Lenzfire.com: Entire Nvidia Kepler Series Specifications, Price & Release Date

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Captain Kirk's nipples.

FYI, I took the trouble to look this up for those of you who, like me, were a bit weirded out by this statement:

Urban Dictionary: Captain Kirk's Nipples:

Something to say when you experience something astonishing or amazing

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
FYI, I took the trouble to look this up for those of you who, like me, were a bit weirded out by this statement:

themoreyouknow.jpg

ther00kie16

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2008
Looks too good to be true... G80 team back on track?
And mid-range with previous gen flagship's performance? That's reminiscent of 7600gt days. If only the price were in the $200 range like back then.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
You put it in a cage, starve it, and poke it with a stick :hmm:

Does that mean it will compete like a champ for it's first bout and possible die of exhaustion during a marathon session?

Reminds me of Spartucus' first match with Krix (yes I'm now watching this amazing show haha.)

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Charlie has a short article on what he thinks the die size of GK104 is: http://semiaccurate.com/2012/02/06/how-big-is-the-keplergk104-die/

He did not, however, remove the heat spreader soooooo..............

Actually both the GTX 460 and the GTX 260 more or less had the performance of the previous gen flagships.

While the stock gtx460 had performance about equal to a gtx285 at release (gtx460 eventually surpassed the gtx285 most of the time with driver revisions), most gtx460's were not stock. And, since the gtx460 was a cutdown version of the middle Fermi due to design issues Nvidia had, I think comparing BOTH the gtx460 and gtx560ti to the gtx285 is relevant. The gtx560ti was 50% faster than a gtx285, then I'm still expecting GK104 to be at least a little bit faster than the gtx580.

Last edited:

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Apple has been using AMD GPUs for discrete cards for around two years now, IIRC. They don't have options with NVIDIA GPUs for the vast majority of their lines because AMD has superior performance/watt.

And even if I don't like Apple, that's the best combo right now: Intel CPU, AMD GPU.

While I agree with you in principle, the Intel + NV options on the mobile side have been very good. The 'Optimus' tech is extremely power efficient and allows very good battery life when not using GPU-taxing applications.

Personally, I would LOVE to see Kepler be a very efficient GPU. That means excellent performance per/watt, and that means they are always scalable up to a even more performance part. It would be great to see more mainstream GPUs go down to <150W each. Most people with cheaper OEM builds just cannot throw in a 200W+ GPU utilizing their existing system (PSU, case, etc).

I liked the days when you could buy a HP/Dell/IBM system and throw in a great GPU without doing anything else. That would be a great boon to the PC gaming industry to lower the barrier of entry, so to speak, so that these GPUs are not so power-hungry. Competition can breed that, with time.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Charlie has a short article on what he thinks the die size of GK104 is: http://semiaccurate.com/2012/02/06/how-big-is-the-keplergk104-die/

He did not, however, remove the heat spreader soooooo..............

While the stock gtx460 had performance about equal to a gtx285 at release (gtx460 eventually surpassed the gtx285 most of the time with driver revisions), most gtx460's were not stock. And, since the gtx460 was a cutdown version of the middle Fermi due to design issues Nvidia had, I think comparing BOTH the gtx460 and gtx560ti to the gtx285 is relevant. The gtx560ti was 50% faster than a gtx285, then I'm still expecting GK104 to be at least a little bit faster than the gtx580.

So do you believe all of Charlie's info or just some of it? If Charlie is to be believed, the initial Kepler's will be a disappointment. I don't know what to believe for the time being, but the specs mentioned in this thread are too far fetched to be true.

All I do know is that i'm pretty interested in these parts and hope they get released SOON! I need new toys. I like new and shiny

Last edited:

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
The 7970 is already pushing the limit of todays cpu's (Especially cfx'ed). They must really be using some majorly insane resolutions, AA, AF, ect.. and 5ghz 2600/2700k's to get a notable 45% increase over 7970???

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
So do you believe all of Charlie's info or just some of it? If Charlie is to be believed, the initial Kepler's will be a disappointment. I don't know what to believe for the time being, but the specs mentioned in this thread are too far fetched to be true.

All I do know is that i'm pretty interested in these parts and hope they get released SOON! I need new toys. I like new and shiny

Reread Charlie's articles and then read his thread posts. He isn't sure that he believes his own material. He says many times he does not know the extent of whatever special ingredient Kepler's GK104 has. ............ I predict the top end GK104 chip will outperform a gtx580 in nearly all situations that are not bandwidth-starved. 5-10% faster on average.

Last edited:

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001

Glad you clarified that for me. I was weirded out and wasn't sure I wanted to know.