Large Increase in Iranian supported attacks against Americans in Iraq

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
We've heard all this before, and when the generals were asked to put up the evidence, they declined...
Actually, during the last round of hearings, Gen P. stated very clearly that the media would "soon" be presented with the evidence we have collected that demonstrates Iran's operations throughout Iraq... whatever "soon" means.

"Soon" means when they actually find evidence, which has yet to come.

And tracking serial numbers back to Iran. LOL. Even gangsta's in the USA know to file off serial numbers. Sounds like "fake evidence" propaganda we heard in the past. Sort of like WMD that Saddam had were traced back to Russia's nuclear and bio chemical labs through serial numbers, right, of course those materials passed through the axis's of evil before landing in Saddams hands, N. Korea, Iran, Syria, who else are the bad boys? Oh yeah, Chavez too!

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Lemon law
The other thing to point out is that Iran could very easily flood Iraq with anti personnel and anti tank missiles that Iran has in abundant supply. And if those ever got in the hands of Iraqi insurgents in large numbers, the US occupation would become untenable in a matter of days or weeks.

Anti-tank missiles don't work on our M1 Abrams tanks. Even our own Javelin missiles aren't able to disable one. Iranian anti-tank missiles wouldn't even scratch the reactive armor.

As always, our lightly armored vehicles (hummers) would be the target.

Jebeelzabub

Mar 7, 2008
Originally posted by: Nebor
The other thing to point out is that Iran could very easily flood Iraq with anti personnel and anti tank missiles that Iran has in abundant supply. And if those ever got in the hands of Iraqi insurgents in large numbers, the US occupation would become untenable in a matter of days or weeks.

Anti-tank missiles don't work on our M1 Abrams tanks. Even our own Javelin missiles aren't able to disable one. Iranian anti-tank missiles wouldn't even scratch the reactive armor.

As always, our lightly armored vehicles (hummers) would be the target.

LOL. Do you think our M1s are better protected than the latest Israeli Merkavas? Hezbollah managed to knock out a fair amount of those with AT weapons from Iran, and there's probably no tank in the world better protected than a Merkava. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't take near the firepower to punch through a tank from the top, side or rear. There's no such think as an invulnerable tank.

As Lemon Law pointed out, it's well within Iran's limited military capability to make things even more miserable for us in Iraq. A few AT missiles in the right hands, a hundred or so man portable SAMs handed out, and U.S. casualties go way up.

I know you're itching to to kill ten or twenty million Iranians with a few well placed nukes, but we can probably accomplish what we want with a few carrots and an occasional stick.

Regards,

Jebeelzabub

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Remove Americans from Iraq. Problem solved.

Remove Iran from the face of the world.

Solves more problems than just this one. :)
My solution is grounded in reality. Yours in lunacy.

Sometimes the two are closer than you think...

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
ok, so the guns were made in Iran = Iran is supporting these attacks against Americans?

Isn't that like saying the mexican police that have been killed by 50-cal weapons made and sold in the US = the US supporting the Mexican drug gangs?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Jebeelzabub

LOL. Do you think our M1s are better protected than the latest Israeli Merkavas?
Jebeelzabub

Nebo specifically said *Anti-tank missiles + Iranian anti-tank missiles* and I think thats true

It's also true alot of Abrams have been taken out with grenades, mines, bombs, snipers, etc

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Orignal Earl

LOL. Do you think our M1s are better protected than the latest Israeli Merkavas?
Jebeelzabub

Nebo specifically said *Anti-tank missiles + Iranian anti-tank missiles* and I think thats true

It's also true alot of Abrams have been taken out with grenades, mines, bombs, snipers, etc

The Abrams fielded in Iraq are the most advanced tanks in the world. No one else has armor like it, not even the Israeli's. There's a popular story of an M1 being immobilized in the field due to a mechanical failure, so the decision was made to disable it. They shot it with a javelin (top down strike) which failed to disable it. Then they placed demolition charges inside the tank, which also failed to disable it. Finally they called in air support which reduced the tank to scrap metal.

The M1 is the best tank in the world. The Javelin is the best hand-held anti-armor weapon in the world. If a Javelin can't disable an M1, nothing the Iranians have can either.

