Discussion Lets talk about Valheim

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So its currently one of the hottest steam games. (2 million copies sold since Feb. 2 Release date)
There is a lot of meme's like this floating around for the game:

1613756294041.png

I have logged a little over 47 hours into it.
It is extremely fun when playing with friends. It is a "leeroy jinkens" game in a sense.
The map size is INSANE.... (a typical seed)
1613756433153.png

And yes there be sea serpents, so crossing the ocean to then next island is a quest itself.

My initial feelings for the game is that its good.
Its a non zombie survival, which i am sort of tired of.
Crafting is not forgiving tho, neither is some of the mechanics.

Its very rough in the edges as its alpha.
And it has a dedicated server option which is a major plus, because we are not forced to rent servers like STN (Survive The Night).
Any game which allows a dedicated server is always a big bonus for me.

Overall i see a lot of potential in this game.

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I've been playing it a little bit but was sucked into Dyson Sphere for a while, i wasn't aware that the map was that large though.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I've been playing it a little bit but was sucked into Dyson Sphere for a while, i wasn't aware that the map was that large though.

its gigantic... in the 47 hours i haven't even discovered 5% of it.... jumping from island to island and setting up teleporters are a task itself.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
It looked really fun and it's been on my wishlist since I saw it, but I'm so sick of seeing 10 different survival games that never leave alpha. I bought 7DtD SIX YEARS AGO and it's still in alpha/early access. Many other survival games of the same time are still in early access as well and I believe that's because when the game is first released to the public, the devs will start listening to what players want and that's just a never-ending list.

I don't foresee myself playing this anytime soon but it does look fun. I'll keep an eye on it for a while and maybe grab it sometime in the next ten years when it comes closer to a stable beta build.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I bought 7DtD SIX YEARS AGO and it's still in alpha/early access.

lol.... i have to admit its just about as bad as star citizen except you wont see them listing a gold plated axe selling for 1000 real dollars, or a in game ferrari for 2000.

But i do keep going back to 7dtd.
I love the build mechanics in the game for base building.
Valheim tho, is the only game i can think of where you can die from carbon monoxide fixation, by not having a proper vent hole for your camp fire.
Great way to kill your team mates... make a smoke box and have them all go in and block the door.

• Haha
Reactions: Fanatical Meat
Feb 4, 2009
lol.... i have to admit its just about as bad as star citizen except you wont see them listing a gold plated axe selling for 1000 real dollars, or a in game ferrari for 2000.

But i do keep going back to 7dtd.
I love the build mechanics in the game for base building.
Valheim tho, is the only game i can think of where you can die from carbon monoxide fixation, by not having a proper vent hole for your camp fire.
Great way to kill your team mates... make a smoke box and have them all go in and block the door.

Haha that’s awesome, I nearly killed myself early game because I fixed up my place too well.
Gotta remember this for when I play with my buddies.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Survival games are weird. I feel like, as a concept, it's great. In execution, I've generally seen them as rougelikes with some survival elements tacked on.

I'm my mind's eye, I think of basically a game like Skyrim but more: huge open world, beautiful desolate vistas, wild life and monsters, simple but accessable combat system, light RPG mechanics... But with a solid fort/house/town building mechanism to make your self one or more "safe houses" in an otherwise cold and hostile world. Most importantly, the game should have some actual narrative and an "end game", rather than just being an open ended sim.

I've heard that Valheim gets the combat mechanics reasonably spot on, but have not heard a lot else about it.

Feb 4, 2009
Survival games are weird. I feel like, as a concept, it's great. In execution, I've generally seen them as rougelikes with some survival elements tacked on.

I'm my mind's eye, I think of basically a game like Skyrim but more: huge open world, beautiful desolate vistas, wild life and monsters, simple but accessable combat system, light RPG mechanics... But with a solid fort/house/town building mechanism to make your self one or more "safe houses" in an otherwise cold and hostile world. Most importantly, the game should have some actual narrative and an "end game", rather than just being an open ended sim.

I've heard that Valheim gets the combat mechanics reasonably spot on, but have not heard a lot else about it.

Combat is simple but satisfying.
If you hate survival games you won’t like Valheim. The survival aspect is minor but it is always there.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Combat is simple but satisfying.
If you hate survival games you won’t like Valheim. The survival aspect is minor but it is always there.

-Based on my (admittedly vague) description of my ideal survival game, have you or anyone heard or something that would scratch the itch?

Feb 4, 2009
-Based on my (admittedly vague) description of my ideal survival game, have you or anyone heard or something that would scratch the itch?

