Lava's new toy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Pretty cool, I know you've had quite a few video cards over the years. Do you keep them all as a collection, or sell them after you've had your way with them? :p

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I typically sell them while they are still hot but buy them back for pennies on the dollar.

Currently have about 140 highend cards.

Video cards are like rotting food if you hold on to them for too long.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005

Amen, I've been pretty good at getting rid of them at the right time. Usually if you sell a week before a new launch you can buy the next card for only a few bucks more than you sell the old one for.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
At 100% fan speed, what kind of over clock can you achieve?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I typically sell them while they are still hot but buy them back for pennies on the dollar.

Currently have about 140 highend cards.

:thumbsup:

Titan Z has to be a cool card to own as an enthusiast / collector, pretty interesting piece of hardware!

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Shoulda waited for the Titan II ;)

Don't worry. Lava will be posting another new toy thread come Titan II. :D

It's too bad the Titan Z isn't a dual slot card. If it was you could build some serious workstations with 4x GK110 and still having 3x PCIe slots open on a standard ATX board. The three slot width only opens up 1x PCIe against the regular SLI setup.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Early adopters/worshipers of NV who bought Titan Z at $3K must be pretty pissed. Titan Z already dropped to $1,499. Even at that price it's still at least $500 overpriced.

I am surprised NV is taking this long on the GTX990 (dual GTX980s). 980 reference uses less power than a reference GTX680 so making a GTX990 card shouldn't be too hard since GTX690 design/cooler coped just fine with dual 680s. I guess NV is cherry-picking the best 980s and stock piling them ;)

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I don't think that price plays a "main" factor in Lava's purchases. He does it for the love of the tech. That said, I really wish you would take a break from the price performance sermon just for this one thread. That would be great.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Nm. :)

Nice ninja edit. Next time I see it you will have an infraction for a personal attack.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Maybe take your own advice?

You know what? Forget it. Not biting.

...And you need to learn to quit taking the bait from others by ignoring posts attacking you. See that report post button? Use it.

-Rvenger

Will do. Thanks.

Last edited:

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Don't worry. Lava will be posting another new toy thread come Titan II. :D

It's too bad the Titan Z isn't a dual slot card. If it was you could build some serious workstations with 4x GK110 and still having 3x PCIe slots open on a standard ATX board. The three slot width only opens up 1x PCIe against the regular SLI setup.

it's actually a 2.5 slot card. there is a decent gap between it and my 295 x2 in the same rig... wait what? :0

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Early adopters/worshipers of NV who bought Titan Z at $3K must be pretty pissed. Titan Z already dropped to $1,499. Even at that price it's still at least $500 overpriced.

I am surprised NV is taking this long on the GTX990 (dual GTX980s). 980 reference uses less power than a reference GTX680 so making a GTX990 card shouldn't be too hard since GTX690 design/cooler coped just fine with dual 680s. I guess NV is cherry-picking the best 980s and stock piling them ;)

$1500? woah. I would be pissed too if I bought one for retail. Luckily I'm only a cool G into mine

Sep 27, 2014

There have been some serious supply issues this launch, though maybe its just demand. A 990 would be pretty tempting...

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Lava very nice man :D I know you've posted pics before of your collection.

Love to see a compare between 295 and Z; both are insane cards.......:) I figured when you said you got a deal you go it for about a grand :) if that included a waterblock even better.

Which LG is that......is that the 99? I just got 6 of the LG ultrawides 99s for my engineers at work.......pretty damn nice screen got to say :D

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
$1500? woah. I would be pissed too if I bought one for retail. Luckily I'm only a cool G into mine

:thumbsup: A G is a good price, and about what I think it's worth at the moment due to DP features. You are the expert of timing GPU buy/resell points. I think you know that once you are done playing with it in 2 months, you can probably dump it for your purchase price or maybe slightly more and pick it up in 4-5 years as a collector's item for $200-300. :)

It would be interesting to see if NV makes an air cooled 990 based on 690 design, but then goes WC for dual-GM200s. I think NV is going to have to change its strategy for dual flagship GPU when it comes to cooling as I don't see AMD backing off WC dual-GPU cards are how successful of a PR the 295X2 was.

Sep 27, 2014
:thumbsup: A G is a good price, and about what I think it's worth at the moment due to DP features. You are the expert of timing GPU buy/resell points. I think you know that once you are done playing with it in 2 months, you can probably dump it for your purchase price or maybe slightly more and pick it up in 4-5 years as a collector's item for $200-300. :)

It would be interesting to see if NV makes an air cooled 990 based on 690 design, but then goes WC for dual-GM200s. I think NV is going to have to change its strategy for dual flagship GPU when it comes to cooling as I don't see AMD backing off WC dual-GPU cards are how successful of a PR the 295X2 was.

I would love to see the Z put through its paces vs a 295x2... what GPU does the Z use? Its two regular Titans correct?

I would buy a WC dual GPU (hell I would buy a WC single GPU) card... Now a double GM200 would be very tempting!

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Price did include the ek block. The LG widescreen is a 34UM95.

Power consumption wise, The highest (I have seen) my UPS has said is about 565 watts or so. I haven't been monitoring it like crazy but I would imgine the average is a bit under 500 watts total system watts.

I am working on a small benching session between the 2 cards but's kind of tough cause I work and have 2 young kids. I won't leave you guys hanging though