Last year Biden donated $995 to charity....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
This man made over $300,000 last year yet only gave $995 to charity, if I remember correctly we gave a bit more than that last month

Dude buying drugs from Crack Whores isn't charity

You contribute a lot to this forum, thank you.
Well I guess I could be a little more self aggrandizing and braggadocios. Nobody cares how much you give to charity.

Another great post that is on topic (as usual).

My point was to put into perspective how small his donation is.

Feel free to contribute to this thread or any other when you are good and ready :)

..and my point will be to point out to you that there is no point in pointing out the size of his donations due to there being much more to the whole picture.

point point point

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: ebaycj

Dude, I wasn't "arguing" anything. I was just posting my opinion.

You are obviously just looking for an argument, which is lame.

You asked exactly how much I tithed at my church.... you a man of faith clearly were looking for guidence in being a good Christian?

Let's apply your theory to Biden..... I guess he still comes up short?

Well, I was just thinking that if you make ~120k ish, then your tithe would be around $1000.

I was then also thinking that tithing is different than giving to non-church charities, because non-religious people would feel no need at all to tithe.

I was then wondering if Biden is religious at all, and if his church requires (or heavily emphasizes) a tithe from it's members.

But I can see how you might have taken that the wrong way.

I guess my question still remains, how much of your ~1000 was paid to your church vs. other charities ?

I never said that I gave $1000, I said it was more than $995.

Democrats generally are not terribly religious.

How much do you give towards your church or mosk or wherever you go(if you go)?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Mosque. Frankly, I view donations to liberal political groups as the best charity.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: Engineer
Originally posted by: Fern
If he's not willing to donate his own money for good causes, I would like to think he wouldn't be willing to donate our tax dollars either.

Fern

Why would he donate our tax dollars to charities? Bush already talked about giving our tax dollars to faith based charities and that was (and still is) a crock of shit.

I'll say it again...it's his Goddamn money and he can donate it any way he pleases. You people bitch about wanting to keep your money and then bitch about him keeping his. It's his decision and it's not hypocritical.

OK so it is his decision on how much and if he gives money to charity, yet he and his Boss to be want to mandate public service for things such as Peace Corps.
It's ok to not donate to charity but it's ok to force people to do charity work?

No one wants to mandate public service, newb. They AND McCain want to increase funding for Peace Corps and Americorps.

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
So again Bidens religious posture comes up short? I think I brought this up recently and the usual suspects didn't get it. As one does for his faith, one generally does for his community at large.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234

Mosque. Frankly, I view donations to liberal political groups as the best charity.

Oh Lord.

:roll:

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
source
Joe Biden: Universal national service, in military or Peace Corps

Q: Teenage boys must register for selective service at age 18, but not girls. I'm wondering whether this sends the right message about national service, & whether we ought to re-examine how we go about asking young people for their service to the country

A: The answer is yes. In 1988, [we in Congress] not only introduced a bill for mandatory universal service, but you get to pick one of three things: if you chose the army, it's six months; if you chose a domestic Peace Corps, it's two years; if you chose foreign Peace Corps, you only have to do it a year. Everyone man and woman when they get to be eighteen they can chose what they want, but there should be universal service unless there is an extreme physical disability.

What a fucking douchebag.

He wants to make it mandatory that all 18 year olds spend 6 months or up to two years doing national service.

It's an "obligation."

Yet this schmuck made $300K last year and can't give squat to a charity?

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Craig234

That's because you're pathetic, both sides already take enough.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: maluckey
So again Bidens religious posture comes up short? I think I brought this up recently and the usual suspects didn't get it. As one does for his faith, one generally does for his community at large.

Some will never understand this concept.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre
source

Q: Teenage boys must register for selective service at age 18, but not girls. I'm wondering whether this sends the right message about national service, & whether we ought to re-examine how we go about asking young people for their service to the country

A: The answer is yes. In 1988, [we in Congress] not only introduced a bill for mandatory universal service, but you get to pick one of three things: if you chose the army, it's six months; if you chose a domestic Peace Corps, it's two years; if you chose foreign Peace Corps, you only have to do it a year. Everyone man and woman when they get to be eighteen they can chose what they want, but there should be universal service unless there is an extreme physical disability.

He wants to make it mandatory that all 18 year olds spend 6 months or up to two years doing national service.

It's an "obligation."

It's like leading by example...... but different.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Is it really charity if you're getting a tax deduction on it? I mean, come on.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002

You asked exactly how much I tithed at my church.... you a man of faith clearly were looking for guidence in being a good Christian?

Well, I was just thinking that if you make ~120k ish, then your tithe would be around $1000.

I was then also thinking that tithing is different than giving to non-church charities, because non-religious people would feel no need at all to tithe.

