[Kitguru] Samsung asks ITC to ban sales of Nvidia products in the U.S.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Favoring any company?
Were either of them particularly disadvantaged before this round of patent arguments?

I'm guessing that it'll just be business as usual (maybe a couple of licence agreements but nothing that's going to change anything).

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Qualcomm's SOC graphics (Adreno) were sold to it by AMD as the ATI Imageon IP, in what is up there for most ironic sales ever (sold for $65 million to allow AMD to focus on more profitable businesses). In the old days I had thought that Imageon actually used ATI's general graphics IP just directed at handheld SOC only market (circa 2002-2009) and that the sale would thus include a lot of the IP for desktop Radeons around that time (2009) again for use in handheld only.

Would a Samsung controlled AMD (or amd at all) be allowed to compete with Adreno without some lawsuits or licence agreements in place?

I have no idea what IP Imageon actually included when it was sold.

Edit: the IP questions aside I guess my other point is that qualcomm graphics does in fact share its roots in PC, but its not that it couldn't compete with ATI, it WAS ATI.

That sale by AMD could be one of the worst decisions in the history of business. Sell a product perfect for smartphones right as smartphones take off. And to do it for so little. Qualcomm had to be laughing their asses off after that closing.

JM Popaleetus

Oct 1, 2010
heatware.com
That sale by AMD could be one of the worst decisions in the history of business. Sell a product perfect for smartphones right as smartphones take off. And to do it for so little. Qualcomm had to be laughing their asses off after that closing.
It's up there. But really, under AMD, ATI's Handset Division really wasn't gaining any traction or funding.

Personally, Sprint/Nextel merger comes to my mind as one of the worst.

Last edited:

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Favoring any company?

Nvidia obviously - almost certainly Nvidia feel they have a much stronger case (they started this). Samsung are just going through the counter sue motions to delay and lower what they will eventually have to pay out in the inevitable agreement.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013

Was Dirk Meyer responsible?

Feb 19, 2009
Qualcomm's SOC graphics (Adreno) were sold to it by AMD as the ATI Imageon IP, in what is up there for most ironic sales ever (sold for $65 million to allow AMD to focus on more profitable businesses). In the old days I had thought that Imageon actually used ATI's general graphics IP just directed at handheld SOC only market (circa 2002-2009) and that the sale would thus include a lot of the IP for desktop Radeons around that time (2009) again for use in handheld only.

Would a Samsung controlled AMD (or amd at all) be allowed to compete with Adreno without some lawsuits or licence agreements in place?

I have no idea what IP Imageon actually included when it was sold.

Edit: the IP questions aside I guess my other point is that qualcomm graphics does in fact share its roots in PC, but its not that it couldn't compete with ATI, it WAS ATI.

Indeed, Qualcomm gained a lot by taking in many ATI engineers during that sale along with the rights to use ATI graphics IP. But its not exclusive since AMD continued to build upon those graphics technologies to be where they are today.

The problem with Samsung is they weren't prolific in the graphics field in the old days, unlike PowerVR which was competitive for awhile alongside 3dfx, ATI, NV and Matrox. So now on the mobile field, two of the best GPU companies have a long history of engineers & innovation from the PC era. Samsung has squat and they know it, their custom SOCs are slowly being obsoleted over a few generations and now the problem is too large to ignore.

They have two realistic choices, become purely smartphone builder and use other company's hardware (they already do so on some markets due to LTE rights) or they innovate and deliver the best SOC to maintain a true Samsung ecosystem. Pride would lean towards the latter choice, which needs serious investment (AMD GPU IP is not too expensive in this sense). Taking the 1st approach is not optimal for the long run, leaving them at the mercy of Qualcomm like all other premium Android handset makers and dilute their influence & margins.

