Kia -- Buy One, Get One Free!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

knightc2

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: BUSTaMOD
My cousin was going to get a Sedona, is there a online link for this deal?

Some dealers have an online link, what is your cousin's zip code and I'll find it for you.

Remember they'll have to pay FULL RETAIL MSRP in order to get the "free car".

This is most likely true, but I wonder if MFG or dealer rebates would still apply? Can a dealer deny these rebates on the car that is being "paid" for?... I am sure there is a "catch" to this in some way. Still a nice deal as you are no doubt getting a free car and that in itself is a good deal.

OzzieGT

Oct 9, 1999
KIA's are tin cans. Their crash test ratings are so bad I wouldn't trust my loved ones in that car. Not only that but they suffer a LOT more damage than the avg car in low speed collisions.

Savage26

Apr 25, 2001
Okay Folks, Im gonna add my little splash of info to all of this: I have a cousins involved in the auto industry: 2 who work for the big 3, 4 who are partners in a car repair/body shop/custom pimped race car biz, and an uncle and sister in with GM. The universal opinion of KIA from all of these individuals(most of whom are buy american only types) is that with KIA you roll the dice, for as many cars as they see needing excessive repairs they see(my cousins especially) many with very high miles still running smoothly and reliably. As my uncle says: "I'd like to bad mouth them but every time i hear a horror story i hear another about reliability and longevity", and "You tell me a model and a company and i will show you a pissed off customer who claims all cars from company X are lemons. Its human nature to ascribe your personal vehicle problems to all cars of that model/manufacturer"
Anyhow, I dont know if that helps any but there it is......Thx Jon

hukim0531

Dec 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Savage26
Okay Folks, Im gonna add my little splash of info to all of this: I have a cousins involved in the auto industry: 2 who work for the big 3, 4 who are partners in a car repair/body shop/custom pimped race car biz, and an uncle and sister in with GM. The universal opinion of KIA from all of these individuals(most of whom are buy american only types) is that with KIA you roll the dice, for as many cars as they see needing excessive repairs they see(my cousins especially) many with very high miles still running smoothly and reliably. As my uncle says: "I'd like to bad mouth them but every time i hear a horror story i hear another about reliability and longevity", and "You tell me a model and a company and i will show you a pissed off customer who claims all cars from company X are lemons. Its human nature to ascribe your personal vehicle problems to all cars of that model/manufacturer"
Anyhow, I dont know if that helps any but there it is......Thx Jon

Ford Festiva was marketed in Korea as Kia Pride. The original pride owners were so satisfied with their cars (both in U.S. and in Korea) Kia revived Pride in hopes of regaining such popularity they enjoyed previously. It's only 112 HP in Korea but is marketed with factory MP3 player. They also sell in diesel model.

New Kia Pride

I apologize for the website is in Korean, but it has picture of new Pride at the bottom.

I am also a Korean and drive 2005 Toy Sienna and 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R, but the only reason I don't own one of Hyundai is because the dealership in Burlington, VT tried to rip me off. All their cars had some sort of mark up above MSRP and when I tried to make deal with him for a Sonata, he kept asking me how much I can afford to pay monthly rather than discuss the actual price. Same day I went to Nissan dealership and I bought SE-R $160 under dealer invoice.

I love the look of the new Sonata and if my Sentra fails me for any reason, I'd replace it with new Sonata in a heartbeat.

BTW, I didn't see any article in U.S. news but Dr. Hwang, a scientist who have just announced successful of cloning embryotic stem cells from patients with illness or lost limbs, had reported several days before this announcement that he has successfully created genetically altered cows totally immune to mad cow disease. His cows have been shipped to Japan for further studies in laboratories built specifically to study such cows but Japanese scientists were unable to create. I'm sure these cows will go through extensive studies to make sure they're good for human consumptions as any other genetically altered crops which enhenced in size or productivity had to go through.

Of course this is a very touchy topic and I call myself a Christian, but I really really respect Dr. Hwang for turning down all foreign offers to study in their labs and stayed in Korea and continued his research with meager $250,000 grant from government.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Wow. I don't think I've ever seen so much thread crapping and misinformation in a hot deals thread ever :Q

andypress

Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Monotaur
Originally posted by: ECartman
I'm stickin with my Lexus and 2 Infiniti's (G35 coupe and sedan -- awesome!)

Seriously. ;)

Ahh, welcome to the VQ35 club. I own an 04 Maxima... only complaint so far really is the brakes - the rotors tend to warp. :(

02 Pathfinder and 03 G35, when are the American Companies going to realize that a V6 has more than enough power; case in point: the new durango has a v8 that outputs 250hp while the nissan froniter outputs 265 with better gas mileage.

kuritadelta

Aug 3, 2001

I don't know what AVG car you are talking about.
First, you don't obviously know that Sedonna received the highest crash test rating. It was one of the first to do so after Toyota Sienna/etc was failing..

Second, if you wanna compare subcompact like Rio(old) to that of bigger cars... well you just ain't being fair.

Your words just imply bias and show that you came here to thread crap.

