League of Legends - F2P MOBA (like DOTA) part 2

Page 158 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
in normal...

what wins? to pick champ or to call position? i have always to be fighting with people in champion selection.

i wanna play mid....so as soon as champ selection starts i type: mid
i repeat it just in case someone didnt see it

but then a lot of people just pick a mid, lock in and say "too bad"

or people that pick a mid champ at the same time i call mid but dont pick, and they go like "but i picked first"
and i would normally say "you can play that champ support, the champ doesnt say the position"
and the battle begins.

This is why I try to avoid normal blind pick. I guess it's whoever locks in first. Honestly my computer is now old and by the time that screen loads someone has typed something and usually 2-3 people are locking their champs so who knows. Normal draft like ranked is always about pick order.

Anyway one interesting thing I've noticed is that I played 2 normal (draft) games yesterday and in the second my team had 1 S2 unranked, 1 S2 gold (me) and 3 S2 silver players and was created by 2 random people, Nik, Smashhammer and I queueing up together. In both cases the other team was 100% unranked in S2 but had a full 5 some that queued together. Both games were competitive with us winning them both. My first game was similar but was 4 gold + 1 silver against 3 silver + 2bronze from S2 and we lost. In short organization and voice chat is massively powerful.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
And the ADC analog to the new Tiamat:

Runaan's Hurricane
  • (Ranged Only)
  • +60% Attack Speed
  • Unique Passive: Your basic attacks fire minor bolts at 2 nearby targets, each dealing (50% of Total Attack Damage) physical damage. These apply on hit effects.

So Caitlyn racks up 3 stacks towards headshot, Varus applies Blighted Quiver on everyone hit, or Graves knocks an extra 2 seconds off Quickdraw.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

So Caitlyn racks up 3 stacks towards headshot, Varus applies Blighted Quiver on everyone hit, or Graves knocks an extra 2 seconds off Quickdraw.

do they have a price on it? sounds massively powerful.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005

It's bolts don't crit though. Worth noting. And I'm not sure where it would fit in AD carry builds.

New tiamat sounds awesome though.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008

Guess you didn't read all the commentary about Tiamat's? The splash component is completely disabled for ranged attacks.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
i like that item better for some non-standart ranged champs...

i can see teemo making good use of it. as/onhit teem could use that pretty effectively.

i could see it working on kayle too

p0nd

Apr 18, 2011
i like that item better for some non-standart ranged champs...

i can see teemo making good use of it. as/onhit teem could use that pretty effectively.

i could see it working on kayle too

yeah i can see why they removed ionic spark, combined with this item it would be ridiculous. It will be scary on kog if it applies his %hp dmg.

I like the new direction. The game really needs new items, i hope we can approach the item variety found in dota.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
they are removing ionic spark? lol...now that it was starting to get used in splitpushing tactics

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005

I would, but how long is it? I'm in Costa Rica for a week in the middle of Dec. I'll sign up if you have subs.

On another note, it's fun to watch the pro streams now after the ELO reset. I watched Froggen absolutely crush a couple of solo games yesterday playing Anivia.

edit for VVV: Just checked the page you linked and it says teams can be up to 8 people.

Last edited:

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I would, but how long is it? I'm in Costa Rica for a week in the middle of Dec. I'll sign up if you have subs.

On another note, it's fun to watch the pro streams now after the ELO reset. I watched Froggen absolutely crush a couple of solo games yesterday playing Anivia.

yeah he had a tweet about how poorly he played because he got egged once.

I didn't see anything about subs, I'll ask.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Sneak peak of next champ Nami. A mermaid who will be a support champ.

Nami_Concept_thumb.jpg

Hey folks,

As I’ve been hinting at for a little while now, the next champion is our new support character. While we’ll get to the details on her in the next few days, I wanted to pull back the curtain on what “support champion” means when we set out to create one.

First up, let’s discuss the differences between support characters, and the lane assignment of support – they overlap a lot, but they’re not the same:

• Support characters are defined by being assisters and enablers for their allies – this is the core “support psychology” we want to achieve. Good examples of these characters are Janna, Lulu or Sona.
  • Support as a lane role is any character that can thrive on less gold, and has a strong lane presence – either offensively or defensively. Characters from the previous definition often fit here, but other characters go here a lot. For example: Leona is a tank, but plays the support role in a team. Alistar is a little of both because he’s a great linebacker.

