League of Legends - F2P MOBA (like DOTA) part 2

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Add all the AT people from the first page of this and start queueing for games with us. I get the rare leaver, but I almost never see the non-english people... maybe it's a time of day thing ?

I've noticed the later I play (CST here) the more non english are on my team. I've also noticed that for some reason, these people tend to surrender for no reasons at all, even when winning. Highly annoying.

You are correct though, relaxing this game is not...then again, most competetive games are not relaxing at all. Frustrating and fun at the same time.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Everytime I've done Rammus that DBC is just not enough at low ranks to make jungling that safe for him. Not to mention he's taking damage on top to deal damage back. At level 4 the most you can have is two ranks of it. On top of that he doesn't have any life regen or healing beyond health pots. The time it lasts is only 6 seconds and has a fairly lengthy CD, which makes it useable only once per spawn except at red/blue. So that means at some point you are taking quite a bit of damage. On top of that, building his W first for upping the damage return on his DBC along with the armor value doesn't help his ganking potential all that much as he really needs to be upping his taunt for that. On top of that 1 pop of DBC will NOT kill even the weak creeps at the jungle spawns at rank 1 or 2. The blue and red spawns are actually very slow but heavy hitters which somewhat nullifies the effectiveness of DBC against them. DBC works best against faster attacks so it returns more while it's up. The blue golem will at max get 3 hits off while DBC is up.

Still after level 4, and especially 6 with some health regen items, he is safe. So it is basically his first run through the jungle that he's weak to counter jungling and not really that "safe" nor is he that fast.

I'm not saying he's not an effective jungler at all. He's decent and his 2nd + trips through the jungle he can literally fly through it with powerball between camps an such. It's his first run through that he's a bit weak compared to other junglers.

I run a 1/16/13 masteries with flat armor red and yellow (MR/lvl blue, HP quints) and have no trouble jungling the first two or three times through. Latter on it gets slow since DBC is not an efficient killing mechanism.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I've noticed the later I play (CST here) the more non english are on my team. I've also noticed that for some reason, these people tend to surrender for no reasons at all, even when winning. Highly annoying.

You are correct though, relaxing this game is not...then again, most competetive games are not relaxing at all. Frustrating and fun at the same time.

I find LoL pretty relaxing. Mechanically it doesn't take much to play. I find Starcraft/2 to be way more stressful to play/

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007

I'm also 'nonenglish'. :) There's a simple solution though, learn Spanish or Portuguese. :) I'm learning Spanish, some of the latin guys (Spanish/Portuguese) are pretty damn good at DOTA games.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
I'm also 'nonenglish'. :) There's a simple solution though, learn Spanish or Portuguese. :) I'm learning Spanish, some of the latin guys (Spanish/Portuguese) are pretty damn good at DOTA games.

i'm really glad i'm fluent in spanish. when i see a horrible team comp underway, it's a great way to force dodges, lol.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Humble- I think Trundle is one of the best jungle gankers.
sshhhhhhh! That's our little secret... mkay?

Is there an AMumu or Nunu guide in here?

In the old thread I have an Amumu guide but I only play tank mumu, not AP mumu and it's geared toward jungling. Basically flat armor red/yellow & MR blue & HP quints. 1/16/13 masteries, flash + smite; cloth armor + 5 hp pots start at blue. Clearing the jungle is easy but somewhat unsafe due to a lack of escape mechanisms. I usually turn the armor into aegis of the legion but anything other than madreds usually makes sense.

Nunu ... just watch theOddOne's guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmc4xsPIcf0
You'll thank me later.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Played with Fenix last night as Annie and had another epiphany...I suck with squishy AP characters. I play too aggressively (as if I were playing an off-tank like Garen) and it just doesn't work for me. Odd that I seem to do decently well with Ashe still.

We played with one of the biggest arses I've seen online in a long time. Guy played Nocturne and heckled us for half the game. Partway through he said he was going to report me for not joining in on a team fight which I didn't join for because their Garen was sitting right next to our tower so I thought it better to play def. Then at the end he says he'll report the other guy from our party who played Maokai. I'm not sure what his rationale was there considering he had the best score on our team...he could have picked out the random Zilean who did almost nothing all game but nope.

Sigh, intelligence, where art thou?

Oct 25, 2006
sshhhhhhh! That's our little secret... mkay?

