Lapped my FX-8350, 4.3GHz OC'ed temps lowered by 9°C

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blamblooga

Dec 25, 2013
Warranty was gone the moment I overclocked it, lapped or not.

Incorrect. The processors are intended to be overclocked, as they're unlocked. As long as you don't damage the chip, there's no way for the OEM to know it's been overclocked.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Well if Intel jumps off a bridge...

No wait that's not the right one.

I just assumed IDC was talking about the 8350, with AMD warranty is voided the moment you OC. Intel offers the performance tuning plan, though either way I don't think IDC cares because rich.

Blamblooga

Dec 25, 2013
Well if Intel jumps off a bridge...

No wait that's not the right one.

I just assumed IDC was talking about the 8350, with AMD warranty is voided the moment you OC. Intel offers the performance tuning plan, though either way I don't think IDC cares because rich.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/pib/step2

Reading comprehension goes a long way in life.

Fraud isn't something we approve of 'round here.

What's fraudulent? The processors are UNLOCKED. That entire market buys unlocked processors to, *gasp* overclock. Warranties on AMD are valid unless you damage the chip, doesn't matter if the clock speeds have been increased.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
Whatever happened to Idontcare anyways? The last time he posted was in the beginning of November.

Sep 23, 2013
if it´s not damamged, what will you need the warranty for?

the paperwork states that overclocking voids the warranty,
so that´s that

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Prove it.
If that is what the paperwork says then it does void the warranty!! No need for proof!

Plus lapping a heat sink or a CPU chip has always voided the warranty!

You cannot hide a lapping job if you have to return the CPU.....

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

What's fraudulent? The processors are UNLOCKED. That entire market buys unlocked processors to, *gasp* overclock. Warranties on AMD are valid unless you damage the chip, doesn't matter if the clock speeds have been increased.
That is not true.....sure its common knowledge that over clocking does take place! But the fact remains over clocking most of the time voids the warranty!

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011

So does the ability to find the actual web page you're looking for: http://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/rma/terms/pib

This limited warranty does not cover damages due to external causes, including improper use, problems with electrical power, accident, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing.
I do believe overclocking would fall under "alteration." Case closed.

GreenChile

Sep 4, 2007
So does the ability to find the actual web page you're looking for: http://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/rma/terms/pib

Check this out.
This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.
Well that pretty much voids any enthusiasts CPU right from the start regardless of any OCing. I had no idea.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007

Pretty sure they would just state "improper use" instead, since it's a catch-all from which the consumer has no legal defense whatsoever.

All warranties should be taken as moral contracts instead of legal ones in the USA.

If they don't what to honor the warantee for any reason whatsoever, or even no reason at all, they will, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Anyway, to close it up:

WARNING AMD and ATI processors are intended to be operated only within their associated specifications and factory settings. Operating your AMD or ATI processor outside of specification or in excess of factory settings, including but not limited to overclocking, may damage your processor and/or lead to other problems, including but not limited to, damage to your system components (including your motherboard and components thereon (e.g. memory)), system instabilities (e.g. data loss and corrupted images), shortened processor, system component and/or system life and in extreme cases, total system failure. AMD does not provide support or service for issues or damages related to use of an AMD or ATI processor outside of processor specifications or in excess of factory settings. You may also not receive support or service from your system manufacturer.
DAMAGES CAUSED BY USE OF YOUR AMD OR ATI PROCESSOR OUTSIDE OF SPECIFICATION OR IN EXCESS OF FACTORY SETTINGS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER YOUR AMD PRODUCT WARRANTY AND MAY NOT BE COVERED BY YOUR SYSTEM MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY.
Overclocking voids warranty. As common sense would also state...

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
To reduce the loading effect on the sandpaper, I wet-sand with 220 and 400 grits and dry-sand with the remaining grits (800-3000).

What does this mean? I lapped a Q6600 many years ago and I followed a detailed guide, but I dont remember reading anything like this.

Sep 23, 2013
Prove it.

i don´t have to
i don´t try to return cpus/gpus that i fried when overclocking
(never actually fried one, though)

either you have the guts to gamble with possible loss, or you don´t (it´s part of the thrill :biggrin:)

or you try to sneak it back to the manufacturer, even though it had been "used out of specification..."

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I have little to add here, except to agree there's something less beneficial to lapping with an IB (or Haswell?) chip unless you replace the TIM and get better contact between the IHS and processor.

The benefits (otherwise) in degrees-C vary slightly with the TDP of the processor given its OC'd speed.

While some benefits arise from simply imparting a flat surface to the IHS, I'm inclined to the idea that it is the removal of the nickel-plating that has the greater effect. To get there, you would certain assure a flat surface.

Also, despite efforts here and there to get a mirror polish on the IHS, it's comforting to see the OP holds my position on the matter. Once you've done the finishing with a 600- or 800-grit paper, additional work is wasted.

GreenChile

Sep 4, 2007
It was in my AMD processor warranty documentation.

Overclocking the AMD cpus voids the warrant, and using aftermarket coolers voids it as well.

This shouldn't have even been a discussion...

We can't all be as smart as you Balla. :p
I for one didn't realize using aftermarket coolers would void the warranty. That's virtually all of us, assuming Intel has a similar restriction, which makes warranty arguments a moot point.

Sep 23, 2013
yeah, the cooler thing is crazy,

that one wouldn´t keep me from returning to sender, if a cpu died on me without oc, but better cooler than the stock thing