King's Bounty: Warriors of the North

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
Does the game help now to keep track of quests and locations or do you still have to do it yourself.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
You have a quest log that tells you what to do. It doesn't show you were the quest objective is (or at least I didn't see/notice it did). Played for 2-3 hours last night, if you like KB games you'll dig this.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
damn it, I missed the pre-order discounts and bonus! dammit, dammit, dammit.

Baptismbyfire

Oct 7, 2010
You can still get the bonus if you get the Valhalla edition. $33 at Greenmangaming.

Oh, but you don't get the free copy of Fantasy War or something like that.

acx

Jan 26, 2001
Combat is turn based. But world map is real time. But thats not a big deal since you only have control of 1 hero/army and can't build any towns or structures. The entire world spawns with a limited number of monsters and troops you can recruit.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
So far, feels like more of the same, with a couple of extra bits tacked on.

If you wanted huge amounts of progress with graphics, a revolution in gameplay etc. Look elsewhere.

If you loved KB TL, AP or CW and want more? This is for you :)

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Hmmm, why don't I gain experience in my rage of the valkyrie (or whatever replaced the dragon), am I missing something? I'm level 7 and only have my original base skill. I probably forgot to read something on this or does it only start later?

Edit- oh, I went to their forum and you need to meet the first Valkyrie for it to start counting and she is on the 2nd island

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I finished HoMM 1-2 and played some of 3, but I also liked the battles more than some other parts. In HoMM 3 it seemed like many maps were a race, if you didn't go after the computer's castles aggressively enough then it would out-produce you so much that you had no hope of winning.

In KB the enemies are fixed, so if you can't beat them now you can level up a bit and come back to them later.

I liked building up castles in HoMM, but it's also nice in KB not to worry about defending them -- you're free to go off and explore instead.

For Heroes 3, in some campaign maps and many scenario maps, you dont necessarily have to play that way.
But yeah, to make the campaign challenging the majority of missions were a race against your opponent. They were trying to step up the gameplay compared to previous titles.

Actually, nowadays thats pretty much the standard for TBS anyway. GalCiv 2 is like that.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Have almost 10 hours in the game and I don't even feel like I've dented it yet. I'm enjoying it, it is more of the same mostly but if you like KB you'll dig it. I like the Viking theme and the rune system is cool. Valkyries are cool too, making your horse fly is always win

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Just bought it. Don't generally like paying full sticker price, but for a game series I enjoy I went ahead and bought it.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Yeah definitely more of the game, but that's a good thing.:thumbsup:

I would however suggest that people who have never played these games before but are interested, to try one of the earlier games since they are pretty much the same and cheaper.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Yeah definitely more of the game, but that's a good thing.:thumbsup:

I would however suggest that people who have never played these games before but are interested, to try one of the earlier games since they are pretty much the same and cheaper.

Yeah, while a lot of games get ragged on (justly) for being the same thing over and over. In KB it just works really and with so few of these types of games coming out nowadays it is really hard to complain.

They definitely do play it safe with this series, basically adding most everything from the previous game(s) and adding a little bit more of everything and changing/tweaking some stuff. Can't blame them because it makes for a solid gameplay experience for anyone that is a turn base fan.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I would suggest that whoever preordered play on a harder mode than 'normal', the game is way too easy. I have not had any difficult in any fight so far, I would go as far as to say it's laughably easy up to now at level 12... I hope the challenge will pick up soon.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I would suggest that whoever preordered play on a harder mode than 'normal', the game is way too easy. I have not had any difficult in any fight so far, I would go as far as to say it's laughably easy up to now at level 12... I hope the challenge will pick up soon.

Yeah I'm starting to think the same. Can we change difficulty mid-game?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

I was struggling earlier on... then I noticed at level 11 that some NPC's actually have more than the 2-3 monsters that they show, there's an arrow you have to click.

Once I found that, I facepalmed and had an easier time.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
okay, played about an hour. So far, no gamebreaking issues, but quite a few sloppy things.

- Grammar is atrocious at times. In two short sentences when the King spoke, I noticed two incorrect usages of "it" and a missing "you". Even some of the spell, skill and item descriptions have typos in them.
- The paragraph structure is annoying. They went with boxed paragraphs, which forced them to put several spaces between the last two words of each sentence.
- Anyone else think the sound effects are muted or maybe missing? I come down with a Rage attack and if I wasn't watching it, I wouldn't have known the attack occurred. Sound effects are too low (even when set high) or very uninspiring.
- Absolutely no voice acting. C'mon 2C, you couldn't add in a little voice acting?
- Achievement log isn't working right. Still shows I collected $0 gold, when obviously that's not correct when I'm an hour into the game.

Anyway, not enough to stop playing obviously, but it does seem they wanted this game out and will fix the small issues later.

Oh, and from the sounds of it, looks like I made the right choice going to Hard to start. However, it hasn't been difficult to beat anyone yet.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Oh, and from the sounds of it, looks like I made the right choice going to Hard to start. However, it hasn't been difficult to beat anyone yet.

You definitely did the right choice...every new map I start at least 80% of the fights are 'weak'... in the other games there was a curve of difficulty so you knew where to go. In this game I start a map, start flying around and kill everything randomly without fear of losing my prized units.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
You definitely did the right choice...every new map I start at least 80% of the fights are 'weak'... in the other games there was a curve of difficulty so you knew where to go. In this game I start a map, start flying around and kill everything randomly without fear of losing my prized units.

Sort of the opposite for me here. I've been struggling to find a group of monsters easier to defeat than 'Slightly Weaker' on Normal. This with the Warrior PC and a full compliment of monsters.

I'm finding this to be very much like the previous games where I scooted around to find the easier fights, like playing a game of chess on the world map, knocking off the smallest to become stronger to take on bigger packs (which by then would be comparatively weaker to me).

ahdaniels76

Nov 30, 2010
Anyone have tips for a good early army and getting off the first island? I want to get as many no-loss battles in as possible, but the units available are pretty terrible. Opening up bears helps, but the vikings seem too weak.

What level are you, typically, when you finally get a boat?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
You get a boat when you finish the first island...level 6 or so.

This game is too easy so far. I haven't even come close to losing a battle, even against "strong" armies. I'm regretting not playing on hard

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Anyone have tips for a good early army and getting off the first island? I want to get as many no-loss battles in as possible, but the units available are pretty terrible. Opening up bears helps, but the vikings seem too weak.

What level are you, typically, when you finally get a boat?

All I know is, when you get to the second island, buy Assassin's, they are insane.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
All I know is, when you get to the second island, buy Assassin's, they are insane.

Worst units on the first island must be slingers...hit like a mouse and die like one too. The guys that throw axes don't do much either, considering their price.

Early game I've always liked bears, they hit quite hard and can take quite a bit of punishment.