KOTOR I

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

katank

Jul 18, 2008
Yep. Saving levels is great. You can also use them mid-combat as a way to recover all of your health instantly. Granted, you probably need to level to 4 or so to beat Bendak Starkiller.

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
Yea, my plan is usually to level up to 4 or 5 before becoming a Jedi, because the point's allocation changes, so you don't want to completly hold off, but you also don't want to waste them.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
KOTOR 1 is indeed awesome. I liked it better than KOTOR 2, although the gameplay in KOTOR 2 felt more polished (the only problem was the obviously cut content and rushed ending).

KOTOR 1 easily rivals Fallout for greatest RPG

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: coldmeat
Umm, ok I just started playing this game. One of my roommates has it.

I stopped playing about 15 minutes in.

How is this the best game of the decade? The movement controls suck, using the inventory is a pain in the ass. Battles feel almost turn-based and you can't move when you are fighting. And why does it pause the game when you see an enemy?

I quit playing when my guy wouldn't move. He was just standing there and I could look around, but that was it. I took that as an opportunity to exit the game and never play it again.

Way to immediately give up on one of the greatest games of all time because you're too impatient to learn the controls :p

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
One of the few games I've played to completion in recent times (pretty much the last 10 years have been MP games or dabbling a bit in sp but not finishing the game). Really, really, really good.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: gramboh
One of the few games I've played to completion in recent times (pretty much the last 10 years have been MP games or dabbling a bit in sp but not finishing the game). Really, really, really good.

There were a few games I've been able to play through to the end. This, COD4, COH, HL2, and Doom3. I've never heard of or played Ocarina of Time. Sounds interesting.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: rasczak

There were a few games I've been able to play through to the end. This, COD4, COH, HL2, and Doom3. I've never heard of or played Ocarina of Time. Sounds interesting.

I could never really get into Ocarina Of Time (It's Zelda, FYI). It just always seemed a bit too cartoony for me.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I love KOTOR, simply, it was amazing, and still is, but my favorite part of the game isn't the game-play, nor even the superb dialog, it's the music.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante

I could never really get into Ocarina Of Time (It's Zelda, FYI). It just always seemed a bit too cartoony for me.

Cartoony??? It had the best graphics and art direction of it's time. The graphics were realistic for when it came out.

skyofavalon

Jul 11, 2007
KOTOR is one of the all time greats but I have to give the nod to Vampire The Maquerade :Bloodlines as game of the decade. It beats KOTOR in every catagory.Its a damn shame the next KOTOR is going to be an MMO,a real travesty.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Awesome game, but buggy as hell. Mine would have errors at least 2-3 times per session. One time my character just froze and I had to use an older save game to keep going - very lame.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
Awesome game, but buggy as hell. Mine would have errors at least 2-3 times per session. One time my character just froze and I had to use an older save game to keep going - very lame.

Mine never froze but I just recently played it so it's probably got everything ironed out. I got it in this pack of the 5 best PC Star Wars games

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
Originally posted by: skyofavalon
KOTOR is one of the all time greats but I have to give the nod to Vampire The Maquerade :Bloodlines as game of the decade. It beats KOTOR in every catagory.Its a damn shame the next KOTOR is going to be an MMO,a real travesty.
Did you ever install any of the patches? I've played it at least 5 times, and never had a problem. There were lots of issues with the inital release, but they were all fixed like 3 months later.

lifeobry

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2008
played twice thru once as light and once as dark.

the dark play thru was easier for sure.

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Zenoth
I love KOTOR, simply, it was amazing, and still is, but my favorite part of the game isn't the game-play, nor even the superb dialog, it's the music.

Jeremy Soule owns. Enough said!

I personally love "Taris Upper City", "Bastila Shan", and "Ahto City"

Actually, I REALLY love "Ahto City"!

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: coldmeat
Umm, ok I just started playing this game. One of my roommates has it.

I stopped playing about 15 minutes in.

How is this the best game of the decade? The movement controls suck, using the inventory is a pain in the ass. Battles feel almost turn-based and you can't move when you are fighting. And why does it pause the game when you see an enemy?

I quit playing when my guy wouldn't move. He was just standing there and I could look around, but that was it. I took that as an opportunity to exit the game and never play it again.

FWIW. It *IS* turn based. Kinda. This game is based on a modified Dungeons and Dragons ruleset. It's a roleplaying game. Combat is well animated to make it almost look like an action game.

The game pauses so you can queue up orders to all your teammates. You need to do this once you get further into the game.

The interface sucks because it was made for consoles, too. *shakes fist*

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
im not very impressed either with the controls and UI.

wish there were mods for this like there were nwn.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante

Cartoony??? It had the best graphics and art direction of it's time. The graphics were realistic for when it came out.

The graphics were about on par with what N64 had to offer. The story was godawful though.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Is this a great game even if you're not all that familiar with the Star Wars movies? I've only seen the original Star Wars (ep 4 I guess it would be called?) and Return of the Jedi. This has been probably 15-20+ years ago though.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I started it a few times but could never finish - just found it boring. I might finish this start but it remains to be seen - so far all my game playing time has gone into king bounty :)

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: OCNewbie
Is this a great game even if you're not all that familiar with the Star Wars movies? I've only seen the original Star Wars (ep 4 I guess it would be called?) and Return of the Jedi. This has been probably 15-20+ years ago though.

Yes it's a great game by itself. It's set in a time period millennia before the star wars movies so it has little to do with them. I enjoyed the game thoroughly even being unfamiliar with the SW universe.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: dighn
Originally posted by: OCNewbie

Yes it's a great game by itself. It's set in a time period millennia before the star wars movies so it has little to do with them. I enjoyed the game thoroughly even being unfamiliar with the SW universe.

The only familiarity it has to do with the movies is that it has Jedi/Sith. That's pretty much it. It's a Sci-Fi RPG but a great one.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Good game, not as good as Baldurs Gate 2 or PlaneScape: Torment (Infinity engine games = win), but still very good. I look forward to the KotOR MMORPG, hope it is a success.

I will pick up KotOR II once the KotOR restoration project is finished.

You mean in 2025? :p

Do yourself a favor and go ahead and get KotOR2 and play it. There's no telling when or even if that mod will ever be finished.

Besides, you'll love it. It's like PS:T in space. ;)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
For Reference:
The Radeon X1550 is not enough to play either game properly. Its too slow with any sort of AA or AF and without them it has all kinds of glitches like textures blanking out and constant flickering all over the place. The game is practically unplayable.
Interestingly, a Radeon X800 is more than powerful enough to play it at 1600x1200 with all the details On and with 2xAA and 2 sample AF.

I was recently forced to move from my AGP sckt 754 board into a PCIe sckt AM2 system. I thought a cheap ass modern PCIe card would be good enough. Apparently it is not. So far as sheer, raw processing power is concerned, the X800 is far ahead of the X1550.

Also, the last patch to come out for KOTOR 1 was 1.03 and that fixed a lot of issues with the Radeon 9000 series cards. I guess I may have to build an old, fast system if I want to play games like these again.

EDIT:
New fast system works great too. Finally got my gaming maching running again after hard drive failure. This game looks pretty good on a Radeon 4870. Amazingly I have no graphical corruption either.