League of Legends - F2P MOBA (like DOTA) part 2

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Patch notes

Code:
New Skins in the Store

Heartseeker Vayne
    Subterranean Nautilus
    Abyssal Nautilus

PVP.net v1.54

Co op versus AI
        Added Ziggs, Master Yi, Nasus, Ezreal, and Nidalee to the bot roster
        Players can now add many more of the Beginner bots to Custom Games
    Spectator
        Major item purchases will now be visually distinguished on the Scoreboard
        Ranked Teams
            Match History and End of Games stats for Ranked Teams are now accessible via the Team Profile
    General
        PVP.net will now wait for 8 seconds after a queue dodge before requeuing

League of Legends v1.0.0.134
Nautilus, the Titan of the Depths

Staggering Blow (Passive) – Nautilus’ first basic attack against a target deals bonus physical damage and immobilizes the opponent briefly. Staggering Blow cannot trigger on the same target more than once every 12 seconds.
    Dredge Line - Nautilus throws his anchor forward. If he hits an enemy, he'll drag himself to his target and his target to him. If he hits terrain, he'll drag himself to the terrain and the cooldown is reduced.
    Titan’s Wrath- Nautilus places a shield on himself that absorbs additional damage based on his maximum health. While the shield is active, Nautilus' attacks deal damage over time to units around him.
    Riptide- Nautilus slams the ground, causing the earth to ripple out in waves. Each wave deals damage and slows the targets hit. This slow decays over time. Multiple waves that hit the same target deal reduced damage.
    Depth Charge(Ultimate) – Nautilus launches a depth charge towards a target that picks up speed as it travels. This charge knocks up all enemies it encounters while traveling and explodes on impact, stunning the target and launching them into the air.

Ahri

Spirit Rush
        The allied ultimate HUD indicator will now remain green until all 3 spell casts are used
        Cooldown between casts increased to 1 second from 0.75
        Cooldown increased to 110/95/80 seconds from 90/80/70

Alistar

Pulverize mana cost reduced to 70/80/90/100/110 from 80/90/100/110/120
    Headbutt mana cost reduced to 70/80/90/100/110 from 70/85/100/115/130
    Triumphant Roar mana cost increased at later ranks to 20/35/50/65/80 from 20/30/40/50/60

Cassiopeia

Fixed a bug where Miasma's slow was not stacking with many other slows in the game
    Noxious Blast ability power ratio reduced to 0.8 from 0.9
    Twin Fang damage reduced to 50/85/120/155/190 from 60/95/130/165/200

Gangplank

Parrley mana cost increased to 50/55/60/65/70 from 40/45/50/55/60
    Raise Morale range reduced to 1200 from 1500

Heimerdinger

Fixed a bug where H28G Evolution Turrets could survive when Heimerdinger died if they were being teleported to

Irelia

Transcendent Blades' allied ultimate HUD indicator will now remain green until all 4 spell casts are used

Kennen

Thundering Shuriken cooldown increased to 8/7/6/5/4 from 7/6/5/4/3

Maokai

Vengeful Maelstrom's allied ultimate HUD indicator will now turn grey as soon as it is cast

Nunu

Fixed a bug where Absolute Zero's slow did not grant assists

Rammus

Defensive Ball Curl armor and magic resist values reduced to 40/60/80/100/120 from 50/75/100/125/150

Riven

Blade of the Exile's allied ultimate HUD indicator will now remain green until the shockwave cast is used