So, with that out of the way: when we talk about a support character (like Nami – the new one!) we mean the first definition. Zyra, while able to play the support role, is not a support champion by these definitions – she’s more like a mage with an off-spec.

So, why should you care about Nami? Let me tell you!
  • She brings a combination of defensive utility (including a way to heal in combat situations!) and offensive “set-up”
  • She’s the water caster that you’ve anticipated for a long time – with a support leaning
  • She’s a regal mermaid – an archetype I think we can agree is a needed addition to the League lineup
  • Her offensive setup features a skillshot-style paradigm, something supports have only really had with Lulu; we wanted to expand a bit
  • While this is the concept art and the final has changed (as all concepts do through development), she’s drawn by the ridiculously talented Gem Lim.

We’ve learned a lot of lessons from our supports, and think Nami shows how we can make a character who satisfies the core support psychology, and is healthy for the game. And with our commitment to developing a variety of champions, you’ll be seeing more supports coming next year – so this is far from the last example of that.

Look for more exact details, including skills and more art, in the upcoming days – and you will be able to check out Nami on the Public Beta Realm soon, too.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
you may want to re-read his post...just sayin' :p

Indeed, long day and I just read ADC and Tiamat and figured someone didn't read all the commentary on it.

The Hurricane thing looks pretty boss for on-hit tanky top Teemo, but apparently they also think so because they're hinting at nerfing the poison damage. Interestingly enough it'd also be a strong item on AP Teemo just for the bolt procs of his poison on a squishy when he's hitting a tanky person in range.

I'm down for a tourney run, one thing I dislike about playing with AT people though (primarily priz, del, mal) is that they all just do 1 role so I'm always stuck in bottom lane. Learn new roles!

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Been watching the streams of the previous season high elo players and they are doing the same thing again as they did last year to make sure they gain elo fast.

Besides starting out at 1600 which means they don't start playing automatically in the bigger pool of dregs of players, they are mostly all duo and side-by-side queuing. Saintvicious is duo with either cop, jackey, or salce. However, whomever he duo's with, the other 2 side by side queue up with him in another duo. Many times, all 4 are on the same team. Which means they will dominate that game for an easy win. If they get split on opposite teams, they take turns at winning/losing. If they don't all get in the same game, it's not that big of a deal since they are still duo'd at least.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
The alternating losing/winning games is an obvious game exploitation (intentionally throwing a game). I'd suggest posting in the LoL forums about it if you have screen capped proof. Not sure if Riot would act on it though. Just sucks for those trying to win a game and half their team throwing because it's their buddies on the other team's turn to win.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
The alternating losing/winning games is an obvious game exploitation (intentionally throwing a game). I'd suggest posting in the LoL forums about it if you have screen capped proof. Not sure if Riot would act on it though. Just sucks for those trying to win a game and half their team throwing because it's their buddies on the other team's turn to win.

It's hard to "prove" even with the screen watching it. They don't exactly talk about it, but all of a suddent seeing Stv making a stupid move that lets Salce kill him looks mighty suspicious. I only watched a few games of it and it's not surprising to see this tactic done. Saw the same thing last season.

It's easier to gain elo fast when you are good, duo with someone that is also good, and try to side-by-side que with another duo you are working with. Also easier when you start at 1600ish rating along with all your friends. StV stopped earlier with 16 wins, 9 losses, and over 1900 elo for the day. When I was 7 wins over losses last season I was no where near that elo score. Even early on.

This season I've made a promise to myself to try to only do ranked solo games from here on out regardless. I'll do occasional bot games when learning new champs or for a quick win of the day IP boost if I need it. Other than that, I'm going to grind out elo in ranked instead of just playing a bunch of normals that really don't seem to mean anything to anyone despite how good a normal elo score I happen to have.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It's hard to "prove" even with the screen watching it. They don't exactly talk about it, but all of a suddent seeing Stv making a stupid move that lets Salce kill him looks mighty suspicious. I only watched a few games of it and it's not surprising to see this tactic done. Saw the same thing last season.

