Lenovo/EMC 2-bay PX2-300D ($99.99), IX2 ($59.99) and 4-bay IX4-300D ($109.99) NAS units @ Newegg (Sold by Centrix Intl.)

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Same fan speeds?
My IX2 runs like 20 hotter than my PX4. Let us know what you find out.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Interesting discovery among my two PX6-300D's.. Both were brand spanking new, in new retail box..both running same firmware, etc..
The second one I received is idling around 48C.. the first one is around 20C higher. (only difference is it has 6, 3.5 inch 2TB drives in it.. versus the one that runs cooler has four 2TB drives + 2 small 256gb SSD's).

Maybe I should pull the fan/heatsink and possible re-paste these.. considering they are new, old stock that have been sitting and might have dried up thermal paste?

Tjunction spec on the D525 CPU is 100C... assuming both of my NAS's are well within safe range .. just thought this was odd on the 20C difference with same two boxes :)

This may be relevant to your temp differences.

Looks like it might not be too difficult to repaste the CPU. You might even be able to upgrade the heatsink/fan but it looks like the fan needs to be speed controlled.
b_550_0_16777215_00_images_stories_nas_iomega_px6_300d_iomega_px6_300d_board.jpg

I ordered an IX2-DL from Centrix a few months ago but never got around to setting it up. I got concerned about the no more support issue so I picked up a Synology DS220J with two 8TB WD Red Plus (CMR) drives during the recent Amazon prime sale. I have it up and running but still learning about it before I start backing up. This is my first time working with NAS. I'll probably setup the IX2-DL to play around with at a later date after I make sure the firmware is up to date and the security is tightened up.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
If I am reading things correctly in the link in the above post, the author is using a M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 adapter to add a SSD in addition to the 4 drives in the bays using the empty PCI slot at the rear of the case. I wonder if that might work with the native software, guessing not, but seems like some real speed gains possible.

I am also wondering if the software will only detect a UPS connected on the serial port, not the USB?

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004
Anybody used a USB Flash stick to recover the system on an IX2? I ran a test yesterday without success. I might not have been patient enough. There was this link: https://www.myhacklog.com/restore-an-iomega-lenovo-storcenter-ix2-ng/ but I ended with with the solid RED LED. The drive might have not been clean when I started, and I might play with it later (I'm getting a bunch of 80GB drives set up as starters right now, and that takes a LONG time). In theory, it should have booted from the flash drive, then copied the image to the installed hard drive. I might have been too impatient with it. Even prepping 80GB drives, the restore operation to a second drive can take an hour or two. I found other bits of data out there, from the IOmega days, mostly hosted by Wayback - apparently you can directly set up a hard drive with a Linux machine running GParted and such.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
This from my searching around

"It is possible to avoid doing this and boot from an external USB drive, but that requires going into the BIOS to change the boot order since the stock BIOS resets this selection on cold boot. This means if the machine loses power someone will have to be physically present to press the Delete key on boot to change the boot order. "

From this article. https://azxiana.io/2020/10/27/building-a-home-nas-for-163-usd/

Jul 30, 2015
Those PX4-300D's went quick... I recall looking last week on Parallel Miner and they had quite a few .. now they are OOS..
oh well.. i do not need them :laughing:

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Top PCIe can take a NVMe M.2 adapter, I was looking at this Toshiba, but listing warns again using in older laptops. Anybody know what that means?

WPGRonin

Dec 2, 2020
So what memory have people been stuffing into this PX4-400D unit? If so what brand, size and part numbers were used? I ask cause living in Canada, I can't get Apacer memory unless order from States and with exchange and shipping.........well that plan gets expensive fast. Thought I read that someone stuffed two 8GB dimms into their rig. I would settle for two 4Gb dimms if possible.

chiquito3

Mar 4, 2020
So what memory have people been stuffing into this PX4-400D unit? If so what brand, size and part numbers were used? I ask cause living in Canada, I can't get Apacer memory unless order from States and with exchange and shipping.........well that plan gets expensive fast. Thought I read that someone stuffed two 8GB dimms into their rig. I would settle for two 4Gb dimms if possible.
Well I'm curious now. How much RAM can the PX4-400D recognize?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
The key is that it gets expensive FAST, 1GB and 2GB PC3 laptop memory is fairly cheap, 4Gb sticks are not.