Ryze

Overload mana ratio reduced to 7.5% from 8%

Shen

Ki Strike
        Damage increased to 10-112 (+10% bonus Health) from 10-95 (+8% bonus Health)
        Cooldown is now reduced by 1.5 seconds whenever Shen attacks instead of 2 seconds when being attacked
        Now grants Shen 10/20/30 energy when he Ki Strikes
        Damage now scale correctly with all sources of bonus Health (% health runes, Juggernaut mastery)
        Added a buff timer for Ki Strike's cooldown (like Ziggs' Short Fuse)
    Vorpal Blade
        Energy cost adjusted to 60 from 70/65/60/55/50
        Damage adjusted to 60/105/150/195/240 (+0.6 ability power) from 70/105/140/175/210 (+0.75 ability power)
        Heal effect changed to 6/10/14/18/22 (+2% of Shen's maximum Health) from 18/26/34/42/50
        If Vorpal Blade deals the killing blow, it will now trigger 33% of the heal effect for Shen
        Allied damaging spells can now trigger the heal effect, in addition to attacks (Vorpal Blade cannot trigger itself)
    Feint
        Feint duration increased to 3 seconds from 2.5
        Energy cost reduced to 40 from 45
        Shield amount adjusted to 70/120/170/220/270 (+0.6 ability power) from 50/100/150/200/250 (+0.75 ability power)
        While Feint is active, Ki Strike’s cooldown reduction on hit is increased to 3 seconds from 1.5
    Shadow Dash
        Cooldown reduced to 10/9.5/9/8.5/8 seconds from 10
        Energy cost increased to 120 from 120/115/110/105/100
        Restores 40 energy per champion affected (rather than a flat 50 energy if you affect one)
        Now deals 50/85/120/155/190 damage (+0.5 ability power) to Champions
        Taunt duration adjusted to 1.5 seconds from 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2
        Shadow Dash now grants Shen 50% physical damage reduction from taunted targets
    Stand United
        Channel time increased to 3 seconds from 2.5
        Shield duration reduced to 5 seconds from 7.5
        Shield amount increased to 250/550/850 from 200/475/750

Shyvana

Fixed a bug where Flame Breath could shred the armor of shred-immune units (Dragon, Baron Nashor)
    Dragon's Descent allied ultimate HUD indicator will now go grey immediately after using

Sona

Power Chord damage adjusted to 10 per level from 14 + 9 per level
    Hymn of Valor passive attack damage and ability power aura reduced at earlier ranks to 4/8/12/16/20 from 8/11/14/17/20
    Aria of Perseverance passive armor and magic resist aura reduced at earlier ranks to 3/6/9/12/15 from 7/9/11/13/15
    Song of Celerity passive movement speed aura reduced at earlier ranks to 4/8/12/16/20 from 8/11/14/17/20

Soraka

Improved Soraka's basic attack to be more responsive
    Starcall mana cost adjusted to 20/30/40/50/60 from 35/40/45/50/55
    Astral Blessing mana cost adjusted to 80/110/140/170/200 from 90/110/130/150/170
    Infuse
        No longer affects Soraka when cast on allies and cannot be cast on self
        Ally mana restore increased to 40/80/120/160/200 Mana from 25/50/75/100/125

Talon

Shadow Assault's allied ultimate HUD indicator will now go grey immediately after casting

Vladimir

Crimson Pact will now correctly work with all sources of bonus Health (% health runes, Juggernaut mastery)
    Hemoplague damage amplification reduced to 12% from 14%
    Tides of Blood healing bonus adjusted to 4/5/6/7/8% per rank from 8% at all ranks

Volibear

Fixed a bug where Majestic Roar could reduce minion movement speed to 0

Warwick

Eternal Thirst now deals 3-16 magic damage per stack, and restores an equal amount of health
    Infinite Duress damage changed to 250/335/420 (+2.0 bonus attack damage) from 200/300/400 (+1.67 total attack damage)
    Base attack speed increased to 0.679 from 0.644

Wukong

Cyclone's allied ultimate HUD indicator will now go grey immediately after using
    Fixed a bug where Crushing Blow could reduce the armor of shred-immune units (Dragon, Baron Nashor)

Xerath

Arcane Barrage's allied ultimate HUD indicator will now remain green until all 3 spell casts are used

Zilean

Fixed a bug where Chronoshift could prevent a clone from expiring, allowing them to survive indefinitely until killed

Items

Sight Wards and Vision Wards now have a 0.5 second cooldown
    Hextech Revolver spell vamp reduced to 12% from 15%

General

The disconnect notification will now only be shown to enemy players if a player disconnects and remains disconnected for 5 minutes. The message will continue to be shown without a delay for allied players.
    Heal and Clarity summoner spells will now restore health/mana to the caster even if they are untargetable when the summoner spell is cast (Fizz's Playful/Trickster, Vladimir's Sanguine Pool, Zhonya's Hourglass)
    Baron Nashor can no longer critically strike, but his base damage has been increased 10% to compensate
    Updated Baron Nashor's character stats so that his attack damage reflects how much damage he actually deals
    Kill messages in chat now have team colors and display who was slain
    Added Colorblind colors for Morgana’s spell shield and Spectator pings
    Fixed a bug where some particles would flicker unintentionally
    Fixed a bug where kill indicators were missing golden borders

Co-Op Versus AI

Improved Ashe's use of Enchanted Crystal Arrow on long range targets
    Sivir will no longer get Sanguine Blade on Summoner's Rift
    Changed the disconnect adjustment to remove the Fighter instead of the Tank on Summoner's Rift

