Last year Biden donated $995 to charity....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Originally posted by: Engineer
So? It's his money...he can do whatever the hell he wants with it. Same goes for everyone else.

He may be in charge of ours soon, do you think he will be as conservative with our money?
I don't think he'll have much of a say.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Engineer
So? It's his money...he can do whatever the hell he wants with it. Same goes for everyone else.

He may be in charge of ours soon, do you think he will be as conservative with our money?

I really don't know or care. The way the "conservatives" have been with my money, I don't see how he could be worse (or better). I don't think he'll get a say anyway...he doesn't sign the bills and would (if elected) be out of Congress anyway.

Again, it's his money to spend/donate as he pleases.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
This man made over $300,000 last year yet only gave $995 to charity, if I remember correctly we gave a bit more than that last month

Dude buying drugs from Crack Whores isn't charity

You contribute a lot to this forum, thank you.
Well I guess I could be a little more self aggrandizing and braggadocios. Nobody cares how much you give to charity.

Another great post that is on topic (as usual).

My point was to put into perspective how small his donation is.

Feel free to contribute to this thread or any other when you are good and ready :)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
This man made over $300,000 last year yet only gave $995 to charity, if I remember correctly we gave a bit more than that last month

Well I guess I could be a little more self aggrandizing and braggadocios. Nobody cares how much you give to charity.

Or how large yours was. A grand a month is a lot to be giving to charity. I guess you feel that's it's important that others know how charitable you are.

BTW do you have to maintain two different households and pay for your kids to go to college like he does?

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

Or how large yours was. A grand a month is a lot to be giving to charity. I guess you feel that's it's important that others know how charitable you are.

BTW do you have to maintain two different households and pay for your kids to go to college like he does?

If I thought it was important I would have said how much I give to charity..... you use big words but your comprehension skill are low.

BTW you missed my last sentence:

Feel free to contribute to this thread or any other when you are good and ready ;)

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: brencat
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
^So you can keep your money right Scrooge?

Please don't pretend like you give a shit what any politician says or what the issues are. All you care about is your money and which candidate will give you more money. Don't act like you give a shit about religion, we know you don't.

What is wiser -- keeping more of your own money and donating to worthwhile charities of your choice that make use of 92c of every dollar contributed? Or having the govt confiscate more of your money, line their own pockets, and waste it on useless social programs leaving less for you to donate to good charities that really do help people?

Typical liberal B.S. Get out of Starbucks and get a real job so you can accumulate real wealth to donate to needy people.

data that shows government spends the money less effective than charities?

proof and argument that shows how the government spends it's money is better than a charity doing nothing but feeding the poor?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

If I thought it was important I would have said how much I give to charity..... you use big words but your comprehension skill are low.
Ok lets not even talk about your contributions. It's been reported that he has one of the more modest incomes for a long sitting Senator and it's also been reposted that he has to shell out for two households, one in the DC area and one in his home state. On top of that he has to pay for his kids to go to school. $300,000 grand doesn't go as far as you think with those kind of expenses, hell I'm surprised he was able to donate $995. In fact isn't that amount you can claim before it throws up a red flag with the IRS? Hmmm maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that, the next thing you know there'll be a thread about him being a tax cheat.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
and it's also been reposted that he has to shell out for two households, one in the DC area and one in his home state.

We're reading different stuff about Biden then; I keep reading he goes home to Del on the train every night. WTH would he need a DC house then?

Fern

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Biden's also by far the poorest senator and some have reported that he has a negative net worth. What's Palin's excuse?

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Dems seem to think that Biden's relatively modest income as compared with his Congressional colleagues will win him empathy with middle class voters. But the reality is most people don't give a sh*t whether their politicians are dirt poor or filthy rich. Class warfare rarely works as an issue because nearly everyone hopes to be rich someday. It comes down to issues, prior voting history, and perception of character. Sorry to restate the obvious.

lac3513

Sep 9, 2008
Regardless of whether or not you feel the government and not charites should provide for its citizens, the government cannot afford to. The government will spend around $400 billion more than it takes in this year. Even a removal of Iraq war costs and a siginifacant cut in the defense department budget would not close that gap.

As for Senator Biden, I think a person earling $300,000 a year should donate more than $1,000. I make a third that much and donate three times that amount and I feel guilty that I am not giving enough!

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: ScottyB
The government should take care of its citizens needs, not charities.