Jebeelzabub

Mar 7, 2008
Originally posted by: Orignal Earl

Jebeelzabub

Hmmm, I didn't catch that difference. But whatever the case, there are anti-tank missiles that can take out an Abrams, from the front, and there are Iranian anti-tank missiles that can take out an Abrams, from the front. There are even RPGs that can punch through the armor on a M1 from the side and rear. I'm also pretty certain that a Javelin (in top-attack mode) would have no problem taking out an Abrams, not to mention that M1s don't use reactive armor, though now I'm nit-picking. So really, I guess what I meant to say was that Nebor was wrong on pretty much every count. :D

Regards,

Jebeelzabub

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
I really hate to interrupt the Palehorse74 self delimited cricket concerto of---<chirp> <chirp>...<chirp> <chirp>

As Palehorse74 suggests there are only two binary conclusions to Iraq. Namely stay the course and win or get out and see all hell break out.

In the limited mind of palehorse74, those may be the only options he can foresee which partially explains why he does not seem to question the totally stupid strategy GWB&co. are using now.

When in fact, different strategies can open up limitless numbers of different options and possible outcomes.

Jesus fucking christ, will one of you armchair liberal generals please tell us what the third option is? You continue to say they exist, but you can't tell us exactly what they are. Just that ours are bad, and we are stupid.

We know our options are bad. We know we're stupid. We need YOU brilliant liberal commanders to help us! PLEASE!

Hey Sparky, what are your options?. You need to put your gun down and stop "pricking" your "librul" voodoo doll to use your keyboard.

Option 1: Bomb the nuclear facilities. Likely to delay the program by a few years, but will strengthen the existing regime, increase anti-American sentiment and terrorism, and further destabilize the region. Iran may mine the straights of Hormuz, resulting in $150 oil and destabilizing the global economy.

Option 2: Increase the sanctions and further expand the coalition against Iran. This will put further pressure on the Iranian government, but may unfortunately result in strengthening of the government as they have an external source to blame, and in any case is unlikely to stop the nuclear program. Iran may then demand, and will receive, significant concessions a la N. Korea when it has nukes.

Many people, included, have advocated a third option:

Extend carrots in the form of influence and regional prestige for meeting specific milestones, and try not to be too patronizing about it, while keeping up the economic pressures.

It is impossible to ameliorate the situation under the mantle of moral absolutism.

By offering Iran carrots, are you trading off short term relief for long term pain? Are you giving the child the candy he demands because you're tired of listening to his whining? Are there lessons to be learned from dealings with Iraq vs N. Korea, or is it still too early to tell? It's impossible to tell.

But there are two things to consider:

1) The course of any action should not be determined based upon its own merits, but rather in comparison to alternative options. What is it that we want, and what are the alternative options for getting there? I don't believe that sanctions will slow down the nuclear program, especially because China and Russia, wary of continued US hegemony and unilateralism, are loathe to fully support it.

2) In any confrontation/negotiation, you do best by understanding your counterpart. Any good salesperson or negotiator knows this. I suggest that the US, by not ever even meeting with the Iranians, is ignoring access to data that could help it understand what the Iranians really want. Is it really the destruction of Israel, as most people believe, or is it increased relevance?. The information is irrelevant only if you believe that a force-only-option will bring about what we want.

One thing that often seems lost on America's leaders, perhaps because of America's national youth and multi-culteralism, is the importance of subtlety and saving face in many other cultures. I don't see it in Iranian culture to lose face, but in a negotiation, its leaders could weave a story of "apparent victory", even if it gives up concessions.

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005

That's not entirely true... unless, of course, your only concern is the loss of American lives.

Do you feel that Iraqi lives are worth less than our own?
I bolded the topic of this thread for you. Enjoy.

Fair enough... but I'd still like to see you make an attempt at answering my question. After all, you and I both know that you support a total and immediate withdrawal from Iraq. So, my question to you is this: Once we do so, will you still care when Iraqis continue dying at the hands of Iranian-back insurgents?

If so, what would you suggest the world community do to stop it from happening?

What's wrong with the Iraqis defending themselves? There's nothing that says we can't arm them on our way out. We remain in place because that's what we planned strategically from the get-go as it's the only way for us to insure Iran doesn't give any Iraqi government crazy ideas like nationalizing their oil.

Iran is a target now just like Iraq was 5 years ago and you can bet your bottom dollar we will find the right piece of propaganda to initiate an attack. It's the freaking plan and to hell with what the US public wants or needs, the Military Industrial Complex needs more war to make more money.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Originally posted by: chucky2
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: chucky2
I hope Iran is weighing the cost/benefit on this one.....things can start getting very ugly for them very quickly if the US finally decides to start sending them messages that we don't appreciate them helping to kill our folks in Iraq (and the Iraqi's, as ph points out)....