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
tldr: nerf everyone, buff shen, add nautilus

best part is the waiting 8 seconds after queue dodges

Seriously had one experience where there was one 'afk-er' during ranked queue and someone would always dodge for everyone else but the afk-er kept requeueing with everyone and no one could safely cancel before it throws you back into a game (basically no downtown between queues) I don't know how many people had to dodge because of that one fscker but at least 3-4 people before I did. I dodged but only because i tried to cancel by alt-f4 quicky after a dodge.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
tldr: nerf everyone, buff shen, add nautilus

best part is the waiting 8 seconds after queue dodges

Seriously had one experience where there was one 'afk-er' during ranked queue and someone would always dodge for everyone else but the afk-er kept requeueing with everyone and no one could safely cancel before it throws you back into a game (basically no downtown between queues) I don't know how many people had to dodge because of that one fscker but at least 3-4 people before I did. I dodged but only because i tried to cancel by alt-f4 quicky after a dodge.

you know that it will make that person dodge just before the game starts? You all cost yourself 10 Elo.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
you know that it will make that person dodge just before the game starts? You all cost yourself 10 Elo.

I had a feeling he was there. I think that the first room grouping we had with him he said 1 sentence and then proceeds to let it random for him every time. So less of an afk-er more of a troll. Either way we couldn't unqueue from this guy.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

The problem is that generally when that happens, it isn't someone actually going afk, it's a bug in the system. It can be highly annoying. I am glad to see they added this. The last time they were having connection problems I went through 10 char selection screens where the first person couldn't connect (different people each time) and rather than anyone dodge, we just kept waiting until the game started and kicked everyone out, then immediately put you back in..was really annoying.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
So I've decided Swain is an amazing pubstomper but man does he chew up the mana reserves fast. He and Zilean are two of my favorite mids but both can go OOM just by farming two waves. If Swain had any real pushing power at all I think he would be god tier. My only problems have come from a Singed that repeatedly flipped people out of my W.

A quick jungle Mundo update of things I've learned
1. Spellvamp quints are amazing because he deals so much damage with his W and Q. I need more rune pages to keep it permanently set up but I've found I can start with boots or armor + ward + pots now. I do miss the movespeed quints but spellvamp is very very nice
2. Wit's end may be better than wriggles. The DPS is comparable, the spellvamp (#1) covers the loss of lifesteal and the extra survive-ability makes ganking mid much easier.
3. For an ultra easy jungle grab attack speed quints instead of the above choices but I don't find them as useful because you end up too low to gank usually (unless you go armor + pots).

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Well I've come to the conclusion again that playing Nasus in solo queues is never a good idea. He's a great champ but requires massive farm for late game to do anything. If your team is failing hardcore and failing early, he's not the type of champ to turn it around for your team even if he's winning the lane. Happened in every game I played last night. I'd go top and be winning the lane. I would get first blood, out CS the other person in lane, and even do well against jungle ganks.

Problem is that the other lanes would just flat out fail. It's so annoying being 2/0/1 early on, but watching bot lane or mid lane lose tower and have 4+ deaths at the 10 minute mark. Then watching the other team send 4 or 5 people top to kill me constantly after that as at that point I'm the only threat on my team.

I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Unless you KNOW your team mates and they are good at holding lanes for 20+ minutes, then playing nasus is stupid. If the game makes it to 30+ or even 40+ minute mark then Nasus is going to steam roll carry harder than anyone else as a champ. He literally insta gibs squishies by that point.

For those wanting the build I use for him...

Tri-force
Aegis
Atmas
Merc Treads
Infinity Edge
Wit's End

I usually get a Philo stone early on though to help with his mana regen, lane sustain, and having a 5 GP/10 item helps for late game. It costs 820 for a philo stone which sells back for 410. At 30 gold per minute so the break even point for the philo stone is 13.6 minutes. Quite double if you are getting the philo stone no later than the 10 minute mark so long as your other lanes are not failing.

The reason I like the above build is because it's very tanky. Should have around 2500 life, and good armor and MR. The damage output is nice as well with atmas for AD and crit percentage, wit's end for attack speed and extra dps, and tri force for all the goodness ir provides. Hitting a massive siphon strike from him is what you are aiming for while still being alive to take a few hits to pull off that Q from him. I've seen 3000+ damage hits from him from his Q.

