d prefer not to suicide and take the experience hit.

Irritating but sort of fun

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I am taking my time wandering thru this game and I accidentally deleted my first world so I am well in.
I am going to fight the second boss but he is far from my base. I brought enough stuff with me to build a portal and a small staging base close by.
Unfortunately the summon alter is right next to the plains and that chunk of land of filled with bad beasties.
I have not found meadows yet from my boat only swamp, dark Forrest and plains.
I may need a volunteer to help me clear some land.
Any takers?

Found a meadows biom a short karve ride away. Pretty spot, I like it.
Set up basic room & bed, slept woke up all excited to place my portal and.......
It appears my main base has been destroyed.
Back to the boat, I should be “home in three or four days”
I’d prefer not to suicide and take the experience hit.

Irritating but sort of fun
Did you have the stockade wall around your base? That helps keep stuff out. There will also be multiple places bosses can spawn but at the second boss, it might not be feasiable to sail aorund the world looking for another location.

Feb 4, 2009
Did you have the stockade wall around your base? That helps keep stuff out. There will also be multiple places bosses can spawn but at the second boss, it might not be feasiable to sail aorund the world looking for another location.

Yeah false alarm, all was fine except my outside work bench and wall around my crops broken in spots.
I didn’t realize gates were caps sensitive and I inverted my upper/low case (I had caps lock on)
Still need to set something up closer to the Elder but I have been exploring the swamps near him.

Feb 4, 2009
If you can manage the mobs in the swamps then you should do the elder now.

Yeah I thought that this morning. I’m being extra cautious but the level 3 bronze armor seems to protect very well.
My Elder battle has potential to be really funny. He is in a small wedge of the dark forest and close by one side is the swamp, even closer on the other side is the plains with two of the buffalo thingys and a deathsquito. I may lure him to the plains but I suspect I’ll need a leveled up bronze shield at minimum. Hoping the three of them battle it out while I watch from my ship.
I’ll record it if I can, last windows update messed something up in the Game Center and I haven’t been able to record stuff. Not sure if this applies to Valheim.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I'd like to see that. If it was the normal pack of 3 Lox then they'd probably wreck him.

Feb 4, 2009
I'd like to see that. If it was the normal pack of 3 Lox then they'd probably wreck him.

This picture sums it up. Left side columns are where the Eldar is summoned, a short run away is a Lox, Deathsquito and a small band of Furlings at night. Not sure if you can see them in the video my cat was messing with me.

1620529389041.png

Video which I hope is just converting to HD and not a setting I messed up on.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
It looked really fun and it's been on my wishlist since I saw it, but I'm so sick of seeing 10 different survival games that never leave alpha. I bought 7DtD SIX YEARS AGO and it's still in alpha/early access. Many other survival games of the same time are still in early access as well and I believe that's because when the game is first released to the public, the devs will start listening to what players want and that's just a never-ending list.

I don't foresee myself playing this anytime soon but it does look fun. I'll keep an eye on it for a while and maybe grab it sometime in the next ten years when it comes closer to a stable beta build.

If you're the kind of person who can appreciate 7DtD, then Valheim will be something you'll enjoy. The upshot here is that Valheim has been (so far) a far less buggy experience for me. It feels a lot more polished, though I think 7DtD tries to do more things than Valheim ever set out to do.

And maybe that alone makes Valheim better?

lol.... i have to admit its just about as bad as star citizen except you wont see them listing a gold plated axe selling for 1000 real dollars, or a in game ferrari for 2000.

But i do keep going back to 7dtd.

Yeah I wouldn't lump TFP in with CIG. You can actually play the full game in 7DtD, unlike Star Citizen. And yeah, the lack of jpeg sales puts 7DtD ethically above SC.

Feb 4, 2009
If you're the kind of person who can appreciate 7DtD, then Valheim will be something you'll enjoy. The upshot here is that Valheim has been (so far) a far less buggy experience for me. It feels a lot more polished, though I think 7DtD tries to do more things than Valheim ever set out to do.

And maybe that alone makes Valheim better?