Chuck

You have to put it into perspective. Except for having decent manpower, Iran has virtually NO military power when compared to the US. Their military budget is ~$6 billion per year, and at a comparable percentage of GDP as the US' budget which is nearly 100 times that. The bulk of their air power consists of some old F-14's we gave the Shah, most of which no longer work due to a lack of parts. Despite persistent rumors, both the UN IAEA and recent US intelligence say that Iran has no nuclear capability whatsoever.
So they're basically a 98 lb weakling compared to the US big man on campus. And when one of the 98 lb. weaklings starts picking a fight with the BMOC, that should raise eyebrows, not sabers.

I wasn't talking in just terms of their military hardware going up in smoke...industrialized targets, such as gas pipelines, could start encountering strange problems, power grids could meet similiar fate....such are the types of messages sent in international politics.

The Iranians are making their choice, and it's there's to make obviously...but I hope they realize that the consequences depending on who gets elected could be severe for them.

Your analogy works good...however to be more specific, this is the 98 lb. weakling handing out gum for others to stick on the BMOC's convertible top (which he wants to see kept pristine). Sooner or later, BMOC is going to send the 98 lb. weakling a message, and Mr. 98 isn't going to like it much at all...what then? Mr. 98 realizes maybe this isn't so smart, or does he start handing out knives for the convertible top? Or maybe BMOC graduates and there's no problem anymore... Who knows....?

Chuck

The problem with all these theories about dealing with Iran is that it presumes that the current regime will be able to survive its own internal problems. Like Egypt and Saudi Arabia, in the long run, anyone betting the current regime is going to be cashing paychecks in the next decade or so is probably betting on the losing horse.

The racket of Islamic fundamentalism mostly relies upon the promise that the current regimes, from the secular Arab nationalists in Syria and Egypt, to the monarchies of Saudi Arabia, are unable to provide because they are either slaves to Western forces or because of their lack of respect for Islam. Iran, case in point, shows not only the weakness of their promises, but after originally being the most successful example of Islamic fundamentalism securing power, will probably be the first to also fall on its sword.

The question for America is, how quickly can we get out of Dodge, cutting support and military aid for Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Pakistan, And before anyone suggests that this might lead to Islamic fundamentalists taking control, let it be pointed out that the first people arrested in Pakistan's "national emergency" were lawyers not mullahs. If we want to stave off another Shah situation we should stop giving more fodder for Islamic fundamentalists to make a racket about.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
I really hate to interrupt the Palehorse74 self delimited cricket concerto of---<chirp> <chirp>...<chirp> <chirp>

As Palehorse74 suggests there are only two binary conclusions to Iraq. Namely stay the course and win or get out and see all hell break out.

In the limited mind of palehorse74, those may be the only options he can foresee which partially explains why he does not seem to question the totally stupid strategy GWB&co. are using now.

When in fact, different strategies can open up limitless numbers of different options and possible outcomes.

Let's play a round of fill-in-the-blank instead of your usual personal-attacks-without-substance. Feel free to step up and answer the same challenge I presented to jpeyton... anytime... go ahead.

I'm all ears... (eyes? :confused:)

<chirp> <chirp>...<chirp> <chirp>
If your scroll wheel is broken, try the Page Up key.

I never thought for one minute that you'd actually be able to answer the challenge. You haven't articulated a g'damn thing in this thread, or any other.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Jesus fucking christ, will one of you armchair liberal generals please tell us what the third option is? You continue to say they exist, but you can't tell us exactly what they are. Just that ours are bad, and we are stupid.

We know our options are bad. We know we're stupid. We need YOU brilliant liberal commanders to help us! PLEASE!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case you have not missed what I advocate as an armchair general from the countless number of posts I have made on the subject, let me explain it to you once again Nebor.

1. And as #1, we must firmly wrest control from GWB&co. And from a lock step Republican
party who dooms that effort.

2. Then we must allocate the resources necessary to rebuild the Iraqi economy like we did in Germany and Japan. Putting the very people who now tend to be insurgents to work rebuilding the Iraqi infrastructure. And when life gets discernibly better for the average Iraqi, it will definitely beat the Katrina treatment they have now. Meanwhile implementing the policies of datalink7's unit on the local level is the only real way to beat the powers of the Iraqi insurgencies given our troop deficiencies. And working with and not against local social institutions are also a key.

3. We must work with all neighboring countries and especially Iran. And show them that a stable Iraq is in their interests. And also realize they have foreign policy interests of their own we should not dictate to. Just finding common interests is the crucial step forward.

4. In short all the things GWB&co don't understand, have zero interests in trying, and exactly why we are failing now.

Hope that explains it to you.

