legalizing marijuana

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's funny, growing up I was a midwest, DARE indoctrined rural kid who thought weed was the devil. It's only something for gang bangers and losers.
Turn 40, move to a recreational legal state, try some edibles and just go *shrug*... this is illegal, why?

Seriously...alcohol being legal and weed not is almost as dumb as giving kids access to an AR15 at 18 and saying sorry you can't have booze until you are 21.

We're just all sorts of fucked up on our priorities.

Last edited:

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
It's funny, growing up I was a midwest, DARE indoctrined rural kid who thought weed was the devil. It's only something for gang bangers and losers.
Turn 40, move to a recreational legal state, try some edibles and just go *shrug*... this is illegal, why?

Seriously...alcohol being legal and weed not is almost as dumb as giving kids access to an AR15 at 18 and saying sorry you can't have booze until you are 21.

We're just all sorts of fucked up on our priorities.
DARE did jack shit. I remember like 4th grade and some stupid DARE event where we marched around the playground and shit for it. Of course we were all chanting "just say yes" instead. Stick DARE in most places and drug use increases. Fucking moron adults.

That said, hey, creating million of criminals out of people who just want to get a safe, light buzz was and still is profitable for the people who own and operate this country for themselves, so, feature not a bug.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Like real real talk... I've vaped enough weed to stone a horse. The worse I did? Watched some Tenacious D videos with my teenager. I may have some times that it took me three attempts to grab the TV remote from another room before I finally remembered to do it. That's about it. It just doesn't have the same impact on emotion and decision making that alcohol does. It doesn't have the addictive nature that nicotine does. And just generally, I sleep better (objectively measured with sleep data) and feel less joint pain as I get older with it. If I could, I'd gladly trade weed for booze for the rest of my life.

I don't know if it's a chicken/egg thing where big tobacco can't make the jump before there's legislation to allow it, or if they need big tobacco to make the push to weed to get the legislation to follow. Somewhere enough palms aren't getting greased and I'm not exactly sure where that is.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
The only reason no real effort has been made to legalize it is that the pharmaceutical companies continue to line the pockets of your Congressman and Senators. In states where it is legal there has been a substantial decrease in opioid use, which is a huge money maker for pharma.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
First country in Asia just legalized it. Way to go Thailand. :D

Damn, Indonesia missed their opportunity. Legalization there could help spur tourism in Jakarta (losing out to Bangkok, Saigon, HCM City, even Kuala Lampur); would certainly fit in with the chill atmosphere of Bali, and would further solidify cultural ties with Amsterdam. He’ll, it’s literally called “Endo”nesia. Weed has been growing on Java and Sumatra for like 10 centuries.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Damn, Indonesia missed their opportunity. Legalization there could help spur tourism in Jakarta (losing out to Bangkok, Saigon, HCM City, even Kuala Lampur); would certainly fit in with the chill atmosphere of Bali, and would further solidify cultural ties with Amsterdam. He’ll, it’s literally called “Endo”nesia. Weed has been growing on Java and Sumatra for like 10 centuries.
Love Indo/Dutch food.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Man, I wish I could do weed. Its just has such a bad affect on me. Tried decades ago smoking, brownies and recently various edibles now that its legal in NY but I get wired and stay up all night. I'll stick to single malt whiskey.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Man, I wish I could do weed. Its just has such a bad affect on me. Tried decades ago smoking, brownies and recently various edibles now that its legal in NY but I get wired and stay up all night. I'll stick to single malt whiskey.

Try different strains? Most are a lot better labeled now. Get a good indica and melt into the bed.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Stay away from sativas and start with half recommended dose for edible first. You metabolize it differently when you eat it and it's easy to over do it. Does last longer than an alcohol buzz I suppose, which is good or bad depending on your needs. Go grab yourself a heavy indica strain and see how wired you feel. No all nighters with that stuff.

I quit alcohol many years ago and don't miss it. Well, I don't miss spirits. I do miss good cold beer in the summer at cafes and beer gardens. The reduction in headaches and stomach issues was as noticeable as my complexion improving though. Would recommend.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Navy Federal gives me a rebate for ATM fees, up to $20/month :cool:

Nice! I was going to say don't do because they'll charge a $3-$4 fee but in that case hey why not? Chances of a skimmer in most dispensaries are fairly low since it's pretty secure.

The place near me will also take a legit-bank MC/Visa debit card and process it directly like you were taking out cash at an ATM anyway which eliminates the ATM-owning middleman at least.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I guess I did not realize I had that feature. Yea, I'm a member :D
It was a surprise to me too the first time I got it :)
This wasn't the first time, but I wanted a little more cash to buy a record at the concert I attended last Friday, pulled $20 at the venue, got a total of $4 in fees, and the rebate of $4 hit my account on Wednesday.