Kids school project

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Today I was sitting in my office when the phone began to ring. I immediately recognized the number as my kids' school and groaned. Is someone sick? In trouble? After answering and being greeted by the principal's voice, my mind assumed the latter.

Turns out it was neither. Two weeks ago my son's 5th grade class was given an assignment having to do with the upcoming presidential election. Each student was randomly assigned Obama or Romney and their job was to create a Powerpoint and poster outlining why their candidate is better. The purpose of the assignment was to expose kids to each candidate, their viewpoints, and encourage critical thinking to prepare the kids for when they, too, will vote someday.

We worked with our son on the project and he came up with ideas like "Romney is cool" and "he has made a lot of money." Things you would expect to see come out of the mouth of a 10 year old.

Apparently some parents had other ideas with their kids' projects and a few posters had things like:

- Romney supports traditional marriage: one man, one woman!
- Obama is not a Mormon

and other heated statements having to do with religion, race, abortion, etc.

The principal had decided to end the assignment and take everyone's posters down because he didn't feel these were appropriate to have hanging in the elementary school and I told him I agreed.

I found it pretty sad that some people had used their child's assignment as an opportunity to grandstand their own personal political beliefs.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Today I was sitting in my office when the phone began to ring. I immediately recognized the number as my kids' school and groaned. Is someone sick? In trouble? After answering and being greeted by the principal's voice, my mind assumed the latter.

Turns out it was neither. Two weeks ago my son's 5th grade class was given an assignment having to do with the upcoming presidential election. Each student was randomly assigned Obama or Romney and their job was to create a Powerpoint and poster outlining why their candidate is better. The purpose of the assignment was to expose kids to each candidate, their viewpoints, and encourage critical thinking to prepare the kids for when they, too, will vote someday.

We worked with our son on the project and he came up with ideas like "Romney is cool" and "he has made a lot of money." Things you would expect to see come out of the mouth of a 10 year old.

Apparently some parents had other ideas with their kids' projects and a few posters had things like:

- Romney supports traditional marriage: one man, one woman!
- Obama is not a Mormon

and other heated statements having to do with religion, race, abortion, etc.

The principal had decided to end the assignment and take everyone's posters down because he didn't feel these were appropriate to have hanging in the elementary school and I told him I agreed.

I found it pretty sad that some people had used their child's assignment as an opportunity to grandstand their own personal political beliefs.

Sounds to me like that met the purpose of the assignment.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Seems like a good assignment for the kids, but you could bet that dumb parents would have to throw their opinion in there. Some boundaries needed to be set, but that can be tricky.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
I would just keep it in perspective..always was and always will be loons...to them, this election is a 'life and death' struggle so they will do what ever is nessecary to espose thier nonesense...

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Seems like a good assignment for the kids, but you could bet that dumb parents would have to throw their opinion in there. Some boundaries needed to be set, but that can be tricky.

I really liked the assignment when I first heard about it and my wife remembers doing the same thing when she was in school for the 1992 election.

Something could have been added asking parents to avoid the most controversial issues since the posters will be displayed in the school for all to see but, like you say, that opens up new problems. What's controversial and what isn't?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Do you really feel those kind of statements are appropriate to have hanging in an elementary school?

"Romney will not kill babies," for example?

That sounds like how a 10 year old would describe abortion to me.

If the project is suppose to be about the candidates viewpoints what do you expect?

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
The purpose of the assignment was to expose kids to each candidate, their viewpoints, and encourage critical thinking to prepare the kids for when they, too, will vote someday.

Sound more like the purpose of the assignment was indoctrination.

Then again, that is the purpose of the public "education" system.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

Naaah, usually they just go straight for the creepy "sing the praises of our dear leader" songs or humiliate those who <gasp> support anyone other than the dear leader. This seems more like a legit assignment.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Why would a child say something like "Romney will not kill babies" if the idea wasn't fed to them in one way or another by their parents?

The first thing I did in elementary when I got a project was ask my mom. I suspect these children did the same.

I guess Nehalem seeks to be the radial non-conformist in practically every thread he posts in, no matter how insane he sounds.

