Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That particular model helicopter is one of the safest, it's had two accidents between 2006 and 2018. One was a rotor failure , the other one was from a bird strike.
This is more and more looking like a case of CFIT, Controlled Flight Into Terrain.
The appearance of the wreckage and the crash site indicated a high rate of speed.
Visibility was low that morning, LA County Sheriff's Department helicopters were grounded.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That particular model helicopter is one of the safest, it's had two accidents between 2006 and 2018. One was a rotor failure , the other one was from a bird strike.
This is more and more looking like a case of CFIT, Controlled Flight Into Terrain.
The appearance of the wreckage and the crash site indicated a high rate of speed.
Visibility was low that morning, LA County Sheriff's Department helicopters were grounded.
There was an aviation expert on the sports radio show I listen to daily and he was saying exactly this as well.

While he said it's still too early to know for sure, it looked like they flew up into the clouds and was whiteout conditions, and while in the clouds the elevation started to get higher and higher. And then due to whiteout they probably decided to just go down below the cloud cover thinking it was still fine since they had just gone up, however the elevation had quickly gotten higher and they hit the mountain. He also said the things max speed was about 180mph and they were probably traveling close to that at the point of impact.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
In the aviation business we call those clouds Cumulus Granitus. The only safe way out of clouds in mountainous terrain is the climb doing 180 (in the proper direction!) and contacting the controllers for an IFR clearance. Most dead pilots choose to try and figure their way out of it :(
They do so because getting a pop up IFR like that is considered a fuckup. I had to do it once, and the weather got even worse after I did so. It really dropped in the bucket in the course of a 15 minute flight, way below the forecast conditions.

Reactions: Linux23

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That was way out of line, just like saying rape deserves a death sentence.

Nov 8, 2012
There was an accusation. The case was dropped because the accuser was unwilling to testify.

Those are my thoughts.

No silly little boy. There was a criminal case that was dropped by the state because she wouldn't testify.

There was a civil case that settled for approx. $2.5m

Even after the criminal case he released this statement:

Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

Reactions: dank69

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
No silly little boy. There was a criminal case that was dropped by the state because she wouldn't testify.

Since you brought the subject up why don't you give us your opinion and thoughts?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

My thoughts, since you asked, are that what you're doing here is just as much in poor taste as the people saying 'good riddance.'

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Since you brought the subject up why don't you give us your opinion and thoughts?
Sad for everyone else involved. Not going to shed a tear for him. Not saying he deserved it, but no sympathy from me for rich fucks who abuse the powerless.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
In the aviation business we call those clouds Cumulus Granitus. The only safe way out of clouds in mountainous terrain is the climb doing 180 (in the proper direction!) and contacting the controllers for an IFR clearance. Most dead pilots choose to try and figure their way out of it :(
They do so because getting a pop up IFR like that is considered a fuckup. I had to do it once, and the weather got even worse after I did so. It really dropped in the bucket in the course of a 15 minute flight, way below the forecast conditions.
isn't there any onboard radar to help with flying through clouds over various terrain?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
isn't there any onboard radar to help with flying through clouds over various terrain?
He was choosing to fly really low, it is a typical helicopter ploy to try and fly in visual contact with the ground and just below the clouds. Float plane pilots in Alaska do that too. He was flying under special VFR conditions, one mile of visibility and clear of clouds. In truth those numbers only apply to fixed-wing aircraft. In helicopters, there is no minimum flight visibility requirement, or a requirement for an IFR-equipped aircraft or an IFR-rated pilot in command.

There's no system that can adequately protect you when you're that low and fast.
The helicopter pilots that make it through low conditions like that are usually flying pretty slowly and as the visibility and ceiling get lower they end up either turning around, still in contact with the ground and retrace their path back to good visibility, or worst case scenario make an unplanned precautionary landing.
Same thing goes for float plane pilots they only do it over the water so that if everything completely goes in the bucket they can touch down under control. It's not really a fun time for the pilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Linux23

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

U must have short eyeballs or serious reading comprehension skill deficits. I acknowledged first point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

That kind of wording is always there in a settlement. It's part of the deal because the accuser wants that wording to absolve them of any future accusations that they fabricated it (even in cases that may have been fabricated). Same as when a class action lawsuit ends with a settlement agreement where the defendant admits no fault or wrong doing.