But again, that is one expensive as hell build. It also takes a long time to get Q farmed up enough for those massive hits. Nothing is funnier though then activating Q, having sheen proc, and then critting as well when Q lands.

As I said though it so annoying trying to get that off though.

I should be picking up Nautilus tonight. He looks like a fun champ from everything I've seen and played against.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Well I've come to the conclusion again that playing Nasus in solo queues is never a good idea. He's a great champ but requires massive farm for late game to do anything. If your team is failing hardcore and failing early, he's not the type of champ to turn it around for your team even if he's winning the lane. Happened in every game I played last night. I'd go top and be winning the lane. I would get first blood, out CS the other person in lane, and even do well against jungle ganks.

Problem is that the other lanes would just flat out fail. It's so annoying being 2/0/1 early on, but watching bot lane or mid lane lose tower and have 4+ deaths at the 10 minute mark. Then watching the other team send 4 or 5 people top to kill me constantly after that as at that point I'm the only threat on my team.

I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Unless you KNOW your team mates and they are good at holding lanes for 20+ minutes, then playing nasus is stupid. If the game makes it to 30+ or even 40+ minute mark then Nasus is going to steam roll carry harder than anyone else as a champ. He literally insta gibs squishies by that point.

For those wanting the build I use for him...

Tri-force
Aegis
Atmas
Merc Treads
Infinity Edge
Wit's End

I usually get a Philo stone early on though to help with his mana regen, lane sustain, and having a 5 GP/10 item helps for late game. It costs 820 for a philo stone which sells back for 410. At 30 gold per minute so the break even point for the philo stone is 13.6 minutes. Quite double if you are getting the philo stone no later than the 10 minute mark so long as your other lanes are not failing.

The reason I like the above build is because it's very tanky. Should have around 2500 life, and good armor and MR. The damage output is nice as well with atmas for AD and crit percentage, wit's end for attack speed and extra dps, and tri force for all the goodness ir provides. Hitting a massive siphon strike from him is what you are aiming for while still being alive to take a few hits to pull off that Q from him. I've seen 3000+ damage hits from him from his Q.

But again, that is one expensive as hell build. It also takes a long time to get Q farmed up enough for those massive hits. Nothing is funnier though then activating Q, having sheen proc, and then critting as well when Q lands.

As I said though it so annoying trying to get that off though.

I should be picking up Nautilus tonight. He looks like a fun champ from everything I've seen and played against.

I don't play a ton of Nasus but I've found the best bet to be P Stone, Sheen and Frozen Heart. The sheen gives you enough of a damage boost that you're not a pushover and the Frozen Heart/Glacial CDR allows you to farm the q faster. When I have no respect for my opponent I'll just skip the sheen and get my q farm on. Of course changes have to be made against a Rumble/Swain/Ryze other magic damage top lane but the basic point is I like CDR on Nasus to get the q farmed faster.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I don't play a ton of Nasus but I've found the best bet to be P Stone, Sheen and Frozen Heart. The sheen gives you enough of a damage boost that you're not a pushover and the Frozen Heart/Glacial CDR allows you to farm the q faster. When I have no respect for my opponent I'll just skip the sheen and get my q farm on. Of course changes have to be made against a Rumble/Swain/Ryze other magic damage top lane but the basic point is I like CDR on Nasus to get the q farmed faster.

Maxed Q only has a cooldown of 3 seconds. If you are playing nasus top, then you need to be stealing the other team's blue from 7 minutes onward for CDR. That's way more effective for farming up his Q.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
Maxed Q only has a cooldown of 3 seconds. If you are playing nasus top, then you need to be stealing the other team's blue from 7 minutes onward for CDR. That's way more effective for farming up his Q.

Provided that the other team's jungler isn't a complete derp, I would imagine that it's pretty hard to steal the enemy blue at 7-13min because Nasus still doesn't do that much damage by that point. Unless you ward and run smite on him or something in order to out-smite the enemy jungler.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Not a big fan of the Nasus build you're running Humble, the damage numbers must be really nice but I've always seen the whole purpose of Nasus just farming up his Q so much is that its his primary source of damage, so the rest of my item build is usually focused on defensive/tanking items since you can still hit them with a decently farmed Q. I've always thought the only real offensive item a Nasus needs is a T-force for midgame damage output and the other stats it gives is nice. Just my opinion.