Depends on your definition but yes the environment can look beautiful even though it isn’t exactly high fidelity. There is cooking and food to manage, you do need to carry a stash of food to eat periodically. I haven’t starved to death, I think the food requirement is about your stamina bar and overall health but I am not sure about this.
Crafting is pretty basic, craft a club or bow or armor or whatever and use stuff you have gathered to upgrade them.
I just crafted my first pick axe so I can’t talk about mining and dungeons but it exists.
You can build a decent base but a castle will require a lot of work imo.
Placement of stuff is limited by where you workbench is located but *I believe* you can build more than one or you can pickup your bench and move it.
You can craft boats and rafts but I haven’t done that yet. There are sea monsters (I have heard)
Hunting is challenging and satisfying.
I haven’t farmed or raised animals yet.
Single player wise the bosses are challenging. I’ve only fought the first one but it was difficult. There are occasional large creatures in the Black Forest and I assume other places that will kick your ass.
Regular monsters are pretty easy.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Survival game? I'm out.

same with me. I picked up ...eh, Medieval Life, or some such the other week. Thought, hey maybea sandbox run a medieval village thing would be chill enough for me....but then I died suddenly because I didn't realize I was supposed to be eating and drinking (only option is....drinking from the lake for now. seriously? that would kill me just as fast. anyway....). Then things got a little better. Chopped some trees, built a house, trapped some rabbits. skinned them. seasons turned and I could now pick ripe berries. recruited a lady to join my village....but she wanted a house and a job. she was getting angry. built a house...but apparently I need to build food storage and give her a farming job. i can't really plant anything for another season. she's already pissed. i'm also getting hungry and ran out of my starter plantains and those that I could pick from the field. can't figure out how to burn the meat that I skinned from rabbits. I'm getting hungry and about to die....so I stopped playing for a week.

can't handle the anxiety. lol.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
same with me. I picked up ...eh, Medieval Life, or some such the other week. Thought, hey maybea sandbox run a medieval village thing would be chill enough for me....but then I died suddenly because I didn't realize I was supposed to be eating and drinking (only option is....drinking from the lake for now. seriously? that would kill me just as fast. anyway....). Then things got a little better. Chopped some trees, built a house, trapped some rabbits. skinned them. seasons turned and I could now pick ripe berries. recruited a lady to join my village....but she wanted a house and a job. she was getting angry. built a house...but apparently I need to build food storage and give her a farming job. i can't really plant anything for another season. she's already pissed. i'm also getting hungry and ran out of my starter plantains and those that I could pick from the field. can't figure out how to burn the meat that I skinned from rabbits. I'm getting hungry and about to die....so I stopped playing for a week.

can't handle the anxiety. lol.

"Medieval Dynasty" is the game. Haven't played it in a few months, but I like the general feel of it. It's just more relaxed than other Survival games.

Feb 4, 2009

Here is a video of me in my first dungeon. Excuse the first 30 seconds of me bumbling around.

This is where the game can be very unforgiving.
BTW the sun was in that position when I entered the dungeon. Not sure if it was chance or by design but really cool how the low sun could be seen from the stairs.

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I bought it after my coworkers were talking about it. Have only played single player, and it's a little boring that way. I'm sure it's better with friends, but I rarely have free time at the same time as others.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I picked it up over the weekend but didn't really have time to play. Been playing about 30 mins to an hr the last few nights. Just learned how to use the plow so I'll be messing around trying to build a decent structure. I'll probably bring my laptop to work and play during my lunches to kill some time.

SupportMain

Feb 25, 2021
gamegator.net
Valheim is one of those games that pulls at the strings of nostalgia and uses it to produce a melody of its own.

I like the simplistic graphics. While the graphics could be better, it seems that the developers are focusing more on actual meat of what makes survival video games great: Competent designing, gameplay, and a sense of progression.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER
Feb 4, 2009
Valheim is one of those games that pulls at the strings of nostalgia and uses it to produce a melody of its own.

I like the simplistic graphics. While the graphics could be better, it seems that the developers are focusing more on actual meat of what makes survival video games great: Competent designing, gameplay, and a sense of progression.

This and I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a graphics update or a updated game engine to provide HD type character animation.
Obviously this would happen in the future

I do like the current look, big monsters have a cool look and feel to them.

Reactions: SupportMain

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005
This and I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a graphics update or a updated game engine to provide HD type character animation.
Obviously this would happen in the future

I do like the current look, big monsters have a cool look and feel to them.
A troll smashed my forward base in the forest to bits last night. Stupid raids. Ton of fun.

Feb 4, 2009
A troll smashed my forward base in the forest to bits last night. Stupid raids. Ton of fun.

That’s cool, one thing I do miss are base attacks. I had one super lame one but that is all.
I do have a video of me hiding from a troll it was pretty cool. Before I started the video I found a huge troll in the dark forest. He chased me for a long time then got stuck on some terrain. Thing that I found really cool was the Troll didn’t just run back to his spawn point like so many other games. He hung around patrolling the area like he was looking for me.
Video is only me hiding from him and getting a good look but it still was an amazing game moment.