So you're the guy in the video that's stuck on the escalator?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Yes, it is. Those women are typically poor, and uneducated, and in desperate situations.

Undermine my rationalization more, and I'll see you in personal issues forum mister.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Mani
Biden's also by far the poorest senator and some have reported that he has a negative net worth. What's Palin's excuse?

So Biden can't afford it but we're supposed to. No thanks.

When liberals talk about unwinnable quagmires, they must be talking about this war on poverty.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Wrong comrade. YOU the individual should take care of your own needs.

I'll change my tune when the efficiency of the gov't in using our tax dollars comes anywhere within 50 percentage points of what a highly efficient religious charity like Catholic Charities and others accomplish.

It's not only about 'efficiency'.

For one thing, the government is a hell of a lot more efficient at a lot of what it does than people who fall for corporatist 'cut its budget so we get more money' propaganda think.

For another, the government has a unique ability to reliable raise funds for its programs, and private charities just cannot replace much of what it does.

Private charities are great - as one piece of the solution only.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Ok lets not even talk about your contributions. It's been reported that he has one of the more modest incomes for a long sitting Senator and it's also been reposted that he has to shell out for two households, one in the DC area and one in his home state. On top of that he has to pay for his kids to go to school. $300,000 grand doesn't go as far as you think with those kind of expenses, hell I'm surprised he was able to donate $995. In fact isn't that amount you can claim before it throws up a red flag with the IRS? Hmmm maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that, the next thing you know there'll be a thread about him being a tax cheat.

Then maybe that asshat shouldn't raise taxes on other people making $300 grand?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
If he's not willing to donate his own money for good causes, I would like to think he wouldn't be willing to donate our tax dollars either.

Fern

Taxes come out of his pocket, too.

I'm a lot more willing to pay a fair share of a government program to do good than I am to be one of a few who donate and get a lot less done.

I'd happily pay $100 more in taxes and actually get something done compared to donating money for a small effect.

Governments are uniquely positioned to get a lot of public programs done.

You can't judge the issue by Republican government, who gut the place and steal the silverware, you need to look at FDR (public works, social security), JFK (man on the moon, Medicare), LBJ (poverty rate reduced by one-third in a cut that has continued ever since his changes), etc.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
^So you can keep your money right Scrooge?

Please don't pretend like you give a shit what any politician says or what the issues are. All you care about is your money and which candidate will give you more money. Don't act like you give a shit about religion, we know you don't.

What is wiser -- keeping more of your own money and donating to worthwhile charities of your choice that make use of 92c of every dollar contributed? Or having the govt confiscate more of your money, line their own pockets, and waste it on useless social programs leaving less for you to donate to good charities that really do help people?

Typical liberal B.S. Get out of Starbucks and get a real job so you can accumulate real wealth to donate to needy people.

You brought it up, what's your real job and income and net worth?

If it involves loading q

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Wrong comrade. YOU the individual should take care of your own needs.

I'll change my tune when the efficiency of the gov't in using our tax dollars comes anywhere within 50 percentage points of what a highly efficient religious charity like Catholic Charities and others accomplish.

Government "waste" goes back to the economy. Catholic waste goes to line a castle with gold so the Nazi Pope can sit in luxury and his Bishops can have thrones.

Amazing just how many lefties have such antipathy toward religion. Yet, this is one of the key reasons you continue to lose presidential elections. I hope that trend continues this year too.

It's bad religion we don't like, the kind that preaches lies and hate, and we're hardly going to embrace evil to win elections, that's all you.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: winnar111

When liberals talk about unwinnable quagmires, they must be talking about this war on poverty.

No, liberals win their poverty wars; FDR lowered elder poverty from 90% to 10% with social security. LBJ cut the poverty rate by a third and it's stayed down.

The facts show that the economy does better overall, and is more fairly distributed with its increases, under democrats than Republicans, by a large amount.

The Republican party's real agenda - skip the nonsense fed to the voters - is to represent the interests of the most wealthy, which means less for the rest. And they do well at that.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: winnar111

No, liberals win their wars; FDR switched elder poverty from 90% to 10% with social security. LBJ cut the poverty rate by a third and it's stayed down (no real liberal since).

So tens of trillions of dollars to maintain the same poverty raid among americans ages 18-64, and all while losing the wars in Vietnam and Korea. Great!