Landing on the Moon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: VictorLazlo
The astonauts also left a reflector. If you want to prove to yourself that we have been to the moon, just go to an observatory. They can hit this reflector with a laser beam, and have it bounce back. (They use it to measure the distance to the moon, and to measure the speed of light.) If you fire the laser at any other spot on the moon besides the known location of the reflector, it doesn't bounce back.

Any questions?
To me, this is the best evidence of all that we did in fact go.

Otherwise, why mock the people who doubt? Remember that most of the posters here were born after the Apollo missions had been cancelled. I myself was born a little after Apollo 13, so I never watched the moon landings on TV or anything like that. In fact, my first memories of space flight are of the Space Shuttles beginning in the late 70s/early 80s.
Should individuals believe everything they hear but they themselves have never witnessed? Should we accept as fact everything that we are told by "credible" sources? Should we never question the world as presented to us by "authorities"?
If so, I got a bridge to sell ya...

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: VicShould individuals believe everything they hear but they themselves have never witnessed? Should we accept as fact everything that we are told by "credible" sources? Should we never question the world as presented to us by "authorities"?

I was born after the Crusades, Civil War, WW2, Jack The Ripper, etc... so I never saw those personally either.

Does that mean we shouldn't believe those events happened?

The Moon Landing is one of the best documented occurances in the history of humanity.

To not believe they happened with the evidence staring you in the face is a joke.

Edit-coding

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: bernse
Originally posted by: VicShould individuals believe everything they hear but they themselves have never witnessed? Should we accept as fact everything that we are told by "credible" sources? Should we never question the world as presented to us by "authorities"?

I was born after the Crusades, Civil War, WW2, Jack The Ripper, etc... so I never saw those personally either.

The Moon Landing is one of the best documented occurances in the history of humanity.

To not believe they happened with the evidence staring you in the face is a joke.

Edit-coding

And, add in the HUNDREDS of NASA workers and probably THOUSANDS of employees of military contractors involved and you'd think a few would have leaked any hoax information to the public.

Just go crawl back under your tinfoil hat! :p

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Hopefully one last thing... (although nothing ever seems to convince some people)....

There was literally, tens of thousands of people directly involved with the Apollo Program. Many of these people would have had to have been directly involved in a cover up. You can't keep that big of a secret.

Don't forget the Soviets either. They were directly monitoring communications between the Moon and Earth. If they had even the slightest bit of doubt that it didn't happen, don't you think with the massive resources that they had they would have been able to prove it and embarass the hell out of the USA?

They didn't. Instead, the USSR congratulated the Americans. Something not easily done in the 60s.

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
Just google for it, patboy theres tons of debunking stuff about shadows, etc....
Of course we went to the moon, though comeon. Ive studied and actually held some specimens of moon rocks!!!:cool:

But the big question is why doesnt anyone ever talk about the secrect military bases that exist on the dark side of the moon??:D

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
Hmmm, i believe we made it. I believe we have been back but its not as significant as it was for the first time.

Think, you remember the space shuttle that recently killed all those astronauts, how many of us here knew they were in space or even coming back prior to their shuttle blowing up? Probably very few of us....

I'm sure there are people in space right now, maybe not on the moon, but its a possibility that we just don't know about it.

Why put 'landing on the moon' all over the news if its already been done several times now probably? We only hear about the failed missions, not the successful ones.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Edit-coding
Did I say that I thought we didn't go? No, I said that I think we did go (which you conveniently edited out of your quote of my post
rolleye.gif
).

What I also said is that we should not accept as fact things merely because we are told. In short, think for yourself and research for yourself. Understand for yourself. Obviously the evidence for the moon landing (and all the other occurances you mentioned) is abundant, which is why I don't dispute it (or those others). But I believe in them because I have researched them, not just because someone told me.

Or is that too hard for you to understand?

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Or is that too hard for you to understand?
Are you retarded or something?

I was countering your post of this:
Should individuals believe everything they hear but they themselves have never witnessed? Should we accept as fact everything that we are told by "credible" sources? Should we never question the world as presented to us by "authorities"?

Which is exactly what I quoted.

If you have a problem with that, well, thats your problem.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
we never went. it was a charade played out in hollywood - everyone in the USA was brainwashed by massive military hysteria!!

:p

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Just to understand you Vic, you're not talking about the moon landing anymore (which is what this thread is about before you hijacked it) but everything else in general?

Man, you're going to have an interesting life if you are going to have to "research" everything you see on TV on the news, read in a book or newspaper before you believe it.

Have fun.

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002
Too much effort went into researching and planning to get to the moon for it not to have happened. Nearly every American was rooting for NASA beating the Russians to the moon that they were willing to give every tax dollar they could to the cause. Once we walked and researched the moon 2 or 3 times people lost interest, hence why they were no longing willing to give up their tax dollars for the cause.

Lots of photos from the Apollo 11 mission here

I would really love to see us back on the moon performing research, but I have the feeling private business would have to play a major part in the process.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
I always believed that there was no such thing as a dumb question. Looks like this post (poll) proves that wrong.

:|

Cheers!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Just to understand you Vic, you're not talking about the moon landing anymore (which is what this thread is about before you hijacked it) but everything else in general?

Man, you're going to have an interesting life if you are going to have to "research" everything you see on TV on the news, read in a book or newspaper before you believe it.

Have fun.
Actually no. It's not required that I actually believe everything in the news in order to function or survive in this world. The news media would have you believe that, but I actually make a point of not watching or reading the news and I do more than fine.
Did I hijack the thread? Perhaps, but I simply wanted to address this "tin-foil beanie" issue and how I don't like how it seems to have been expanded to people who so much as question the world around them. There's a difference between being a freethinker and being a paranoid conspiracy theorist yaknow...

editted: minor spelling typo

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Yep, we went. We should be going back also. If we are to get to Mars, the moon is an excellent proving ground for the ships to do so as well as an excellent stepping stone.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: VictorLazlo
Originally posted by: teckmaster
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
Flag on the moon. How did it get there?

Prove that it's really there

The astonauts also left a reflector. If you want to prove to yourself that we have been to the moon, just go to an observatory. They can hit this reflector with a laser beam, and have it bounce back. (They use it to measure the distance to the moon, and to measure the speed of light.) If you fire the laser at any other spot on the moon besides the known location of the reflector, it doesn't bounce back.

Any questions?

How do you measure the distance to the moon without knowing the speed of light? How do you measure the speed of light without knowing the distance to the moon? They couldn't possibly measure both, one must be assumed.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

Have fun.

Bernse, you're right, of course, but a healthy dose of skepticism is not a bad thing, in my opinion.

MikeO

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001

Originally posted by: teckmaster
Did we really do it? If we had the technology back then, why haven't we done it since? Why haven't others done it?

This is a parody thread, right?

No?

Shoot yourself, please.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Here is something I saved a while back for this exact question, which seems to be recycled pretty regularly. It's a point-by-point rebuttal of many of the common myths that hoax believers like to repeat again and again.

Author unknown
Moon Landing Hoax Rebuttal