Let me see your papers Stop & Frisk polarizes New York

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
7-3-2012

http://news.yahoo.com/insight-under-siege-stop-frisk-polarizes-york-050442831.html

Let Me See Your Papers:

"Stop and frisk" polarizes New York

Telly Hudgins has been stopped and frisked by the police too many times to count in the Brownsville, New York, public housing project where he lives. One occasion sticks in his memory. "I had my pajamas on and my slippers on and I'm emptying my garbage" at the trash chute. "They asked me for ID to prove I lived there. Who walks around in their pajamas with ID?" asked the black, 35-year-old counselor for the mentally handicapped. He says he complained about the search and was issued a summons for disorderly conduct.

Police stops in New York City have climbed steadily to more than 685,000 last year from nearly 161,000 in 2003.

A Reuters analysis of more than 3 million stops from 2006 through 2011 shows that by far the densest concentrations fell in areas of public housing, home to many of the city's poorest families and where 90 percent of residents are black or Hispanic. Although one would expect a heavy concentration of police stops in these densely populated areas, the stop rate is disproportionate: In 2011, police stopped people in these areas at a rate more than three times higher than elsewhere in the city, the analysis found.

The study also shows that more than half the searches happened not on the streets and paths around these buildings but inside them - in stairwells, lobbies and corridors.

Last spring, years after the pajama incident, Hudgins stepped out of an elevator in his building as a pair of cops were getting in. As it often does on Mondays, Hudgins said, the elevator smelled of alcohol. Police stopped him, saying they suspected he was drinking alcohol from the cup in his hand. They insisted he hand over his drink, sniffed it, and told him it smelled like alcohol, Hudgins said. No, he insisted; it was a mix of iced tea and lemonade. There in the lobby of his own building, at the age of 34 and with no criminal record, Hudgins was issued two tickets - one for disorderly conduct and another for having an alcoholic beverage in an open container.

Hudgins had had enough. He filed a formal complaint with the city's Civilian Complaint Review Board. Both summonses were eventually dismissed, according to court records provided by Hudgins. "You can be stopped on any given day, for anything," he said. "It's humiliating."

Vanessa Chandler, 47, who is black, said she has lived in city housing on Brownsville's Sutter Avenue since she was a child, and that aggressive policing in the area is intrusive.

"If I go back to my building in the morning because I forgot my bus pass, they are on you with, ‘Why did you go into that building and back out again?' Or if I walk outside to check the weather and go back in, it's the same thing," she said. "I mean, don't you step outside to check the weather where you live, officer?"

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
A Reuters analysis of more than 3 million stops from 2006 through 2011 shows that by far the densest concentrations fell in areas of public housing, home to many of the city's poorest families and where 90 percent of residents are black or Hispanic. Although one would expect a heavy concentration of police stops in these densely populated areas, the stop rate is disproportionate: In 2011, police stopped people in these areas at a rate more than three times higher than elsewhere in the city, the analysis found.

Gee, I wonder why? :confused:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
There's a reason the founding fathers put in the amendment on searches and seizure. I'm against giving police the right to search (and potentially seize) anyone anytime for no particular reason. Why should everyone be forced to have an ID on them at all times?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Because it targets US citizens instead of illegal immigrants? :D

sadly you are 100% correct.

america is so fucked up i dont think its fixable.

Happy 4th of july!!! enjoy what remaining freedoms we have while we still have them!!

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I love this part the most :thumbsup:

more than half the searches happened not on the streets and paths around these buildings but inside them - in stairwells, lobbies and corridors.

I don't see how anyone who values freedom even a little bit could support this.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001

I don't support it but playing devil's advocate I'd guess the argument would be that in public housing stairwells, lobbies and corridors are not private property but in fact public and thus it is acceptable. It probably isn't hard to get public support for this kind of thing under the same idea as mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
There's a reason the founding fathers put in the amendment on searches and seizure. I'm against giving police the right to search (and potentially seize) anyone anytime for no particular reason. Why should everyone be forced to have an ID on them at all times?

This. Stop & Search policies are a direct affront to our liberty/freedom. ID should not be required either.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001

Wait, so is this inside their home or the one I pay for? if its the latter then its no different then them being on he street. I don't see a problem here.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
This is really too bad. Oh well, America has been on it's way down for a long time now. Just a matter of time before we hit the bottom.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Because it targets US citizens instead of illegal immigrants? :D

and that is the sad part. people were up in arms about Arizona maybe perhaps doing it to illegal immigrants but do they care its happening to US citizens? naaa

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Wait, so is this inside their home or the one I pay for? if its the latter then its no different then them being on he street. I don't see a problem here.

I think the issue is that the cops are being over the top and probably acting like jerks, IE expecting someone in their pajamas carrying trash to the chute to have there ID with them. I bet if you walked outside your residence to take out the trash that you wouldn't have your ID on you.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

Pretty sick and sad that you see no problem with stopping people for doing nothing wrong, frisking them and demanding ID. It doesn't matter where they are. D:

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
Pretty sick and sad that you see no problem with stopping people for doing nothing wrong, frisking them and demanding ID. It doesn't matter where they are. D:

Its funny, in the projects people bitch when they are asked to show ID.
I have clients in gated communities and it is completely expected that if you are not a familiar face, you will be asked for ID. Not one person has a problem with it, and if they do they can go and not come back. People actually PAY to live where LEO's ask people for ID. It just might behoove these people that are being asked for ID to become part of the community and befriend the LEOs instead of making them out to be the bad guy. There is no need to ask for an ID when you know the guys first name and have shared a coffee a and a story or two.

And before you go all, he doesn't know what he's talking about, I grew up in the projects. I know what life is like there and the mentality of the folk living there. I doubt there is more than a handful of people that post on this forum that were even close to as poor as I was growing up. I lived on the street from 13 up until I was locked up in an ILF at 17. Its a game with these people.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I'm not sure how this is even remotely legal.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are not alone Nintendesert, but its kinda irrelevant, with people like Scalia, Thomas, and Alito on SCOTUS, the real question is does Scalia even know how to read the clear and unmistakable language of our US constitution? And does it even matter if he knows how to read or not? That is what morally bankrupt law clerks are for!

Silly Nintendesert, have you not heard of the golden rule? Those that have the gold make the rules, now supersized by the supremes who tell us money is free speech.

Last edited:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Awesome, hopefully they adopt this Nationwide. :thumbsup:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Finally Dave has a good idea. Its the answer for unemployment. If every American citizen is employed for eight hours a day, to watch over only 3 of his fellow citizens, to make sure they are not up to no good no doubt, crime as we know it would end. Meanwhile in their leisure hours and sleeping hours, other American citizens could keep their eyes on their watchers, and what a wonderful society it will be.

Last edited:

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
You give the authorities an inch of new authority, and they always turn it into a foot. This is just another example of why we should be extremely leery of new things like drones ending up in regular police force use.