Knee defender device caused a fight on NJ to CO flight.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 6, 2007
The world would be a better place if a small fraction of the buttons that reclined airplane seats were replaced with ejector seat triggers. Not too many; just enough to make people think twice. Is it worth a one percent chance of getting dropped out of this aircraft for three additional inches of comfort?

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
Does anyone notice how the argument is now in the consumers hands, and not the airline? The entire bitch has changed from "damn airlines don't give us room" to "that asshole in front is reclining into MY lap? HOW DARE HE SLEEP ON A 4 HOUR FLIGHT".

TLDR Airlines need to make it so people who are larger than 5'2" can use their seats without being in pain. I'm not going to spend 30% more on a flight to fly in another class just because my knees don't fit, which has nothing to do with my personal choices. I'm fine with weight limitations (charging double for passengers over 300), but being 6'0" and not being able to sit comfy is just bullshit. People can't control how tall they are.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
The world would be a better place if a small fraction of the buttons that reclined airplane seats were replaced with ejector seat triggers. Not too many; just enough to make people think twice. Is it worth a one percent chance of getting dropped out of this aircraft for three additional inches of comfort?

I don't understand the entitlement mentality. You're paying for a seat with the ability to recline, and so is the person in front of you.

If you don't like it, get out and walk. :awe:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I don't understand the entitlement mentality. You're paying for a seat with the ability to recline, and so is the person in front of you.

If you don't like it, get out and walk. :awe:

are you, though? it's not as if airlines would lower the price of seats if they disabled the recline.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
I don't understand how people say they don't fit in their seats. I'm 6'1" and a fat 205 pounds and fit just fine in economy. I'm well over 500,000 butt in seat miles the last decade and never have I once had my knees jamming into the seat in front of me.
I've flown United, American, US Air, Lufthansa, KLM, British, Air Frogs, SAS, and a spattering of others I can't recall off the top of my head.

The only flights I have never reclined in are the short puddle jumpers such as TPA-FLL on a Saab 340 when I am the only passenger on the plane.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I don't understand how people say they don't fit in their seats. I'm 6'1" and a fat 205 pounds and fit just fine in economy. I'm well over 500,000 butt in seat miles the last decade and never have I once had my knees jamming into the seat in front of me.
I've flown United, American, US Air, Lufthansa, KLM, British, Air Frogs, SAS, and a spattering of others I can't recall off the top of my head.

The only flights I have never reclined in are the short puddle jumpers such as TPA-FLL on a Saab 340 when I am the only passenger on the plane.

Americans are getting bigger, says Kathleen Robinette, who's studied human body measurements for the U.S. Air Force for three decades.
But in general, the problem's "not you -- it's the seat," she says with a chuckle.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/30/travel/airline-seats/

http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/travelers-ed/the-shrinking-airline-seat

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304384104579141941949066648

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Which ATOT'er is this?

A US flight bound for Europe has been diverted after a mid-air fight broke out between passengers over legroom - the second such incident in a week.

The American Airlines flight from Miami to Paris was forced to land in Boston on Wednesday, after a male passenger argued with a woman who reclined her seat in front of him.

Air marshalls who were travelling on the plane intervened to stop the fight.

Edmund Alexandre, a 61-year-old from Paris, was arrested in Boston.

He has been charged with interfering with the crew on the flight.

Knee defender
Mr Alexandre was reported to have become upset when the female passenger tried to recline her seat, according to a statement released by prosecutors.

When a member of the flight crew tried to calm Mr Alexandre down, he is said to have become more angry and grabbed the man's arm.

The fight follows a similar incident on Sunday, which forced a United Airlines flight from Newark to Denver to divert to Chicago.

A heated argument broke out between a male and female passenger when the man attempted to use a Knee-Defender - a device which prevents the person travelling in front from reclining the seat.

The woman sitting in front of him reacted by standing up, turning around and throwing a cup of water at him.

Police investigated the incident but said it was a customer service issue.

http://www.bbc.com/news/28990232

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

This for reality. The answer is entitled fat fucks - how DARE anyone use the features on their seats that may induce me to reposition my body in a slightly different seating position.

Nov 3, 2004
are you, though? it's not as if airlines would lower the price of seats if they disabled the recline.

Actually it seems like that would be a great idea based upon the responses given. I know I would never fly with an airline that disabled their recliners unless it was a lot cheaper or a really short flight.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

Until that feature is no longer included with my flight, yes I am.

They don't lower the price of my ticket if I don't check a free bag either, but it's still included if I want it (airline-dependent, of course).

If I find airlines disabling reclining seats, I won't fly on them unless it's much cheaper.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Why aren't they just restraining these people fighting so everyone else can get to their destination on time? If I was on the flight that was diverted because of two ass hats, I'd be livid. Just restrain them, problem solved. Loud? Sedate them.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Why aren't they just restraining these people fighting so everyone else can get to their destination on time? If I was on the flight that was diverted because of two ass hats, I'd be livid. Just restrain them, problem solved. Loud? Sedate them.

Stick the Knee Defender down the owner's mouth, problem solved. ;)

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
the giant cock up his ass.

golfclap01kq5.gif

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
This is me right now in ass class one row from the back seat. I'm reclining just to spite some of the people in this thread.

F the guy behind me. He is coughing and pissing me off.

9M6ol03.png

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
This is me right now in ass class one row from the back seat. I'm reclining just to spite some of the people in this thread.

F the guy behind me. He is coughing and pissing me off.

9M6ol03.png

hooly shit that's a nice economy seat.