Not only that, I assume ATI/AMD share a lot of IPs with NV on graphics. Samsung would benefit for basically chump change investment.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Unless I'm missing something really obvious, Samsung wouldn't sue nVidia if they were intending to buy AMD. Doing so hurts AMD's direct competitor - which could drastically increase AMD's market share if nVidia's cards actually got banned in the US. And this would (most likely) result in a drastic rise in AMD's value, and therefore selling price.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Unless I'm missing something really obvious, Samsung wouldn't sue nVidia if they were intending to buy AMD. Doing so hurts AMD's direct competitor - which could drastically increase AMD's market share if nVidia's cards actually got banned in the US. And this would (most likely) result in a drastic rise in AMD's value, and therefore selling price.

That doesnt stop people that is emotionally invested in AMD to believe otherwise. And thats where dreams and reality collides. If anything, Samsung would also just rip the company apart for IP and any talented people. Nobody is buying an economic failure to keep it running.

TrulyUncouth

Jul 16, 2013
That doesnt stop people that is emotionally invested in AMD to believe otherwise. And thats where dreams and reality collides. If anything, Samsung would also just rip the company apart for IP and any talented people. Nobody is buying an economic failure to keep it running.

I think it is more people who are CPU/GPU enthusiasts see how it could revitalize what has become a boring space. Can you honestly say you wouldn't be excited by some of the cool prospects if Samsung bought AMD tomorrow? Quit being a fuddy duddy, and realize not everyone is as invested in AMD bashing/praising as you are.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I think it is more people who are CPU/GPU enthusiasts see how it could revitalize what has become a boring space. Can you honestly say you wouldn't be excited by some of the cool prospects if Samsung bought AMD tomorrow? Quit being a fuddy duddy, and realize not everyone is as invested in AMD bashing/praising as you are.

Are you saying we shouldn't let real world business practices get in the way of a fantasy world?

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012

Unless the selling price was already agreed. Acquisitions are organised behind the scenes for weeks and months before the public announcement and start of the formalities.

Feb 19, 2009

Yup, dont mind that at all. Samsung takes over AMD, destroys the CPU division and focus on the graphics IP and with their fabs, release discrete GPU for consumer and HPC as well as improve their notebook & mobiles.

Certainly no worse off than under AMD's own management. At least they will have the advantage of not having to compete with Apple, Qualcomm, NV and everyone else for TSMC.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Hopefully it won't come to this. I'm hoping Samsung and NVidia just come to a cross-licensing agreement, and leave it at that. Losing the entire US market would be an insanely massive blow to NVidia, one which would probably kill it, and we really don't want a monopoly in GPUs.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Hopefully it won't come to this. I'm hoping Samsung and NVidia just come to a cross-licensing agreement, and leave it at that. Losing the entire US market would be an insanely massive blow to NVidia, one which would probably kill it, and we really don't want a monopoly in GPUs.

No but Jen-Hsun Huang and company are shady as ever especially with all the Gameworks software that is being released right now especially from Ubisoft. Something to possibly bring their conduct out into the open and potentially legally control what they are able to do would be a win for the computer and gamer industry. And if Jen-Hsun Huang and his close friends at the company were somehow removed from the company by law or by investors then I think that would also be a win for the whole computer and gamer industries and also the company. From what I have heard they have some amazing engineers but crap leadership so getting rid of the current executive leadership is what would benefit everyone the most out of anything.

Wild Thing

Apr 9, 2014
Well I'd have to say,even being an AMD fan, that JHH runs his company pretty damn well and his shareholders think so too.
NV make a lot of money.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Well I'd have to say,even being an AMD fan, that JHH runs his company pretty damn well and his shareholders think so too. NV make a lot of money.

Running the company administrationally well and morally well are not the same. JHH even got in trouble with his board and investors after they paid off Origin Systems to drop AMD from their computer offerings.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
No but Jen-Hsun Huang and company are shady as ever especially with all the Gameworks software that is being released right now especially from Ubisoft. Something to possibly bring their conduct out into the open and potentially legally control what they are able to do would be a win for the computer and gamer industry. And if Jen-Hsun Huang and his close friends at the company were somehow removed from the company by law or by investors then I think that would also be a win for the whole computer and gamer industries and also the company. From what I have heard they have some amazing engineers but crap leadership so getting rid of the current executive leadership is what would benefit everyone the most out of anything.

From what you've heard? hehe. Dude, you need new sources and cancel any checks you've written. :)

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012