You may be unpleasantly surprised to learn, when you go to implement your brilliant "plan" there, that each and every one of those items is already being addressed under the current plan. Seriously.

so, IOW, your vote is to "stay the course"? Or perhaps you mean "do the same thing, but with a different Party in charge"...?

ya... this, my friends, is called irony. (or "ironing" in OT ;))

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
I'm sure that there is some Iranian involvement in attacks within Iraq. What strikes me is that there have been increased reports of Iranian involvement by our government to the media to help garner public support for military action against Iran while GW Bush is still in office.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Palehorse74, in case I you missed it, I did advocate my theory of the things I would be doing in Iraq and Afghanistan. Its you who did not answer a thing on this thread.

But you and TLC are becoming birds of a feather as you both claim victory for no discernible reason.

And after the military you are a member of has compiled such a miserable record after six years in Afghanistan and five years in Iraq, the only thing you are long on is brag and excuses and short on results and brains. Incredibly short on results in fact. Incredibly narrow minded on brains.

With all your resources, you can't even prevent the taliban from having the free run of Afghanistan. Or prevent your glorious allies, the Northern alliance, from making Afghanistan the opium cultivation garden of the world.

Palehorse74, you are not part of any solution to problems, you are a handicap and an insult to our troops. And the last person on earth who has any insight into how to succeed.

But I can understand that you might think I have not articulated anything, because you are bound and determined to not listen to anyone but yourself. Most people call that a learning disability. Or insanity when you think you can do the same thing over and over again and somehow get a different result than the total failure you have thus far delivered.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Palehorse74, in case I you missed it, I did advocate my theory of the things I would be doing in Iraq and Afghanistan. Its you who did not answer a thing on this thread.

But you and TLC are becoming birds of a feather as you both claim victory for no discernible reason.

And after the military you are a member of has compiled such a miserable record after six years in Afghanistan and five years in Iraq, the only thing you are long on is brag and excuses and short on results and brains. Incredibly short on results in fact. Incredibly narrow minded on brains.

With all your resources, you can't even prevent the taliban from having the free run of Afghanistan. Or prevent your glorious allies, the Northern alliance, from making Afghanistan the opium cultivation garden of the world.

Palehorse74, you are not part of any solution to problems, you are a handicap and an insult to our troops. And the last person on earth who has any insight into how to succeed.

But I can understand that you might think I have not articulated anything, because you are bound and determined to not listen to anyone but yourself. Most people call that a learning disability. Or insanity when you think you can do the same thing over and over again and somehow get a different result than the total failure you have thus far delivered.

You must have missed my second post where I quite clearly pointed out that your supposed "plan" is no different, at all, from the one we are currently implementing -- sans supposedly "new leadership."

That's OK... I'll give you time to catch up Mr. "Stay the course, but do so, like, different, and stuff...?"

Your uninspired and uninitiated civilian assessments of my own personal worth and performance in the GWOT will be filed appropriately -- that is, in the trash with the rest of the dogshit I scooped up in my backyard yesterday.

GG.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20..._4kCBjdPxo2Fnf6mRX6GMA

Of course, this general is a dirty dirty liar, just itching to invade Iran, so all of his evidence is false, and invalid. Even if the serial numbers do match and the weapons can be traced back to Iran, the insurgents probably stole them from the Iranians while the Iranians were out helping the poor and playing with puppies.

Because if Iran invaded Mexico, put in an occupation government followed by an occupation force, and had an ongoing war with the occupation, all the while with their leaders making statements about how the takeover of Mexico was a key step in a decades-long plan for increasing their role in the region of North America, and labeling Mexico and the US as 'axis of evil' targets with frequent references to threatened military action against the US, the US would not interfere.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Atreus21

Remove Iran from the face of the world.

Solves more problems than just this one. :)

Fuckin' A, man.

Another tough, ignorant, idiot.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234

Of course, this general is a dirty dirty liar, just itching to invade Iran, so all of his evidence is false, and invalid. Even if the serial numbers do match and the weapons can be traced back to Iran, the insurgents probably stole them from the Iranians while the Iranians were out helping the poor and playing with puppies.

Because if Iran invaded Mexico, put in an occupation government followed by an occupation force, and had an ongoing war with the occupation, all the while with their leaders making statements about how the takeover of Mexico was a key step in a decades-long plan for increasing their role in the region of North America, and labeling Mexico and the US as 'axis of evil' targets with frequent references to threatened military action against the US, the US would not interfere.
Oh, we sure would! But, in doing so, we would also be fully aware of, and prepared for, any repercussions that follow -- IOW, such repercussions would be absolutely expected.

