Layer 2 Failover

sanketgroup

Nov 1, 2016
Hi
How can i setup layer2 failover?
My Network setup:
Distance between Site A and Site B is 2 km. Both sites are connected via wireless link. As a backup line, we also have layer2 fiber link between these two sites.
Primarily I want to transfer all traffic on wireless link only and do not use fiber link at all if wireless link is working well.

Automatically Activate fiber link only if wireless link is down. And when wireless link restored, automatically deactivate fiber link port.

Ether-port A (wireless) needs to continuously ping other side and if no ping reply then activate Ether-port B(Fiber) so all traffic routes without any interference.
When Ether-port A(wireless) ping gets reply, cut off PortB.
If you ask why not to use fiber always when fiber is better then wireless, i says My ISP charges per GB for data traffic. So it is expensive when wireless link is running.

Pls help me how can i resolve this.
Thanx

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Bond the ports in an active\passive failover. Can your switch handle that?

sanketgroup

Nov 1, 2016
my ISP does not allow BPDU across the link.

So what else is possible?
When you say Bond ports in an active/passive failover, which switch support that?
Currently i have Mikrotik at both end. And i can buy new brand if Mikrotik does not work.

Let me know.
Thanx

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Well that's a bummer on the BPDUs but the aggregation is more elegant. A hot standby port basically does not pass traffic unless the condition of the higher priority ports fail. In Ciscospeak this is part of Etherchannel and the mikrotik OS probably has a similar feature but I have not gotten to play with one as extensively so I can't tell you for sure. If you don't require Gig ethernet, there are probably awesome deals on very old Cisco switches that can do this. Middle of the road would be possibly a Gig 2960-S.