Kony 2012, another classic limousine liberal cause with big profits for all involved.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Lets see so far, only 30% of the non profit money actually goes to the victims (if any of it actually reaches them)

Expect the following.

Movie stars like Brad Pitt and angelina jolie jump on board. Check

Trinkets and jewelry go on sale such as those colored rubber bands you can wear on your wrist. Check.

Some kind of concert to help the cause.(think Live Aid) (check??)

U2 will get involved (check??)

Something similar to RED marketing trademark as a stamp of approval for goods and services, where the proceeds go to the non profit (check?)

For example

Bono's anti-poverty foundation ONE is under pressure to explain its finances after it was revealed that only a small percentage of money it raises reaches the needy.
The non-profit organisation set up by the U2 frontman received almost £9.6million in donations in 2008 but handed out only £118,000 to good causes (1.2 per cent).

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-percentage-funds-charity.html#ixzz1odqc9ygh

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Lets see so far, only 30% of the non profit money actually goes to the victims (if any of it actually reaches them)

Expect the following.

Movie stars like Brad Pitt and angelina jolie jump on board. Check

Trinkets and jewelry go on sale such as those colored rubber bands you can wear on your wrist. Check.

Some kind of concert to help the cause.(think Live Aid) (check??)

U2 will get involved (check??)

Something similar to RED marketing trademark as a stamp of approval for goods and services, where the proceeds go to the non profit (check?)

For example

Bono's anti-poverty foundation ONE is under pressure to explain its finances after it was revealed that only a small percentage of money it raises reaches the needy.
The non-profit organisation set up by the U2 frontman received almost £9.6million in donations in 2008 but handed out only £118,000 to good causes (1.2 per cent).

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-percentage-funds-charity.html#ixzz1odqc9ygh

Sounded like a very good cause. It's fine to investigate any charity - you don't do that, you just attack them for basically no basis. That's a pretty evil position.

I don't see a word from you supporting the cause, constructive about how to help the children, only sarcastic, speculative garbage.

On your criticism on Bono, from your own link:

ONE spokesman Oliver Buston has now defended the way the organisation is run, insisting the money is used for promoting its campaign and raising awareness rather than being given straight to those who need help.
He said: 'We don't provide programmes on the ground. We're an advocacy and campaigning organisation.'
Another spokesman in New York today dismissed the notion of lavish salaries being paid to its 120 members of staff and said the organisation was highly efficient in its raising of awareness.

ONE said it took no money from the public and that most of its funding came from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Pretty typical, but thanks for the link.

Pretty typical progressive response from Craig too. We don't actually help needy children, we just take money to tell other people to help needy children. 'Cause while progressives always know best how to spend other people's money, they need all their money for themselves.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

Pretty typical progressive response from Craig too. We don't actually help needy children, we just take money to tell other people to help needy children. 'Cause while progressives always know best how to spend other people's money, they need all their money for themselves.

Huh? There's nothing in the link that says anything the OP claimed, certainly nothing to do with liberals. The most charitable and demanding foundation in the world (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation) funds it. Not to mention Craig said nothing you just wrote, you literally made that up.

Must be a slow right-wing news day.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Huh? There's nothing in the link that says anything the OP claimed, certainly nothing to do with liberals. The most charitable and demanding foundation in the world (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation) funds it. Not to mention Craig said nothing you just wrote, you literally made that up.

From the article headline:
"Bono's ONE foundation under fire for giving little over 1% of funds to charity"
I'm assuming that you're doubting that Bono is a liberal. Or perhaps you've missed the myriad stories of celebrity "charities" doing the same thing? Perhaps you've missed that the vast majority of celebrities are liberals?

As to what Craig said, he posted a quote defending the SPOS charity with its spokesman stating "We don't provide programmes on the ground. We're an advocacy and campaigning organisation." I said of them "We don't actually help needy children, we just take money to tell other people to help needy children." If you honestly can't see the equivalency . . .

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Typical for a liberals. It's the idea that matters so much, the results are secondary or not important at all.

This is typical of folks who *know* best.