I was then wondering if Biden is religious at all, and if his church requires (or heavily emphasizes) a tithe from it's members.

I guess my question still remains, how much of your ~1000 was paid to your church vs. other charities ?

OK first that is what the ~ in front of the 1000 meant. ~1000 = "around" 1000.

Exactly, I know they are not religious. hence why I could understand not donating a whole lot if you are not religious, and therefore not guilt tripped into handing out 10% of your income.

I give exactly $0 to religious institutions each year. I personally do not attend one and therefore see no need to give anything to any of them.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre
source

It's an "obligation."

It's like leading by example...... but different.

They want to make it a requirement to be eligible for their college tuition discount program, whereby students who did a year of service get large $$ discounts at public universities on their undergrad tuition. It makes sense to me. At 18 years old you have more time than money. Might as well trade some time for some money, so you can go to school.

danzig

Oct 9, 1999
This man made over $300,000 last year yet only gave $995 to charity, if I remember correctly we gave a bit more than that last month

Well I guess I could be a little more self aggrandizing and braggadocios. Nobody cares how much you give to charity.

Or how large yours was. A grand a month is a lot to be giving to charity. I guess you feel that's it's important that others know how charitable you are.

BTW do you have to maintain two different households and pay for your kids to go to college like he does?

If I thought it was important I would have said how much I give to charity..... you use big words but your comprehension skill are low.
Ok lets not even talk about your contributions. It's been reported that he has one of the more modest incomes for a long sitting Senator and it's also been reposted that he has to shell out for two households, one in the DC area and one in his home state. On top of that he has to pay for his kids to go to school. $300,000 grand doesn't go as far as you think with those kind of expenses, hell I'm surprised he was able to donate $995. In fact isn't that amount you can claim before it throws up a red flag with the IRS? Hmmm maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that, the next thing you know there'll be a thread about him being a tax cheat.

I suppose if he can't make it on $300,000 he should live more modestly , like many of us here have to. Doesn't he receive around $175 daily per diem while in DC as well ?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: brencat
Originally posted by: ScottyB
The government should take care of its citizens needs, not charities.

Wrong comrade. YOU the individual should take care of your own needs.

I'll change my tune when the efficiency of the gov't in using our tax dollars comes anywhere within 50 percentage points of what a highly efficient religious charity like Catholic Charities and others accomplish.

Catholic Charities does work wonders.

My mother in law was made able to travel to the US after the fall of Saigon thanks to them.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: maluckey

Not doing much towards one's faith does not mean they will do just as little for the community though. There are countless people out there which have little to nothing to do with a faith but help out the community a lot.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: her209
Is it really charity if you're getting a tax deduction on it? I mean, come on.

If you've ever deducted charitable donations on your tax forms, you'd know that the answer is "yes."

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Exactly, I know they are not religious. hence why I could understand not donating a whole lot if you are not religious, and therefore not guilt tripped into handing out 10% of your income.

I give exactly $0 to religious institutions each year. I personally do not attend one and therefore see no need to give anything to any of them.

Plenty of other charities to donate to besides a church.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Or how large yours was. A grand a month is a lot to be giving to charity. I guess you feel that's it's important that others know how charitable you are.

BTW do you have to maintain two different households and pay for your kids to go to college like he does?

If I thought it was important I would have said how much I give to charity..... you use big words but your comprehension skill are low.
Ok lets not even talk about your contributions. It's been reported that he has one of the more modest incomes for a long sitting Senator and it's also been reposted that he has to shell out for two households, one in the DC area and one in his home state. On top of that he has to pay for his kids to go to school. $300,000 grand doesn't go as far as you think with those kind of expenses, hell I'm surprised he was able to donate $995. In fact isn't that amount you can claim before it throws up a red flag with the IRS? Hmmm maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that, the next thing you know there'll be a thread about him being a tax cheat.

According to most of the Dems that man is considered "rich". Are you seriously trying to sell me a line about how bad off some "rich" (at least in the eyes of the Dems) bastard has it because he has kids in school? Guess what, I have kids in school and I make a fraction of what he does. I also gave almost the same amount as he did to charity last year. You can cram the sob story trying to make him look just like me (middle class guy putting kids through school). Whats he in, the top .5% of earners in the entire country? Has he had to switch from the really good Merlot to the good Merlot or something?

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

How much did you donate to all other charities?

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
Not doing much towards one's faith does not mean they will do just as little for the community though. There are countless people out there which have little to nothing to do with a faith but help out the community a lot.

I don't doubt it in the least! What I'm saying is that those who are supposed members of their respective religious communities should speak through actions, not words as far as following the wishes of their community. His actions towards his church community so far has been less than stellar.