King's Bounty: Warriors of the North

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
i have Armored princess and played like 40 minutes only... there was something i didnt not quite like about it... need to try it again

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I love the KB games. I need to replay armored Princess because I lost my save (was playing on the laptop). But the first KB The Legend I put almost 80 hours into. I'll be grabbing this preorder from a friend for $18 :D
Damn, scratch that, seems Steam is smarting up, he couldn't buy it as a gift :(

Last edited:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I played some KB The Legend a while ago and enjoyed it. But couldn't finish it due to getting bored with the repetitiveness of the game...

But vikings...love this theme! Looks really cool too...

Should I complete the first 2 in the series before getting to the new one?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I played some KB The Legend a while ago and enjoyed it. But couldn't finish it due to getting bored with the repetitiveness of the game...

But vikings...love this theme! Looks really cool too...

From what it looks like, this one is not going to need the previous ones to play. Armored Princess didn't need the first one, but it was good to have played it because you get a bit more back story but that was it really.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I enjoyed both Legend and Armored Princess, so I'll be getting this eventually.

I have so many other games to play first though so it might be awhile.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Playing through the Legend now. seems tough and you need to grind up on level with side quests before heading to the next area.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

You don't need to, but you should anyway. They're great games.

The entire King's Bounty Platinum Collection goes on sale regularly for ~$7.50 on Steam. Check it out when you get the chance.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Playing through the Legend now. seems tough and you need to grind up on level with side quests before heading to the next area.

The game is indeed tough, what makes it worse are the relatively limited resources. Theres no home base to keep raking in gold, and the monsters are limited so eventually you will run out of good ones, even if you play a Paladin and use Resurrection spells each round. The only unlimited units are incredibly weak.
And if you mismanage your purchases you will eventually have to dismiss units never to return. (There arent enough castles nor slots within castles).

Even worse is if you accidentally try to subdue one of your magic items and get caught in a brutal fight. When you are done you'll have a severely weakened army and have to go find more stuff to recruit.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Although the hiring monsters, building up my own town part of the HoMM-series always excited me, the whole turn-based bit wasn't really to my tastes.

King's Bounty strips away the turn-based map stuff, allowing me to get to do what i want to do: get into that battle with my beasties and slaughter them in an efficient and fun way :) I also like the limited resource aspect and the battles are better in that we can get boss fights and have the Magic Box of Spirits/Dragon/Valkyries to spice things up a little in KB.

Needless to say, already pre-ordered and I have an alarm set for the date/time that it should unlock.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Love the KB games. Didn't even know this was in development so that is a nice surprise.

My poor wallet. :twisted:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Although the hiring monsters, building up my own town part of the HoMM-series always excited me, the whole turn-based bit wasn't really to my tastes.

King's Bounty strips away the turn-based map stuff, allowing me to get to do what i want to do: get into that battle with my beasties and slaughter them in an efficient and fun way :) I also like the limited resource aspect and the battles are better in that we can get boss fights and have the Magic Box of Spirits/Dragon/Valkyries to spice things up a little in KB.

Needless to say, already pre-ordered and I have an alarm set for the date/time that it should unlock.

I'm kinda the opposite. Loved the turn-based combat, but couldn't stand having to go back to inns and other places after each battle to replenish my stock of fighters. It was a pain in the rear and felt it could have been handled better.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I'm kinda the opposite. Loved the turn-based combat, but couldn't stand having to go back to inns and other places after each battle to replenish my stock of fighters. It was a pain in the rear and felt it could have been handled better.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I wasn't a fan of the turn-based map bits of HoMM but loved the turn-based fighting of both.

Going back for monsters was a pain, especially if you didn't remember where you found them in the first place. Though... I think this forced me to play smarter, extending the game by making me think harder (position/timing) rather than work harder (running lots and lots).

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Loved KB:AP. Took a while to beat it and get use to the play style but once you got dragons GG!

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I finished HoMM 1-2 and played some of 3, but I also liked the battles more than some other parts. In HoMM 3 it seemed like many maps were a race, if you didn't go after the computer's castles aggressively enough then it would out-produce you so much that you had no hope of winning.

In KB the enemies are fixed, so if you can't beat them now you can level up a bit and come back to them later.

I liked building up castles in HoMM, but it's also nice in KB not to worry about defending them -- you're free to go off and explore instead.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
In KB the enemies are fixed, so if you can't beat them now you can level up a bit and come back to them later.

What about those plants, and I think another insect type enemy, that spawned youngin's. You never knew how many they would spawn. I hated those things.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
What about those plants, and I think another insect type enemy, that spawned youngin's. You never knew how many they would spawn. I hated those things.

Your plants can spawn too, the rules are the same for both sides.

That's during a battle though -- if a monster stack has 100 plant-kings (whatever the real name is :) ) at the beginning of the game, it will still only have 100 plant-kings 50 turns later.

With HoMM, the AI enemies had their castles that kept growing in strength, and they grew faster than you could.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Your plants can spawn too, the rules are the same for both sides.

That's during a battle though -- if a monster stack has 100 plant-kings (whatever the real name is :) ) at the beginning of the game, it will still only have 100 plant-kings 50 turns later.

With HoMM, the AI enemies had their castles that kept growing in strength, and they grew faster than you could.

just cast fireball on the plants which gets the spawned ones too, they were easy to handle.

and yeah, i remember times in Homm5 that i had to camp outside of an enemy's final castle and have several mule heroes bringing me more and more creatures until i could win the castle.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Preordered as well - the KB series has been a lot of fun. I'm curious about the freebie game that came with as well.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The HOMM fans should also enjoy this game too. The lack of turn base part looks like it would be nice. I may give it a go when it comes out.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
The HOMM fans should also enjoy this game too. The lack of turn base part looks like it would be nice. I may give it a go when it comes out.

Try Kings Bounty: The Legend or Armored Princess. They're excellent games and I suspect this game is just more of the same rehashed. Not a bad thing, but if you're interested in this game there is no reason to wait. Just get the previous game.

I prefer this series to the HOMM games.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Preordered as well - the KB series has been a lot of fun. I'm curious about the freebie game that came with as well.

The free game isn't very good, it feels old and clunky to me... still pre-ordered though, I thoroughly enjoyed the King's Bounty games.