Hang on to your shorts, just found this on fleabay.

"This is a brand new Lenovo EMC² PX4-400D 4-Bay NAS only opened to install an Intel 10Gig Ethernet adapter and 8GB of RAM. Also installed 4 brand new HGST 3TB 7200RPM drives and an Xpenology USB boot-loader key to run Synology's DSM "much faster than factory Lenovo EMC OS". If you wish to run the factory OS, just remove the USB drive in the back and it will boot the internal OS and not DSM. I have setup a RAID 5 storage pool giving 9TB usable but you can reconfigure it as you see fit. Also included is an external eSATA connected128GB Adata SP900 configured as an SSD cache for massively accelerating random I/O on frequently accessed data. If you have any questions feel free to ask!"

chiquito3

Mar 4, 2020
The key is that it gets expensive FAST, 1GB and 2GB PC3 laptop memory is fairly cheap, 4Gb sticks are not.

Hang on to your shorts, just found this on fleabay.

"This is a brand new Lenovo EMC² PX4-400D 4-Bay NAS only opened to install an Intel 10Gig Ethernet adapter and 8GB of RAM. Also installed 4 brand new HGST 3TB 7200RPM drives and an Xpenology USB boot-loader key to run Synology's DSM "much faster than factory Lenovo EMC OS". If you wish to run the factory OS, just remove the USB drive in the back and it will boot the internal OS and not DSM. I have setup a RAID 5 storage pool giving 9TB usable but you can reconfigure it as you see fit. Also included is an external eSATA connected128GB Adata SP900 configured as an SSD cache for massively accelerating random I/O on frequently accessed data. If you have any questions feel free to ask!"
Guys, Is there someone here that could give me step by step instructions on how to mod my Lenovo PX4-400D to work as the one this guy is selling on ebay?

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I started a thread in I think memory and storage, but I don't really know anything. ;) Just repeat what I find in searches. It is more than time to move the discussion out of hot deals.

Bits and pieces of info in various posts in this thread. Basics are; put a Linux of your choice on a USB drive, hook up a keyboard, not sure how, maybe USB, and maybe a monitor to the HDMI, press delete key during boot to get to the bios and change boot sequence. What next gets more complicated.

Reactions: chiquito3

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

This thread is a little bit disconcerting.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
3.6TB in one of mine, tonight I will drop some more files on it to see what happens. I am not "real" concerned, but curious, and plan to respond to thread on the Lenovo forums either way. If it was a real problem I would expect more than one user to complain about it in 8 years of product life. OTOH I pust 2x 3TB in my first one, 6 years ago, and never had as much as 4TB on it.

Reactions: killster1

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004

This thread is a little bit disconcerting.

Strange. I put one together (6TB) for my son and his fiance, and have been filling it up with data, but I'm nowhere close to 4TB. I'd be really surprised if it failed.

On the other hand, it is strange that he put 2x 3TB in RAID0 and is complaining about not reaching 4TB. By my measure, a mirrored RAID array of 2 3TB drives is a 3TB usable volume. Maybe I'm missing something here.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I did mine JBOD, RAID0 is striped without parity, so 2x 3TB is a faster 6TB than JBOD, but maybe issues?

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Actually I can't remember if I picked RAID0 or JBOD, but I know JBOD was what I intended. Any idea how I could check this, the drive management page just shows no parity.

OTOH I did just notice an external storage widget, that needs playing with using my eSata to Sata cable and a spare SSD.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I popped in a white-label 4TB WD EZRZ drive, that was shucked from an unused factory-refurb WD MyBook 4TB desktop external.

The NAS initialized, I was able to upgrade the firmware twice, to get it to the newest firmware, but after all of that, it shows "Storage cannot start", "Shares cannot be created", and under the status panel, "Unused drives: 1".

Under the storage icon / tool thingy, I cannot click on "Storage Manager", it is greyed out. Nothing is listed for the drives, nor the attributes of the storage.

Is this drive perhaps black-listed in the firmware? Is that why it won't use it for shares?

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Did you format the drive first?

Do some shucked drives have some pin issue? I vaguely recall something like clip pin 3 or something.

EOL Lenovo, its not just a NAS, its an adventure.