It's easier to gain elo fast when you are good, duo with someone that is also good, and try to side-by-side que with another duo you are working with. Also easier when you start at 1600ish rating along with all your friends. StV stopped earlier with 16 wins, 9 losses, and over 1900 elo for the day. When I was 7 wins over losses last season I was no where near that elo score. Even early on.

This season I've made a promise to myself to try to only do ranked solo games from here on out regardless. I'll do occasional bot games when learning new champs or for a quick win of the day IP boost if I need it. Other than that, I'm going to grind out elo in ranked instead of just playing a bunch of normals that really don't seem to mean anything to anyone despite how good a normal elo score I happen to have.

I was 15 games up in ranked and still below 1200. I personally think that is BS. My ELO loss was due to me queue dodging trolls before they changed the rule that dropped your rank. I never could recover even with a positive W/L ratio.

Not only that my top elo was over 1300 before they did that BS reset right at the end of the season. That was earned during the season, not the previous one, I never even played ranked last season.

This is what tears me about even bothering with ranked anymore. They just throw random major changes out any time they please. Feels like a major waste of time (even if it's just a time wasting game anyway). I took about a 3 week break from LOL toward the end of the season when I realized it was pointless to even try to climb anymore.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I was 15 games up in ranked and still below 1200. I personally think that is BS. My ELO loss was due to me queue dodging trolls before they changed the rule that dropped your rank. I never could recover even with a positive W/L ratio.

Not only that my top elo was over 1300 before they did that BS reset right at the end of the season. That was earned during the season, not the previous one, I never even played ranked last season.

This is what tears me about even bothering with ranked anymore. They just throw random major changes out any time they please. Feels like a major waste of time (even if it's just a time wasting game anyway). I took about a 3 week break from LOL toward the end of the season when I realized it was pointless to even try to climb anymore.

I'm just going to say I'm baffled by your response.
1. Placement games are worth more
2. Duo queueing affects how much elo you gain lose
3. Being slightly higher or lower than the other team affects how much you gain/lose
4. Dodging (as you stated) used to lose you Elo

based on this why would you even mention that you have a positive W/L ratio? It's clearly meaningless (also all ratio's are positive, you meant to say the ratio > 1).

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm just going to say I'm baffled by your response.
1. Placement games are worth more
2. Duo queueing affects how much elo you gain lose
3. Being slightly higher or lower than the other team affects how much you gain/lose
4. Dodging (as you stated) used to lose you Elo

based on this why would you even mention that you have a positive W/L ratio? It's clearly meaningless (also all ratio's are positive, you meant to say the ratio > 1).

Yes, I know that W/L means nothing. That was pretty much the point of the rant (thus the BS). Another words, I don't particularly care for how they figure ELO gains/losses. BTW I rarely duo.

One thing that I noticed that was particularly annoying was people who sit on low #'s of games who are very high ranked. I noticed this with some of the "top" players. -...Like someone who is 19-8 ect who are sitting at 1900+

As you said placement are worth more (even if you duo I think). While their new algorithm about # of wins for matches should help, I also think there should be a rank loss over time for inactive ranked players, granted I guess since they made the change that you keep highest rank rather than active rank people won't be as afraid to keep playing ranked.

p0nd

Apr 18, 2011
I also think there should be a rank loss over time for inactive ranked players, granted I guess since they made the change that you keep highest rank rather than active rank people won't be as afraid to keep playing ranked.

There is - if you go a certain amount of time without playing a ranked game you start to lose 25 elo/week. However what you might be seeing is that the profile shows your highest rank attained in one place and i think in the friends list you can see their actual current rank at the moment.

BTW a ton of new item info was released but i can't link to it from work.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
There is - if you go a certain amount of time without playing a ranked game you start to lose 25 elo/week. However what you might be seeing is that the profile shows your highest rank attained in one place and i think in the friends list you can see their actual current rank at the moment.

Are you sure about that? I know I did a number of ranked games then none for months and when I started again I was still at the same rank (at that time still over 1200) If it really does, I wonder does it stop at any particular time or go all the way to 0?

The #'s I was looking at was the actual LOL ladder before they made the last minute change to ranked games.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005

You have to be over 1400 for Elo decay to kick in.