Let's Draft Our Kids...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Sounds like they want to draft people into civil service jobs and not necessarily military only. It's not unusual, China basically does this already.

Nov 29, 2006
There was nothing at all wrong with the draft. Why get rid of it in the first place? Ever since it's inception the job creators and their children who were destined for leadership could pass on the death and slaughter, all while the less desirables of the caste could fight the battles and die off. It was win-win. With a draft those with the right pull and connections can be spared for more important things like leadership and CEO positions while the rest of the dreg can have a taste of some actual work.

roflmao

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
This country is far too accepting with military action on foreign soil.

"You have joined an endless battle, my lord. But if you weary of fighting it here, amid that which you hold dear, then come with me—I ride on the hells tomorrow."​

It is better to fight wars in OTHER people's lands than in your own.

Last edited:

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
A few things are unmentioned here. We had a good and growing antiwar movement starting around 1965, fueled mainly by the draft. Once President Noxin ( Noxin is Nixon spelled backwards ) ended the drat early in his first term, that antiwar movement largely fizzled out.

The draft ended during Nixon's second term.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Only if everyone who says abortion should be legal allows one of their children to be killed.

Yeah, both are dumb ideas.

There seems to be a common theme in liberal action.

We want universal health care. Lets deny health benefits to Congress to force them to vote for it.

We do not like wars. Lets force people into the "military" to keep wars from happening.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Sounds like they want to draft people into civil service jobs and not necessarily military only. It's not unusual, China basically does this already.

Because China is a paragon of freedom and liberty!!!!!!! ^_^

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This is another example of many that a certain part of our society believes the govt owns you. Either fight a war or dig a ditch for for the govt. And anybody with a brain who objects can, but lose all govt benefits they will surely still have to pay the tax for. Because we all know that money you earned isnt yours, it is the govts.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I'm a little curious as to how big we'll need to grow our military just to handle all these draftees.

And the civil service portion sounds like slavery. I guess this is what happens when the Mexicans start returning to Mexico and we lose our slave labor pool.

SS Trooper

Jun 18, 2012
An idea like this is never going to be widely accepted. But I would love to take part of this idea and apply it to future, or current generations.

That being - if you are raised in a family that recieves gov't handouts that you be forced to enlist for a time depending on your family size and length of time handouts are recieved

The aim of this would be to discourge free riders who take handouts when it's not really necessary. But that would assume that these people actually care for their kids other than using them as meal tickets.

This is not a thought out idea, but you should be able to understand what I am getting at.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Then lets pass a law that says we cant go to war without a national vote. There should be a law that says all the politicians male familiy members would be sent first.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
In korea they had a military tax and if you could not pay the tax they sent on of your children to be in the military. However, in modern times all young men have to serve in the military for about 2 years. Then in some other countries, like italy they have a requirement for all young men to spend about 18 months in the military. Different countries do different things.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
I say put the kids of those who vote for wars of aggression in the first wave.
Lets see some real American heroism.
Dick Cheneys grandkids need to avenge their grandpas 37 exemptions.

If Cheney or Bush had seen service in Vietnam I doubt we would of had the rush to war with Iraq that we had. I think a draft makes some sense.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe there should be a new rule where only those who were drafted can vote to implement a peace-time draft.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Every 6 months to a year another lefty Democrat comes up with the idea to reinstate the draft, usually for 2 reasons, they think it will energize an anti-war effort and they love the idea of forcing fellow citizens to perform some sort of service. Nothing new here just another authoritarian lefty.
Pretty much. Although they always seem to have plenty other uses for all that slave labor.

How about any parent that wants to wage an aggressive war must volunteer one son or daughter to fight in the front lines?
As this is not yet a Marxist utopia nor an Islamic Republic, no one has the right to volunteer someone else, even a child. But you just keep dreaming, sunshine, I'm sure one way or another your day is coming.

I think he's right about a 'war tax'. Before passing the Amendment for income taxes, I'm pretty sure we used to fund wars with a straight up 'war tax'.

