Large Increase in Iranian supported attacks against Americans in Iraq

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20..._4kCBjdPxo2Fnf6mRX6GMA

Of course, this general is a dirty dirty liar, just itching to invade Iran, so all of his evidence is false, and invalid. Even if the serial numbers do match and the weapons can be traced back to Iran, the insurgents probably stole them from the Iranians while the Iranians were out helping the poor and playing with puppies.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
One thing is for damn sure. When a project, be it one at work or a war, is going badly and terribly, just increase its scope. It will get better. Make it bigger, chew off more pie.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Sooner or later we will have to take some action in regards to this.
Perhaps between when the Democrats lock up the nomination and the conventions so it doesn't interfere with the Presidential race.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor
Remove Americans from Iraq. Problem solved.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Remove Iran from the face of the world.

Solves more problems than just this one. :)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Iran is a lot like the US. Good people, crappy leadership. Let's be careful what we do unto others lest we be done unto, eh?

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003

My solution is grounded in reality. Yours in lunacy.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

That's not entirely true... unless, of course, your only concern is the loss of American lives.

Do you feel that Iraqi lives are worth less than our own?

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: palehorse74

That's not entirely true... unless, of course, your only concern is the loss of American lives.

I bolded the topic of this thread for you. Enjoy.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I hope Iran is weighing the cost/benefit on this one.....things can start getting very ugly for them very quickly if the US finally decides to start sending them messages that we don't appreciate them helping to kill our folks in Iraq (and the Iraqi's, as ph points out)....

Chuck

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Fair enough... but I'd still like to see you make an attempt at answering my question. After all, you and I both know that you support a total and immediate withdrawal from Iraq. So, my question to you is this: Once we do so, will you still care when Iraqis continue dying at the hands of Iranian-back insurgents?

If so, what would you suggest the world community do to stop it from happening?

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003

Fair enough... but I'd still like to see you make an attempt at answering my question. After all, you and I both know that you support a total and immediate withdrawal from Iraq. So, my question to you is this: Once we do so, will you still care when Iraqis continue dying at the hands of Iranian-back insurgents?

Iraq has an army, right? And they have billions in oil revenue, right? Sounds like a homeland security issue.

Every country has to start somewhere.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Iran learned its lesson when Saddam attacked them and they could not get the arms to defend themselves. Now Iran has a thriving home grown industry capable of producing
light and medium armaments. And like the US, the North Koreans, and many other countries, these arms are sold on the open market. So there may be a big difference if these arms are coming directly from Iran or indirectly by other buyers then selling them to Iraqi insurgents.

But face the facts, there are one hell of a lot of Iranian made arms in Iraq. Plus one hell of a lot of other weapons in Iraq not made by Iran.

And now the Cheney inspired brainfart is to confront Al-Sadr and the Mahdi army in their stronghold of Sadr city as Al-Sadr does all thats humanly possible not to engage in tit for tat violence. Already there have been a sharp increase in skirmishes involving weapons.

Guess what, some of those weapons are Iranian made.

But it falls far short of demonstrating any new Iranian complicity that some US alarmists are trying to drum up. But if they want to force Al-Sadr into calling off the truce largely attributed to the drop of violence largely falsely credited to the surge strategy, Maliki is sure working on it. And we could easily go back to violence levels far far higher than we saw a year ago as all sides use all the weapons they can lay their hands on. As arms merchants from dozens of countries start setting new sales records.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: chucky2
I hope Iran is weighing the cost/benefit on this one.....things can start getting very ugly for them very quickly if the US finally decides to start sending them messages that we don't appreciate them helping to kill our folks in Iraq (and the Iraqi's, as ph points out)....

Chuck

You have to put it into perspective. Except for having decent manpower, Iran has virtually NO military power when compared to the US. Their military budget is ~$6 billion per year, and at a comparable percentage of GDP as the US' budget which is nearly 100 times that. The bulk of their air power consists of some old F-14's we gave the Shah, most of which no longer work due to a lack of parts. Despite persistent rumors, both the UN IAEA and recent US intelligence say that Iran has no nuclear capability whatsoever.
So they're basically a 98 lb weakling compared to the US big man on campus. And when one of the 98 lb. weaklings starts picking a fight with the BMOC, that should raise eyebrows, not sabers.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Iraq has an army, right? And they have billions in oil revenue, right? Sounds like a homeland security issue.

IOW, shit happens right? you wouldn't care...

sick.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

sick.

Why would he care? It seems the Iraqis don't care enough to pull their shit together and run their own country...

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003

sick.
Iraq is able to provide for their own security.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

sick.
Iraq is able to provide for their own security.

Are they? Says who? You?!

If that were the case, nobody would object to withdrawing tomorrow. Unfortunately, that is certainly NOT the case, so we'll stick around for a little while longer -- OR, we could just say "fuck em," and bail out tomorrow -- which seems to be what you're advocating we do... right?

The security forces in Iraq are certainly improving; but, as Gen. Petraeus pointed out, they're not there yet.

So, we could bail and see them get crushed in a flood of blood unlike any other in recent history; or, we can stick it out until they are truly ready to fend off Iran and others who may wish to control them.

What's it going to be?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Fuckin' A, man.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
So, we could bail and see them get crushed in a flood of blood unlike any other in recent history; or, we can stick it out until they are truly ready to fend off Iran and others who may wish to control them.
That's one opinion.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
That's one opinion.

no, it's actually our two options.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: chucky2

Chuck

You have to put it into perspective. Except for having decent manpower, Iran has virtually NO military power when compared to the US. Their military budget is ~$6 billion per year, and at a comparable percentage of GDP as the US' budget which is nearly 100 times that. The bulk of their air power consists of some old F-14's we gave the Shah, most of which no longer work due to a lack of parts. Despite persistent rumors, both the UN IAEA and recent US intelligence say that Iran has no nuclear capability whatsoever.
So they're basically a 98 lb weakling compared to the US big man on campus. And when one of the 98 lb. weaklings starts picking a fight with the BMOC, that should raise eyebrows, not sabers.

I wasn't talking in just terms of their military hardware going up in smoke...industrialized targets, such as gas pipelines, could start encountering strange problems, power grids could meet similiar fate....such are the types of messages sent in international politics.

The Iranians are making their choice, and it's there's to make obviously...but I hope they realize that the consequences depending on who gets elected could be severe for them.

Your analogy works good...however to be more specific, this is the 98 lb. weakling handing out gum for others to stick on the BMOC's convertible top (which he wants to see kept pristine). Sooner or later, BMOC is going to send the 98 lb. weakling a message, and Mr. 98 isn't going to like it much at all...what then? Mr. 98 realizes maybe this isn't so smart, or does he start handing out knives for the convertible top? Or maybe BMOC graduates and there's no problem anymore... Who knows....?

Chuck

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
That's one opinion.

no, it's actually our two options.
According to you.