Yeah I wouldn't lump TFP in with CIG. You can actually play the full game in 7DtD, unlike Star Citizen. And yeah, the lack of jpeg sales puts 7DtD ethically above SC.

7d2d is a perfectly acceptable finished game for $20 in its current state.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
7d2d is a perfectly acceptable finished game for $20 in its current state.

I fully agree. I've played many large budget $60 AAA games that were in much worse state than 7D2D. On top of that the Fun Pimps are still actively working on the game. 7D2D is still growing. They are still adding content and managing to fix bugs and work on optimizations.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Here it is but spoiler I couldn't bait the Elder out. I did forget it was night time and.....

Example of it is fun to fail. Totally unexpected.
Great Video. You would have totally had The Elder if you had not run into the Fulings (I understand you were trying to draw them into the fight).

You need to work on your archery skill some, and maybe make some flinthead arrows to swap between. Fire Arrows due less damage overall than Flinthead, because the Fire DOT does not stack. It resets the timer each time is all. So it is best to hit something with a fire arrow, then switch to other arrows only switching back to put the DOT back on him. But awesome job on getting in there and meleeing with him! Some great blocking!

Feb 4, 2009
Great Video. You would have totally had The Elder if you had not run into the Fulings (I understand you were trying to draw them into the fight).

You need to work on your archery skill some, and maybe make some flinthead arrows to swap between. Fire Arrows due less damage overall than Flinthead, because the Fire DOT does not stack. It resets the timer each time is all. So it is best to hit something with a fire arrow, then switch to other arrows only switching back to put the DOT back on him. But awesome job on getting in there and meleeing with him! Some great blocking!

good tip, I have a crap ton of bronze maybe alternate fire/bronze tip arrows.
I so wanted to get the Elder to the plains and watch the chaos but seems that is unlikely.
I don’t really like shooting arrows in games for whatever reason but yeah my archery skill in game isn’t that great and my personal archery skill is poor.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
good tip, I have a crap ton of bronze maybe alternate fire/bronze tip arrows.
I so wanted to get the Elder to the plains and watch the chaos but seems that is unlikely.
I don’t really like shooting arrows in games for whatever reason but yeah my archery skill in game isn’t that great and my personal archery skill is poor.

You can put arrows in your hotbar to swap between them. That is what I do, I keep Flint (I just got obsidian so they have replaced Flint. Metals are too much work to get to make into arrows) and Fire|Poison arrows in my hot bar, and have a macro on my mouse assigned to swap back and forth between them.

Feb 4, 2009
I fully agree. I've played many large budget $60 AAA games that were in much worse state than 7D2D. On top of that the Fun Pimps are still actively working on the game. 7D2D is still growing. They are still adding content and managing to fix bugs and work on optimizations.

per their forums seems most of the pimps are working on an unannounced new game but yes work continues on 7d2d it is just going slower now and I am okay with that.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
Since the last post in this thread, Valheim has seen two major content patches.

-Hearth and Home

Lots of little changes here, but they added new building blocks, craftables, and overhauled the food buff system.

-Mistlands

Added a whole new biome with new baddies, new boss, and plenty of new things to craft.

Compared to a lot of other early access games out there, Iron Gate seems to be pumping out content fairly quickly. No further purchases required. I'm currently kneedeep in yet another fresh play through. I don't mind starting over in Valheim -- which I guess is a testament on how much I love this game.

Anybody else playing mistlands?

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
My friends and I started a fresh world when the Mistlands update came out. G Portal had a Black Friday deal where a Valheim server was only $19 for 3 months, so I opted for that. We've gotten everything we needed from the Plains so far but we still haven't found a rune stone showing Yagluth's location. So were stuck wandering around to different islands looking for one as of right now.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I have tried playing this a few times, just cannot get into it. Not sure why, I enjoy other survival games, like minecraft or grounded. Maybe just not enough variety in the beginning?

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I have tried playing this a few times, just cannot get into it. Not sure why, I enjoy other survival games, like minecraft or grounded. Maybe just not enough variety in the beginning?

I find the game to be quite a bit more fun if you play with friends. I doubt I'd be playing it otherwise.

Last edited: