Landing on the Moon

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
8 people truly think we didn't land on the moon?? :Q

:confused:

Yah, no sh!t... what rock are these people living under (or what tin foil hat)?

If nothing else, the Russians would be able to triangulate where the radio transmissions were coming from. They would have screamed bloody murder if they were coming from Hollywood as opposed to the moon.

So you (those 8 who voted no) are saying that, not only thousands of people in the US (NASA, Military, Government) were involved in this "conspiracy", but also thousands in the Russian government/space program/military?

rolleye.gif

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Originally posted by: VictorLazlo
Originally posted by: teckmaster
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
Flag on the moon. How did it get there?

Prove that it's really there

The astonauts also left a reflector. If you want to prove to yourself that we have been to the moon, just go to an observatory. They can hit this reflector with a laser beam, and have it bounce back. (They use it to measure the distance to the moon, and to measure the speed of light.) If you fire the laser at any other spot on the moon besides the known location of the reflector, it doesn't bounce back.

Any questions?

How do you measure the distance to the moon without knowing the speed of light? How do you measure the speed of light without knowing the distance to the moon? They couldn't possibly measure both, one must be assumed.

It seems to me that you are ASSuming that the speed of light is determined by only using this experiment, when in fact there are other ways in which the speed of light is determined.

teckmaster

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
This has turned into a funny post kind of. Those of you calling me an idiot and such are the ones who fail to believe anything other than what they are told to believe. I like the old saying "Don't believe everything you see or hear". You are the ones who should sit down and think about it. I bet if I made a post about the man on the grassy knowle in the John F. Kennedy assassination, you are the ones who would say "Of course there was", because others have said there probably was and history books tell the same tale.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
This has turned into a funny post kind of. Those of you calling me an idiot and such are the ones who fail to believe anything other than what they are told to believe. I like the old saying "Don't believe everything you see or hear". You are the ones who should sit down and think about it. I bet if I made a post about the man on the grassy knowle in the John F. Kennedy assassination, you are the ones who would say "Of course there was", because others have said there probably was and history books tell the same tale.

You know you can't show any kind of evidence to back up your theories, so you come in here posting things like, hoping to draw our attention away from the fact that you really don't know anything. Instead, this just ends up proving your ignorance.

Good job.

teckmaster

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
yep, ignorance is something everyone suffers from. I didn't really come in here with theories. I came in with questions. Most don't want to think that it might not have happened and the 8 that said no and the 7 that were unsure like to think of other possibilities. Do you believe in aliens? You probably do because there are photos of them and there is a picture of a big crater in the desert saying that, thats where the UFO landed. And can't forget about those crop circles.

failure to believe things on your own other than what the government or others say is right, shows the greatest amount of ignorance

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
yep, ignorance is something everyone suffers from. I didn't really come in here with theories. I came in with questions. Most don't want to think that it might not have happened and the 8 that said no and the 7 that were unsure like to think of other possibilities. Do you believe in aliens? You probably do because there are photos of them and there is a picture of a big crater in the desert saying that, thats where the UFO landed. And can't forget about those crop circles.

failure to believe things on your own other than what the government or others say is right, shows the greatest amount of ignorance

I agree. Who said anyone believed in the moon landing because "the government said so"?

How about because there is "an insane ammount of proof proving that we landed on the moon, not only by government entities but by the scientific community as well."

I never believe "just what the government tells me." And in fact, I never watch TV except for the occasional football game with my buddies. And to do that, I have to go over to someone elses house because I don't bother to set up my TV except to watch movies or play XBox.

But, oh, somehow I am ignorant because I say that we landed on the moon.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001

I think the problem is that you are not being specific. What about the moon-landing do you find questionable?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DBL
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Originally posted by: VictorLazlo
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
Flag on the moon. How did it get there?

Prove that it's really there

The astonauts also left a reflector. If you want to prove to yourself that we have been to the moon, just go to an observatory. They can hit this reflector with a laser beam, and have it bounce back. (They use it to measure the distance to the moon, and to measure the speed of light.) If you fire the laser at any other spot on the moon besides the known location of the reflector, it doesn't bounce back.

Any questions?

How do you measure the distance to the moon without knowing the speed of light? How do you measure the speed of light without knowing the distance to the moon? They couldn't possibly measure both, one must be assumed.

It seems to me that you are ASSuming that the speed of light is determined by only using this experiment, when in fact there are other ways in which the speed of light is determined.

You're correct that I'm assuming it was, because the original post stated that such an experiment was used to determine both.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
I bet if I made a post about the man on the grassy knowle in the John F. Kennedy assassination, you are the ones who would say "Of course there was", because others have said there probably was and history books tell the same tale.

There was a man on the grassy knoll!!!

(Did 3 months worth of research for a law class where I had to defend Lee Harvey Oswald)