Let's Do The Time Change Again.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i love the time change

it gets me another hour after work in the evening, for the few months when the weather is actually nice

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm off now but next week I'm on day shift again so think that's when I'll really feel it. It was JUST starting to get a tiny bit of light out in the morning, and now it will be back to pure darkness. That sudden shift is always what messes me up, and the fact that I'm technically getting up an hour earlier every day. My body doesn't care what the clock says, it has it's own internal clock. It's always harder to go to bed early too because it's like going to bed an hour early so I'm not tired enough.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Why? Everything is fine with DST. Why would I change jobs? Seems like you are the one with the problem of something unspecified. Is it lack of ability to do things in warm sunny evenings in March? Is it that you prefer kayaking for a few minutes in cold March mornings instead (cut short since you need to now shower before work, plus drive from the lake to home in that precious morning light)?
It puts stress on the body and the more vulnerable get heart attacks triggered.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Gives a full extra hour of light after work to actually have fun and be physical outside. I'm not sure why physics need to be altered for that.
I used to think it was great to have DST. I believe they've changed it to a much higher percentage of the year. Nowadays I am not crazy about it. This year is an outlier, I haven't changed my clocks YET! Oh, I will. It's a PITA.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
When you have depression DST is a godsend. I loathe falling back in the fall. At least they made ST shorter which helps.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
DST actually sometimes triggers depression for me. It messes up my sleep patterns and means I have to get up an hour early in total darkness when it was JUST starting to be a bit of light out. Getting up at 7 really feels like getting up at 6 now. And just when the mornings were getting a tad easier due to some light, now it's back to total darkness again. It means I spend most of the day tired, but by the time I actually have to go to bed I'm now too awake because going to bed at a given time is like going to bed an hour earlier so then I can't fall asleep since I'm not tired enough. Takes a good couple months to get my body used to that. Typically once we're in summer and it's light out in the early morning it makes it a bit easier to get up at least.

I couldn't care less about light after work, the day is over at that point anyway and I need to try to go to bed early if I work the next day. If I want to do anything, I do that stuff on a day off when I actually have a full day to myself.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
It puts stress on the body and the more vulnerable get heart attacks triggered.
Agreed. There are many drawbacks (although many are addressed by staying at DST). But that isn't the discussion. The discussion is this quote:
with zero positive attributes.
I'm not disagreeing that there are negative attributes. I am disagreeing with the idea that there are zero positive attributes from the very first reply on the thread.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
why not change business hours rather than the time itself?
That would work too. Although getting ~334 million companies to change rather than ~70 countries is a lot harder. And it would still have the drawback that people complain about: getting up later/earlier and associated problems stemming from that.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Normally I'd bitch and moan about it, but I'm pouring a concrete sidewalk in my backyard this weekend so I'm all for the extra hour of daylight to prep. But yeah, just decide to either do it or don't and make it final. Getting up at 7am and it barely being sunrise was annoying yesterday and today.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I used to think it was great to have DST. I believe they've changed it to a much higher percentage of the year. Nowadays I am not crazy about it. This year is an outlier, I haven't changed my clocks YET! Oh, I will. It's a PITA.
It most recently changed in 2007. Went from changing the first Sunday of April to second Sunday of March, and the last Sunday of October to first Sunday of November. We had to make a bunch of updates at work to handle the offset from UTC for various calculations.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
As for my personal experience with DST.

Loss of an hour of sleep sucks.

The real killer was in freshman year of college, where I missed a test because I didn't adjust a clock. That was the first half of 2007.