LOL Indoctrination via a Research project into a candidate's viewpoints. Nice.

Last edited:

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
This seems more like a legit assignment.

What's legit about indoctrinating kids into thinking there's some major difference between corporate puppet Left and corporate puppet Right, when both espouse the same basic policies?

A more legit assignment would have exposed kids to all the different candidates, and more importantly, all the different views about what policies out government should pursue.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Why would a child say something like "Romney will not kill babies" if the idea wasn't fed to them in one way or another by their parents?

The first thing I did in elementary when I got a project was ask my mom. I suspect these children did the same.

I guess Nehalem seeks to be the radial non-conformist in practically every thread he posts in, no matter how insane he sounds.

It's also possible the child has overheard things as well. However, it's more likely they were spoonfed what to put on their posters by parents. We try to shield our kids from heated issues so they can worry about being kids rather than being indoctrinated into certain ways of thinking -- left OR right.

SheHateMe said:
LOL Indoctrination via a Research project into a candidate's viewpoints. Nice.

Juror has shown repeatedly he's a foaming at the mouth nut case. Probably a secondary account of some other shill.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005

Naaah, usually they just go straight for the creepy "sing the praises of our dear leader" songs or humiliate those who <gasp> support anyone other than the dear leader. This seems more like a legit assignment.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

?

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

?

Don't forget to add a picture for illustrative purposes.

Look familiar?

american-school-children-bellamy-salute.jpg

Hitler liked our indoctrination rituals so much he copied them in his own country.

But no, public "education" run by the State isn't indoctrination.

LOL.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Don't forget to add a picture for illustrative purposes.

Look familiar?

Hitler liked our indoctrination rituals so much he copied them in his own country.

But no, public "education" run by the State isn't indoctrination.

LOL.

So what, were you home schooled, private schooled, or (my guess) never educated to being with?

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
So what, were you home schooled, private schooled, or (my guess) never educated to being with?

By the way, this is called a tu quoque logical fallacy. The fact that you so easily committed such a logical fallacy without any forethought should be evidence that the public indoctrination system you worship has failed you. The foundation to a decent liberal arts education is logical thinking, which you were never taught to do.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
By the way, this is called a tu quoque logical fallacy. The fact that you so easily committed such a logical fallacy without any forethought should be evidence that the public indoctrination system you worship has failed you. The foundation to a decent liberal arts education is logical thinking, which you were never taught to do.

You know I considered using an intelligent argument to go after your flawed and clearly paranoid viewpoint, but then I realized you're the type that is beyond help. And quite frankly, you're not worth my time. And seeing as you've been so heavily indoctrinated to be afraid of the government boogieman, well I'll just let you stand as a perfect example of the indoctrination you so seem to fear.

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
You know I considered using an intelligent argument to go after your flawed and clearly paranoid viewpoint, but then I realized you're the type that is beyond help. And quite frankly, you're not worth my time. And seeing as you've been so heavily indoctrinated to be afraid of the government boogieman, well I'll just let you stand as a perfect example of the indoctrination you so seem to fear.

Tell me, how could you possibly consider arguing intelligently when you don't even understand how to employ basic logic? It's impossible. Add to that the fact that you have a textbook case of Stockholm syndrome, and it's well beyond hopeless.

You're essentially at the level of: "But Brawndo's got electrolytes!"

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Tell me, how could you possibly consider arguing intelligently when you don't even understand how to employ basic logic? It's impossible. Add to that the fact that you have a textbook case of Stockholm syndrome, and it's well beyond hopeless.

You're essentially at the level of: "But Brawndo's got electrolytes!"

You're not even making sense dude. We don't live in some "V For Vendetta" style oppressive government with you as some badass anarchist vigilante who'll save us all. You talk about using logic and them invoke Stockholm syndrome when talking about public education! Perhaps if I alliterate using the letter V you'll realize how Very paranoid and Virtually unreachable level of insane you are?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Sounds like a great topic, hopefully they'll do religions next and then they can have a slingshot and marble recreational day.