Lenovo released a Cannon Lake laptop

not_someone

May 12, 2018
Last edited:

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
It's the effect everybody was already talking about: Intel successfully kept pushing 14nm into such high frequencies that they now have troubles achieving the same for 10nm, making it look like a step backward and ensuring that it will be further and further delayed.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It's the effect everybody was already talking about: Intel successfully kept pushing 14nm into such high frequencies that they now have troubles achieving the same for 10nm, making it look like a step backward and ensuring that it will be further and further delayed.

Think it's more about binning as loose as possible to ensure that any chips with both cores actually functional are usable.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Think it's more about binning as loose as possible to ensure that any chips with both cores actually functional are usable.
Essentially the same difference. Regardless of cause so far Intel has no 10nm product that would look well among their 14nm products. Intel kept pushing (and exploiting) the maturity of 14nm, so the lack of it for 10nm is an obvious disadvantage.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
And the iGPU is entirely non-functional. What a mess. This product is definitely a "CEO bonus special", no other explanation for actually shipping this turd.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
The embarrassing thing is Intel designed CNL-U as dualcore CPU and thought this is good enough. It's a big design failure.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The embarrassing thing is Intel designed CNL-U as dualcore CPU and thought this is good enough. It's a big design failure.

Honestly, even this is overkill for the targeted market. Well, if it had a functional GPU.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
5W Y is a very limited market, U is much more important. And even for 5W Y 2C is a poor design choice, it's hard to advertise 2C and to be honest 2C for a 10nm product what a failure from Intel.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
5W Y is a very limited market, U is much more important. And even for 5W Y 2C is a poor design choice, it's hard to advertise 2C and to be honest 2C for a 10nm product what a failure from Intel.

Serious question, what products outside of games do you use that might actually come close to utilizing 4 cores?

I think Intel intended Y to be much more popular by marketing fanless laptops. 15W you need a fan.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
Dual core without even a functional igp is disaster, maybe the cpu have lower power consumption, but without igp whole package will consume more power.

not_someone

May 12, 2018
Serious question, what products outside of games do you use that might actually come close to utilizing 4 cores?

I think Intel intended Y to be much more popular by marketing fanless laptops. 15W you need a fan.

Well, seems that this gets throttled to 2.6GHz with 2 cores used at 15W, so 4.5W is out of the question for this part.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Well, seems that this gets throttled to 2.6GHz with 2 cores used at 15W, so 4.5W is out of the question for this part.

Pretty sure Intel can restrict the max turbo at given cores for marketing (or binning) reasons. So if the contra-revenue rumor was about Cannonlake maybe Intel doesn't want it getting that close to the 8130U.

You need a functioning GPU for a 5W part! Can't exactly pair it with a 15W GPU in a tablet...

Plans don't always go exactly to plan, you know.

not_someone

May 12, 2018
Pretty sure Intel can restrict the max turbo at given cores for marketing (or binning) reasons. So if the contra-revenue rumor was about Cannonlake maybe Intel doesn't want it getting that close to the 8130U.

Plans don't always go exactly to plan, you know.
The 8130U is an much older Kaby Lake-U part. It's damning that no Cannon Lake higher-end parts even exist

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
And I was wondering why there are CPUID for 2+0 Parts.... turns out 10nm is possibly much worst then we thought.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
And I was wondering why there are CPUID for 2+0 Parts.... turns out 10nm is possibly much worst then we thought.

Might be just an unfixable HW design defect, that they've remedied with a new stepping. Or the GPU part is very hard to fab, with resulting low yields.

I'm not hopeful though.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Might be just an unfixable HW design defect, that they've remedied with a new stepping. Or the GPU part is very hard to fab, with resulting low yields.

Intel basically confirmed that 10 nm functional yields are still in the toilet. It's not a GPU specific issue, simply that yields are that bad.

Reactions: ksec

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I don't really understand what is going on with this 10nm product. What is the issue with the lack of GPU? Why can't they get the GPU to work and why is the chip as a whole using so much power to produce such a low score?

Also, it appears some of the subtests indicate better IPC, yet somehow the chip as a whole has horrendous performance... what is going on here?

It seems there is some issue with 10nm drawing insane amounts of power which to me sounds like a leakage issue.

not_someone

May 12, 2018
I don't really understand what is going on with this 10nm product. What is the issue with the lack of GPU? Why can't they get the GPU to work and why is the chip as a whole using so much power to produce such a low score?

Also, it appears some of the subtests indicate better IPC, yet somehow the chip as a whole has horrendous performance... what is going on here?

It seems there is some issue with 10nm drawing insane amounts of power which to me sounds like a leakage issue.

The BEOL on Intel 10nm is just that bad.