In the old thread I have an Amumu guide but I only play tank mumu, not AP mumu and it's geared toward jungling. Basically flat armor red/yellow & MR blue & HP quints. 1/16/13 masteries, flash + smite; cloth armor + 5 hp pots start at blue. Clearing the jungle is easy but somewhat unsafe due to a lack of escape mechanisms. I usually turn the armor into aegis of the legion but anything other than madreds usually makes sense.

Nunu ... just watch theOddOne's guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmc4xsPIcf0
You'll thank me later.

It's far from secret tat Trundle is among the top three junglers I would say.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
You'll thank me later.

Nunu is so easy to jungle. I literally just picked him in a Bot match, took my tank runes, and started at blue w/Q and Smite. I think I even messed up the skill order by going two ranks of W instead of another in Q or even E (for a stronger gank in a real match). With 5 pots, I easily had full HP save for the the end of the golem fight.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Don't get me wrong, I didn't say Trundle wasn't a good jungler or a good ganker. He just isn't what I would consider the "BEST" in terms of cream of the crop. He's up there but he lacks a closer move without using a summoner spell and he lacks a hard reliable CC. You need those two as abilities, not summoner spells, to be considered the best ganker type from the jungle. It guarantees that when you go for a gank you don't lose it. Trundle isn't a guaranteed gank because of that lack. Yah pillar DOES help with ganks, but it is hardly full proof. He does decent damage, but he's not the highest damage either of all the pre level 6 jungle viable chars either. This is the same reason I don't list Xin as one of the best gankers despite having a closing ability, a slow, and a hard CC with his knockup. His knockup is not reliable since it only works off the third hit. Which gives the person you are ganking a chance to retaliate with their own CC and/or get away. Xin does have high burst damage though at least. But it's not full proof ganking with even him.

Still he is damn good do to his speed, safety, innate tankiness, and good damage. That and his healing from his passive keeps him going strong. He is a great champ and works well late game as well. He can gank and gank well, but he is just not the best ganker out there.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

LOL you are correct, a few of my buddies on there are Portuguese. Maybe what I said was an overgeneralzation, but I do see it often.

I actually took 4 years of spanish, but that was 20 years ago, and really have not used it since so I remember un poco ;p

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Humble I will clarify. He is a great ganker early. When people don't have boots, his tower kills. My experience against a jungle trundle have all been bad. But only because I always have my lane pushed. Getting away is impossible and you have low hp so trundle wins. Later maybe he isn't nearly as good, but early he is annoying as he'll and gets fed quickly.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Humble I will clarify. He is a great ganker early. When people don't have boots, his tower kills. My experience against a jungle trundle have all been bad. But only because I always have my lane pushed. Getting away is impossible and you have low hp so trundle wins. Later maybe he isn't nearly as good, but early he is annoying as he'll and gets fed quickly.

Naw, any one coming out of a jungle as a jungle char can do well in a gank if the following is set up for them

1) enemies pushed too far forward and away from their tower
2) enemies low life
3) team mates prepared to jump in
4) enemies have already blown their escape abilities/summoner spells and those are on cooldown

With those four conditions met then any gank is going to be pretty much guaranteed regardless. That is the situation you described.

But the problem with trundle is that he by himself he can not stop any escape mechanisms of other champs. People with teleports, either abilities or summoner spells, can and will get around his pillar. Also his pillar doesn't block of a lane completely and can't unlike Anivia's wall. People can still go around it to freedom if they are stopped in some way. That is why he can't be considered one of the "best" gankers. He has to rely on team mates in the lane to do the hard CC for him. He also doesn't have a fast closing move with using Flash himself. Which means people have time to spot him and get away before that pillar can even be laid down properly or in the most ideal fashion. Without those two, he can't be deemed the best ganker.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
played galio for the hell of it (we were team freechamp) and holy shit his ult is awesome. makes for great tower diving too!

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
A couple of other items of note from some interviews:

- Observer mode is coming very soon (only to Custom games first)
- Gold per 10 items are probably going to be nerfed so the gold gain passive is Unique. Not clear on whether that means you just can't stack Philostones (what the nerf is targeted at) or if even having a Philostone and HoG means only a single passive works.
- At least one new map by end of the year.
- Hype about lots of exciting new features to be released in the second half of the year (In game voice? Replays?)

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
played galio for the hell of it (we were team freechamp) and holy shit his ult is awesome. makes for great tower diving too!

I decided I need to rework the team names. ProPlank and ProDinger I'm fine with, but you shall now be Prolio!

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Wow I gotta say drinking just destroys map awareness =) That was an awful corki I played last night. I'm just glad that I had already got my ranked win out of the way and Zirze was playing poppy to carry us.