Knife afficionados, I need some info

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Muela Jabali with an olive wood handle. Its a bit fancy and its a nice knife. Ticks all the boxes in the OP.

muela-jabali-knives041.jpg

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Pic of my knife with my Springfield Armory TRP 1911. It's a heavy gun but really a great shooter. It came with two sets of grips, one wood and the G10 grips seen here. It had the wood grips fit when I bought it but I changed them out for the G10 which I think suits the gun better anyway.

20200702_101145.jpg

Reactions: gill77 and Paladin3

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Blade is made of one piece of CPM S35VN steel and it is sharp. It will keel!

View attachment 24734

How do you people remember shit like that. I watch forged in fire pretty much religiously and off the top of my head I can remember maybe 2 alloys - W40 and 1080? Not even sure that's right.

Nice shout out for Doug. Did you notice that for a while he started pronouncing that correctly. But I guess people loved that tag line so much that he went back to using his accent.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Pic of my knife with my Springfield Armory TRP 1911. It's a heavy gun but really a great shooter. It came with two sets of grips, one wood and the G10 grips seen here. It had the wood grips fit when I bought it but I changed them out for the G10 which I think suits the gun better anyway.

View attachment 24748

Pretty.

I usually just change my grips out to black rubber.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
How do you people remember shit like that. I watch forged in fire pretty much religiously and off the top of my head I can remember maybe 2 alloys - W40 and 1080? Not even sure that's right.

Nice shout out for Doug. Did you notice that for a while he started pronouncing that correctly. But I guess people loved that tag line so much that he went back to using his accent.

I'll be honest, I had to look it up. ;) I figured someone might ask.

I could watch Forged in Fire for hours.

index.jpeg

Reactions: Charmonium

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Pretty.

I usually just change my grips out to black rubber.

It came with two sets of grips and I liked these better so that is what has been on the gun since I bought it. G10 is amazing stuff and makes a nice set of grips. I bought some for my SIG P220 too.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
My Knife.jpg

A present from my brother, one of my more unique knives. Like something a Klingon would use.

Reactions: gill77

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Yes they are all razor sharp. Here it is in the sheath, which they did a good job with too I think.

0Knifey.jpg

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Yes they are all razor sharp. Here it is in the sheath, which they did a good job with too I think.

View attachment 24853

It does look really nice, those Klingons don't skimp on their knives :)

I doubt that I would ever buy one, but it does bring me joy for some reason. Must be channeling my inner Worf.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Yeah, I don't know what it is but if anyone wants to give me a present I'll love, just give me pocket knife or a watch, doesn't matter how crappy it is.

Reactions: lxskllr

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I need to have a nice custom western holster made to carry at least one of my Colt Single Action Army revolvers.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah, I don't know what it is but if anyone wants to give me a present I'll love, just give me pocket knife or a watch, doesn't matter how crappy it is.
the first time you try to do any work with a dollar store knife you will understand how ridiculous that statement is.
same goes if you try to get thru a day with a dollar store watch.

Of course, spending thousands of dollars on such tools is also unnecessary. You really don't get much more benefit after a certain price point, then you're just bragging about how you can piss away money like Paris Hilton.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
the first time you try to do any work with a dollar store knife you will understand how ridiculous that statement is.

Of course, spending thousands of dollars on such tools is also unnecessary. You really don't get much more benefit after a certain price point, then you're just bragging about how you can piss away money like Paris Hilton.

There is quality and value in something like a Rolex watch. You aren’t pissing away money when you buy something like that. A friend of mine bought a Rolex 20 years ago and he could sell it today for more than he paid for it... this is especially true of the most iconic Rolex watches, if you can even get one that is.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
There is quality and value in something like a Rolex watch. You aren’t pissing away money when you buy something like that. A friend of mine bought a Rolex 20 years ago and he could sell it today for more than he paid for it... this is especially true of the most iconic Rolex watches, if you can even get one that is.
I think his point is that theres no point in buying a Rolex if all you want is something that will tell the time well and be reliable. You could buy a Casio for £10 that would do the job of telling the time as well as a Rolex.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001

WTF dude, you totally missed my point. My point was that for a present from anyone who knows me personally, that it doesn't have to be an expensive knife or watch. It just goes into my collection whether it's expensive or crappy regardless. I will never use it. I just like those kind of items since I was a kid and don't "work" with those things. They are collectables only, and I have both cheap and expensive that I "collect" as a hobby, it's the thought anyway.

I don't know who pissed in your corn flakes yesterday. People are so sensitive these days you can't discuss or share anything anymore.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
WTF dude, you totally missed my point. My point was that for a present from anyone who knows me personally, that it doesn't have to be an expensive knife or watch. It just goes into my collection whether it's expensive or crappy regardless. I will never use it. I just like those kind of items since I was a kid and don't "work" with those things. They are collectables only, and I have both cheap and expensive that I "collect" as a hobby, it's the thought anyway.

I don't know who pissed in your corn flakes yesterday. People are so sensitive these days you can't discuss or share anything anymore.

I started getting into cowboy guns a couple years ago and I now have a few of them in my collection. One of them I will never shoot as it is a beautiful master engraved Colt. It would only lose value if I shoot it and I have one other Colt in exactly the same configuration but not engraved that I do shoot so there is no problem in my mind with not shooting it.

For the most part though I am not a collector. I like to use my toys. I have a nice Rolex I bought new a few years ago and I wear it daily. I’ve taken it in the ocean and I use it. It’s a tool and I want to enjoy it. That is what it was made for. I don’t care what people think of it, I love the fact that it is a precision mechanical time piece that never needs batteries. I can wear it for the rest of my life and it will tell time reasonably accurately for as long as I will live.

I bought an old key wound ships bell clock recently that I absolutely love. I just love the precision of these devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrumpyMan

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
glad I bought a Twitch I when they were still available. Nobody seems to have them in stock any more.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I think his point is that theres no point in buying a Rolex if all you want is something that will tell the time well and be reliable. You could buy a Casio for £10 that would do the job of telling the time as well as a Rolex.

Actually, a $10 Casio would be more accurate over a period of a couple months than a $35,000 Rolex. Rolex is a luxury brand and their watches have self-winding mechanical movements that are very precise and expensive to produce compared to a quartz watch. They are not as accurate as a cheap quartz watch movement but that really isn’t the point. They are accurate enough for what they are... which is expensive wrist jewelry.

Rolex also uses expensive materials like real gold, platinum and high quality diamonds in their watch cases, bracelets, bezels and dials. Rolex watch production is entirely in house too, they outsource nothing. You can’t really compare a mass-produced plastic watch that sells for $10 to a handmade Swiss watch like a Rolex... well, other than strictly for timekeeping ability anyway. ;)

I like the fact that they are mechanical and never need batteries or winding so long as you wear it daily. It is a marvelous piece of engineering. Plus, I never tire of watching that second hand sweep smoothly around the face of the watch.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

View attachment 24748

Love my full rail version, still the favorite of all my sidearms. Not the best thing to carry compared to subcompacts sure, but it runs like a Glock and my groups shrink a lot compared to a 30sf. 2" of extra barrel though I guess, significant weight difference also. I run Wilsons and Chips, never had issue with either. Anyway hey, what knife is that?