That's where your strawman falls apart... back in reality, due to devastating political division within the U.S. itself, Iran actually expects us NOT to respond too drastically to their obvious interference and active involvement in Iraq.

See the difference?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Pardon me palehorse74 for finding your response laughable when you say---You must have missed my second post where I quite clearly pointed out that your supposed "plan" is no different, at all, from the one we are currently implementing -- sans supposedly "new leadership."

Sorry, my understanding is that in the entire six year history of our occupation of Afghanistan, less money has been spent on rebuilding a single thing than we piss away each and every week in Iraq.

Your answer to give them food would be give them a crumb and tell them thats enough for the next 10 years. While you bring them exactly nothing but anarchy.

So your answer is far far far far far far too little to remotely resemble what I advocate.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Oh, we sure would! But, in doing so, we would also be fully aware of, and prepared for, any repercussions that follow -- IOW, such repercussions would be absolutely expected.

That's where your strawman falls apart... back in reality, due to devastating political division within the U.S. itself, Iran actually expects us NOT to respond too drastically to their obvious interference and active involvement in Iraq.

See the difference?

You either are confused in your logic in attempting to substitute some irrelevant issue with 'expected response' for the relevant issue of what the morally right policy is, or you are simply abandoning any pretense to the issue of right and wrong in our policy and advocating 'might makes right'.

You pick.

Let me try to make it even clearer in case you are not clear on the point.

The US *would think they'd be morally right* to interfere in the scenario above, that Iran would be in the wrong. That's an issue of a double standard you have in your position.

It's not as if we're Nazi Germany and go around simply discussing who we will invade without concern for the morality - we have the claim (and the responsibility) for a filter on our policy that we're justified. And when we'd feel justified in the same situation we condemn for Iran, it's time for us to ask some questions about looking for a *consistent set of rules* about the 'right policy' that fit both their and our behavior, instead of the 'when we do it it's ok, and when you do it it's not' rules you seem to like.

BTW, as for the 'devastating political division in the US', I suspect you see that as 'the devastating public opinion not supporting war policies you like'.

You know, that cuts both ways, the 'devastating division' can also be the fact that there are too many on your side, creating an excessive war policy.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Pardon me palehorse74 for finding your response laughable when you say---You must have missed my second post where I quite clearly pointed out that your supposed "plan" is no different, at all, from the one we are currently implementing -- sans supposedly "new leadership."

Sorry, my understanding is that in the entire six year history of our occupation of Afghanistan, less money has been spent on rebuilding a single thing than we piss away each and every week in Iraq.

Your answer to give them food would be give them a crumb and tell them thats enough for the next 10 years. While you bring them exactly nothing but anarchy.

So your answer is far far far far far far too little to remotely resemble what I advocate.
The only difference is you saying that you can essentially do the exact same things, only better... or by spending more money?! :confused:

Last edited:

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

See the difference?

You either are confused in your logic in attempting to substitute some irrelevant issue with 'expected response' for the relevant issue of what the morally right policy is, or you are simply abandoning any pretense to the issue of right and wrong in our policy and advocating 'might makes right'.

You pick.

Let me try to make it even clearer in case you are not clear on the point.

The US *would think they'd be morally right* to interfere in the scenario above, that Iran would be in the wrong. That's an issue of a double standard you have in your position.

It's not as if we're Nazi Germany and go around simply discussing who we will invade without concern for the morality - we have the claim (and the responsibility) for a filter on our policy that we're justified. And when we'd feel justified in the same situation we condemn for Iran, it's time for us to ask some questions about looking for a *consistent set of rules* about the 'right policy' that fit both their and our behavior, instead of the 'when we do it it's ok, and when you do it it's not' rules you seem to like.

BTW, as for the 'devastating political division in the US', I suspect you see that as 'the devastating public opinion not supporting war policies you like'.

You know, that cuts both ways, the 'devastating division' can also be the fact that there are too many on your side, creating an excessive war policy.
I do not belong to any political "side." I'm an Obama supporter who also believe that we need to finish what we started, or better yet, fix what we've broken, in Iraq.

So, while I may regret our ever having gone into Iraq to begin with, I still recognize that we are there now; and I also recognize that Iran's actions are resulting in the deaths of MY friends, so they're simply unacceptable.

Does "might make right"? No, it doesn't. But, at the end of the day, killing MY buddies or fellow citizens makes you my enemy. Period.