I'm not sure how having people in the military who just drive generals around or paint barracks etc. amounts to having any skin in the game. From the sound of it they wouldn't be fighting.

Fern
The draft is a horrible idea, but I think the idea of completely paying for military operations with deployments via a separate tax is an excellent idea. It needs to fall on everyone, whether you're on disability/Social Security or making your nut with tax-free munis. Then we'd all have skin in the game without breaking the greatest military in the world and politicians would have to really sell the public before they put our soldiers in harm's way.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Fine, if you want to be dense, I should have stated: Escalated American involvement to the existing Vietnam War. Happy? Eisenhower started it.
Johnson first committed ground troops into Vietnam, Third Marines in 1965. Prior to that we had only military advisers (albeit damned near a division of them) and our Air Force was restricted to deforestation and self defense until 1965.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Herman Goring of Nazi Germany was right, its always easy to drum up a war. just appeal to national patriotism and the mother land or father land and we can all have the war our politicians desire.

But that old conventional war gamble is and always was a gamble. The side that wins the war has the bragging rights even if they lose a half a generation of their young men killed or injured in action. As for Nazi Germany, being on the losing side was far more costly.

But now we civilized nations now live in far more civilized times, as the prospect of mutual assured destruction in thermonuclear warfare a thing of the past for "civilized" nations.

As our civilized nations need not abandon warfare, as we now longer entertain dreams of picking on nuclear armed nations, and instead have the wonders of proxy wars instead. One nuclear armed nation tries to take over some third world nation, the other evil empire nuclear armed nations aids the nation we attacked, as we can have this wonderful dress rehearsal for WW3 without the bother of actually having WW3 and mutually assured destruction. Its simply great for the national interests of the USA, the USSR, the Chinese, the Brits, and Nato, but it really sucks to be that third world nation and its people when they become ground zero in a proxy war.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
"You have joined an endless battle, my lord. But if you weary of fighting it here, amid that which you hold dear, then come with me—I ride on the hells tomorrow."​

It is better to fight wars in OTHER people's lands than in your own.

Guess what? Nobody is dumb enough to come here and start a war against 300 million armed citizens that are used to their freedom. How can someone named sage be so intentionally obtuse?

It is better to not fight wars than to keep begging for someone to step up like we do. One day someone will meet that challenge and this country will follow in the footsteps of other overly aggressive militant countries such as Napoleanic France & Hitler's Germany.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
we wont need a draft. america owns the planet. period. if you think about history in general, right now we are systematically dismantling the middle east. i doubt we will stop there. i think in some form, american government is going to encompass the globe. theres just nothing that is going to stop us, unless we fail ourselves. thats why were being methodical and diplomatic about it; our government is doing to the world what they do to us civilians. pwn them while having a smile on their face. make it seem like its for their own good and safety.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Only if everyone who says abortion should be legal allows one of their children to be killed.

Yeah, both are dumb ideas.
I did start a poll about this a while back. The question was whether or not pro-choice people would get an abortion. Most of them said yes - they support legal abortion and they would be willing to have it done to their own.

I can certainly see the point being made by conscripting people, but it would be a lot less effective in modern times. Back in WW1 guys would run into machine gun fire and die by the thousand. Now, all of Iraq can be wiped out in less than 1 month and the risk of dying during those first stages is lower than the risk of dying at a metallica concert.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
we wont need a draft. america owns the planet. period. if you think about history in general, right now we are systematically dismantling the middle east. i doubt we will stop there. i think in some form, american government is going to encompass the globe. theres just nothing that is going to stop us, unless we fail ourselves. thats why were being methodical and diplomatic about it; our government is doing to the world what they do to us civilians. pwn them while having a smile on their face. make it seem like its for their own good and safety.

We will simply run out funds to create our world govt. We are no different than previous empires. Empires that eventually crumbled under their own weight.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
The draft (and the state) are worse than chattel slavery. At least slaves weren't in danger and had good living conditions.

If chattel slavery is inhumane, then how is deadly slavery humane?