League of Legends - F2P MOBA (like DOTA) part 2

Page 151 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Punishment is ALWAYS more effective than positive reinforcement.

Depends on the person, some people do respond better to being punished as opposed to being rewarded for the proper behavior. And conversely some people respond better to positive reinforcement as opposed to being punished.

Not to mention that even if honor actually does nothing for you personally, many people care about showing off the amount of honor they have AND that there are rewards incoming for certain milestones in honor. For instance one is a little red badge for having 20+ honorable opponents.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Lies. Punishment is ALWAYS more effective than positive reinforcement. It's just that Honor is visible reinforcement vs reporting which is effectively invisible. So that obviously skews it one way.

Unless there is viewable and out in the open negative reports, honor is barely an actual incentive.

I'm going to have to claim BS here as almost every parenting resource I've ever seen touts positive reinforcement as more effective than negative, though to be fair the actual scientific literature seems to indicate that positive feedback is better for kids while negative feedback works better for adults and teenagers (I would guess post-pubescent kids)

Here's a source that backs me up - http://esciencenews.com/articles/2008/09/25/from.12.years.onward.you.learn.differently

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
No one ever claimed that the presence of the Honor system would somehow improve a player's skill level. It will help make the game less hostile and a more enjoyable experience for everyone. And creating a more friendly atmosphere may help in two major ways:

A) Players may be more receptive of criticism, especially when it's not presented as "you stupid noob/i love you/idiot, you should have done X not Y"

B) Less raging and name calling will lead to less incidents of intentional trolling, playing angry (or "on tilt" as poker players call it), and such.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
The funny thing here is that there are people who beg for honor. They start the game by saying "will give honor points to all, hope you give me too" And then there are others who keep spamming "honor please" at the end game screen. Reminds me of low level beggars at Orgrimmar in WOW.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I haven't seen honor beggars/traders, but it's to be expected for sure. Especially if Honor eventually will get you more substantial rewards like exclusive skins or something. But Riot has said they have controls in place to monitor for trading and have already punished people for it.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
I'm going to have to claim BS here as almost every parenting resource I've ever seen touts positive reinforcement as more effective than negative, though to be fair the actual scientific literature seems to indicate that positive feedback is better for kids while negative feedback works better for adults and teenagers (I would guess post-pubescent kids)

Here's a source that backs me up - http://esciencenews.com/articles/2008/09/25/from.12.years.onward.you.learn.differently

I would disagree that punishment doesn't work better for the short term, I just think it's more damaging to the person receiving it and sends the wrong lesson.

Yeah for young kids, negative reinforcement definitely damages them. You beat your kids you end up like the people that live on the Southside of Chicago, in poverty, a violent mess, probably in the pen. Just looking to make victims out of others later in life.

In LoL we now have both, which I would argue is better than just 1 or the other. A beating for bad actions is good, and a reward for good actions is better.

Oct 25, 2006
Man, AF basically GAVE TA the wins. AF never had any map control ever and stupid decisions like the Lulu that separated off from the group for no reason and graves staying to die like a idiot.

Stuff like that is just, the fuck?

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
i'm pretty sure it was actually TPA just played like the beasts they are and AZF had no answer, the whole championship series is one of the few where I felt like people won games as opposed to teams throwing games.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
Man, AF basically GAVE TA the wins. AF never had any map control ever and stupid decisions like the Lulu that separated off from the group for no reason and graves staying to die like a idiot.

Stuff like that is just, the fuck?

TPA top, mid, and jungle outplayed AZF's counterparts

take away Sona from AZF and TPA's ADC/support started outplaying AZF's

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
the thing with TPA is the versatility of their members allow them to create mismatches freely. 2 games in a row they made this happen by quickly switching to 2 top instead to force the jungle out while their bot just turtle and wait for ganks. AF in the mean while solid but they couldn't react quickly enough to get out of their solo top and mid mold and thus becoming passive the whole game.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
I think AF is just as versatile in switching up their playstyles, and their team coordination is pretty awesome.

Problem is that they let TPA dictate the flow of the games, they were always the ones reacting not the ones initiating the fights and tactics. When you're always forced to be on the backfoot you can't really gain any traction towards a win unless the aggressors screw up pretty badly. And since TPA didn't have any major screw-ups, they could never gain the lead that they needed to turn the games around.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
TPA straight up out played AF all 4 games. Their comp was weak game one, once they straightened that out they steamrolled. Like none of their lanes lost in any of the games, even the first one. Their bot won every game, their mid outfarmed every single game and top managed to stay useful in every game.

TPA didn't do anything special. They read the jungle perfectly, counter ganked and snowballed everything.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Yeah, the match between AF and TPA was a little anti-climactic. I thought AF was absolutely stupid to leave Orianna to Toyz after he decimated them with her in the previous match. Would have been nicer if the matches were more close.

But definitely hand it to Riot. They did an awesome job with the production of the venue. Let's hope that in the future they can find some reliable streaming services because Twitch kept crapping out.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Just won my first ever ranked game. Our Ashe DC'd and we had to play 5v4. I started roaming at lvl 5 and kept owning their bot/top lanes as Karthus. We ended up winning easily.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've been hearing rumors that they are not resetting the ladders, but will be "adjusting" them by 100 or so points. Can't find anything about it though. Not sure I like this idea considering they reset the ladders a month before the "next reset" and completely screwed up my stats.

Honor has already become worthless as well it seems. I went through a period (before honor) where I had no trolls etc, then a period of many of them, then honor kicked in and it slowed down again, but now it's right back up. I stopped even bothering with honor fairly quickly. Unless they are offering cold hard cash (which who knows they might be) the +'s won't last long.

@Zebano, as far as I know there is no way to see your true elo in normals any longer, however I was comparing my "medals" in the profiles which is a definite indicator of where you stand.

Last edited:

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Riot used to include the normal ELO in the data packets and the stat site programs could intercept it. But they patched that out awhile ago. Not sure how reliable those medals are for normal. I've got diamond medals in Takedowns and Wins and a platinum in Monster and Minion Kills. Yet in Ranked I've had a high of 1340 for mid-silver tier.

Last edited:

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
We played a ranked team with Classick from on it Riot last night. Maleficus made sure to bitch him out about the horror of the current state of top lane. So when they overhaul it and fix everything just know to thank Maleficus.