It's just a different vision than how most conservatives view things.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Bomb the SHIT out of this place and start some democracy there. This is not really a partisan issue, both parties should be extremely happy that there is some positive military sentiment. Why start unpopular wars when you can start popular ones?

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Looks like the Concerts are coming "APRIL 19TH: RB LIVE KONY 2012 AWARENESS CONCERT, HELP CHANGE THE WORLD."

Merchandising coming on strong, even the standard Peace symbol now making its debut. Cash registers a ringing, black children in africa a dying. Yeah I am a big Cynic, I have seen this before.

And of course..
http://www.eonline.com/news/kony_2012_george_clooney_angelina_jolie/299424

stop_kony_2012_tshirt.jpg

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
heaven forbid someone try to do something good

Hey, good thing I ran into you today. I'm starting a charity to feed hungry orphans in some country you've never heard of.

Just send cash. Don't worry about how I'm spending the money, at least I'm trying to do something good.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Looks like the Concerts are coming "APRIL 19TH: RB LIVE KONY 2012 AWARENESS CONCERT, HELP CHANGE THE WORLD."

Merchandising coming on strong, even the standard Peace symbol now making its debut. Cash registers a ringing, black children in africa a dying. Yeah I am a big Cynic, I have seen this before.

And of course..
http://www.eonline.com/news/kony_2012_george_clooney_angelina_jolie/299424

stop_kony_2012_tshirt.jpg

I'm sure one of the definitions of cynic is a synonym for 'ass'.

A certain type of ass likes to use the word 'cynic' to make it sound better.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
The fucks are annoying. "RAISE AWARENESS!" They spent millions of dollars to do this bullshit, they could have paid those millions to a fucking mercenary squad and had Kony wiped out in his night sleep. Fucking bitches, hell they could have bought arms themselves and took action. Nope, just bitch for others to fight the fights you're to much of a vageen to fight yourself. Waah.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Werepossum summed it up quite accurately.

I haven't seen this bit quoted yet:

The figures published by the New York Post also show that £5.1million went towards paying salaries.

By any measure, that's pathetic.

I can't recall the name(s) now, but there are orgs that track and report stats like what percentage of donations are actually expended for the stated purpose. I think it a good idea to familiarize one's self with that information before donating.

Edit: Forgot to say that I'm pleased the newspaper is 'raising awareness' too.

Fern

jruchko

May 5, 2010
The bigger issue IMO is that they fund the Uganda Government which has killed more people then Kony himself. Lets not forget Kony also hasn't operated in Uganda for a few years at least.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The fucks are annoying. "RAISE AWARENESS!" They spent millions of dollars to do this bullshit, they could have paid those millions to a fucking mercenary squad and had Kony wiped out in his night sleep. Fucking bitches, hell they could have bought arms themselves and took action. Nope, just bitch for others to fight the fights you're to much of a vageen to fight yourself. Waah.

What could you possibly be basing this on? You think that the LRA can be dispersed with just a couple million dollars? lol.

While I'm not at all a fan of this kind of activism, the rage at 'libruls' here is pretty misplaced and pretty telling. I never get tired of hearing the delusional ideas of what the ultra right thinks about liberal minded people.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Kony is pseudo religious scum, which is apparently why the American Right will go to some lengths to discredit his detractors...

It's clear that the international community will do little to eradicate the LRA without prodding from their constituencies, so raising awareness to achieve that is clearly a step in the right direction.

Otherwise, yeh- slow outrage day for the addicted wingnuts who're gulping down the equivalent of codeine cough syrup instead of the big jolt of the good stuff they crave...

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
I see no downside it promotes awareness, very effectively, once the video was released it was no longer in the domain of the charity it was in the public domain.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
What could you possibly be basing this on? You think that the LRA can be dispersed with just a couple million dollars? lol.

While I'm not at all a fan of this kind of activism, the rage at 'libruls' here is pretty misplaced and pretty telling. I never get tired of hearing the delusional ideas of what the ultra right thinks about liberal minded people.

I'm sure BFDD has an excellent K-D ratio in CoD, which makes him an expert in the field.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005

If its so easy to assassinate kony why dont you raise the funds on that premise and get it done.