A build for Nasus I'd go for is:
Trinity Force
Frozen Heart
Mercury Treads
Randuin's Omen
as the core items and Force of Nature/QSS/Banshees/Sunfire depending on what the enemy team is running, you become a tanky bastard and with any decent level of farm on your Q you can still hit the squishier members of their team pretty hard.

Also note that while you can crit while landing the Siphon Strike, the damage bonus itself does not calculate into the crit damage. When you crit with Siphon Strike it is (Base Damage + Siphon Base + Siphon Bonus + T-force/Sheen + Crit damage based off your total AD) or at least this is what it should be (unless they broke their own formula for his damage calculation accidentally).

There's some leaked information on what appears to be the next champion:
http://sotl.clgaming.net/board/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=51
Also some pretty cool looking skins for Urgot, Gragas, and Orianna:
http://leaguecraft.com/news/new-skins-leaked-from-pbe-client-gragas-fiora-urgot-orianna-127.xhtml

Last edited:

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
Yep. Nasus builds to be tanky. He does damage just by existing in team fights. He doesn't need to build it beyond sheen into eventual triforce.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Feel free to add me on the NA servers btw, user name is Mystic Fists. I usually play with a few friends of mine but my hours are a bit weird for them now so if any ATers wanted to game just let me know! (in class atm so can't accept if sent immediately :p)

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
That's just it, the build is tanky. It's massive damage and tanky. Let me break it down for you.

First off what I run is is crit % quints and reds for 14% crit rate. flat armor yellows, and MR/lvl blues. for 14 more armor and 20 something MR at level 18.

With Phage (eventually tri-force) and Aegis plus his naturally decent health base you should reach 2.5K health easily. Which makes the following item useful as well.

Atmas gives you a good chunk of armor, AD from the 2.5K health, and crit %. Aegis is also providing armor as well as MR and AD.

Merc treads and wit's end round out the MR. although Wit's End can be replaced with something else if the other team is more AD heavy instead of AP or balanced.

With an eventual IE (this is my last item to build on him), the DPS output he has becomes insane. He should be around 300+ AD. With a farmed up Q of at least 300+ damage bonus and a high crit percentage chance, his Q will literally insta gib a squishie. I've done it more than a few times in the past.

Really though I like getting at lesat Tri-Force and Aegis as my first two items besides my boots. From there the rest is fluid.

I also must say nasus does take time to build and if your team is losing before you can get rolling there isn't a damn thing nasus can do to turn it around. I played a game with him last night we almost won though, but in the end had our support never there with a couple of clutch team fights that cost us the game.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
So both NikolaeVarius and AT3C were streaming last night... did either of you get any viewers?

On a side note I have to start practicing my last hitting again. Ryze's attack animation combined with low base damage is frustrating. Also Kudos to whoever played Sona in our last game last night. That Sona ult > Xerath Q > Xerath Ult x3 + Garen spin just destroyed the enemy team repeatedly.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I haven't played this in about 3-4 months. I got around to updating and loading it up last night and I noticed I have over 21,000 IP. Any significant changes besides the usual new characters? The last time I played was around when they release Dominion and Xerath.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Friend in Canada wants me to play this. I've got the install done and setup for the NA servers. Will this game lag on 300-400ms? (I'm in Pakistan). Will I get mauled for being a newbie? I've never played MOBA before.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Friend in Canada wants me to play this. I've got the install done and setup for the NA servers. Will this game lag on 300-400ms? (I'm in Pakistan). Will I get mauled for being a newbie? I've never played MOBA before.

You'll probably suffer to some amount due to lag. There are points in the game were the difference in your ability going off now or half a second later could mean life or death. I'd probably be more concerned with the stability of your connection. Dropping from games for a few minutes can be a big setback. And yes, you'll find a lot of no life jerks who will berate you for learning and not knowing how to play like a pro (even though they don't) in your very first game. Just ignore them.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003

You will defintely lag with 300-400 ms. The game is not even acceptable at 100ms. There's too much precise timing required that any significant amount of lag will cause the game to be virtually unplayable. You will die because you won't be able to react in time to do anything and you will be impossible to last hit creeps for gold.

Moba's are worse than FPS's when it comes to lag and how it affects your play.

Oct 25, 2006
You will defintely lag with 300-400 ms. The game is not even acceptable at 100ms. There's too much precise timing required that any significant amount of lag will cause the game to be virtually unplayable. You will die because you won't be able to react in time to do anything and you will be impossible to last hit creeps for gold.

Moba's are worse than FPS's when it comes to lag and how it affects your play.

I play at 120 Ping and I do quite fine...