Originally posted by: OzzieGT
KIA's are tin cans. Their crash test ratings are so bad I wouldn't trust my loved ones in that car. Not only that but they suffer a LOT more damage than the avg car in low speed collisions.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I rented a sportage once and that was a POS. Every 100 miles the engine would shut down on the freeway. I finally got tired of it and just before the hundred mark, I'd restart the car on the side of the road. Other than that the car has no power. Reminds of that fool Scion Xb driver who was gunning his engine to pass me and it sounded like it was going to blow but fat chance he had I was driving a Dodge Magnum and that was a rocket.

On the plus side, I rented a Sedona once to move some stuff. Granted its not designed with efficiency in mind but it sure had a powerful motor in it.

artist99

Jul 24, 2002
if you buy a Hyundai be sure it was made in Korea. the American made ones aren't suppose to be as good

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: artist99
if you buy a Hyundai be sure it was made in Korea. the American made ones aren't suppose to be as good

I've heard totally opposite from all the native Koreans I've spoken to. They said the best made cars are reserved for the US export market and marginal ones are sold in the Korean market. The reason is that the Korean automakers want to improve their reliability image in the US and gain marketshare. They already have huge marketshare in Korea and people in Korea tend to not keep their cars long as American owners. Most of the cars on the road in Korea are only couple years old.

fourml8r

May 21, 2005
This was true of old Volvos, new ones are continually bashed by Consumer reports as having terrible reliability.

Now for some basic car info 101:

There are very few car manufacturers today. Due to economies of cost they have been buying and cross licensing for many years.

First you have to mention that there are no more US/Japanese/European/Asian manufacturers. They are all GLOBAL companies that sell AND BUILD cars all over the world. Yes the guy that lives down the block from you is likely to be employed by Hyundai/Daimler/Mazda/Subaru etc....

Example 1: A manufacturer has more than one car line (Regular and Luxury)
Toyota = Lexus
Nissan = Infinity
Honda = Acura
VW = Audi

Example 2: A manufacturer sells the same cars under multiple names/brands

Hyundai = Kia
Ford = Mercury = Lincoln
Chevy = Pontiac = Buick = Cadillac
Chrysler = Dodge
Ford = Mazda

Example 3: A manufacturer will share a car platform across unrelated brands in which they own a portion of each company

Subaru = Saab (Impreza/92x)
Ford = Mazda = Volvo

Example 4: All car manufacturers are global and have ties to other manufacturers:
GM owns interests in Fiat (They are selling it)/Saab/Subaru (luckily thay have been hands off)
VW owns interests in Bentley/Bugatti
BMW owns interests in Rolls/Range Rover (Until recently, not sure about now)
Ford owns interests in Mazda/Volvo/Jaguar

My favorite story is in 1990 I bought an Eagle Talon (Chrysler). At that time Chrysler had interests in Mitsubishi (Eclipse model). While in the showroom I opened a door on a Talon and saw the sill plates said "Eclipse !!!!". Turns out both cars were made in the same plant and the auto worked just grabbed the part out of the wrong box (Mitsubishi box instead of the Chrysler box).

I owned this car for 50,000 miles until Chrysler settles the LEMON LAW suit I filed against them. I stopped buying CHrysler products for 10 years because of this. In 2000 I bought a Sebring Convertible. I had to trade it in after only 8,000 miles due to 3 major problems that made the car undriveable and had to be towed. After only 1.5 years the depreciation was $7,500. No more Chryslers for me. Other friends of mine have bought Chryslers with less than stellar reliability.

So if you think similar models of cars (Even if they are different brands) are really significantly different. Guess again. Chances are they cars you are looking at will share MANY parts and may even come off the same assembly line.

FYI - GM/Ford have recently had their stocks drop to JUNK status. Mainly because there is little consumer confidence that they will turn around their sales slumps in the next few years. Both GM/Ford have banked heavily on SUVs/Big trucks and will gas/oil going up their sales are dropping fast in favor of more fuel efficient cars. Another problem is that GM/Ford now have so many retirees to support (Pensions/Health care etc.) that they are in terrible financial shape.

Personally I stick to Japanese cars (Subaru and Toyotas) for me. I find that Japanese cars are better engineered.

BUSTaMOD

Jun 5, 2003
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: BUSTaMOD
My cousin was going to get a Sedona, is there a online link for this deal?

Some dealers have an online link, what is your cousin's zip code and I'll find it for you.

Remember they'll have to pay FULL RETAIL MSRP in order to get the "free car".

briancho

May 31, 2005
Thank goodness for capitalism that we have all these choices.

Kia was purchased by Hyundai after they went bankrupt back during the Asian currency crisis of 1997/98. Daewoo was purchased by GM, and is sold through Suzuki in the US market.

I have no problems with Kia. I believe that some of you are dismissing Kia as crap, simply based upon some stories you've heard from a friend of a friend.

For the person who said that they will "stick with their Lexus and 2 Infinities", you need to take your personal insecurities somewhere else. Lexus and Infiniti are not competitive with Kia, and have nothing to do with the topic at hand. I swear, some people are so insecure they need to try to show off on the Internet, despite only having some entry-level luxury/sport car.

Koreans drive Kias. What are you talking about? Are you US military personnel?

Some of you are so anti-foreign cars and dismiss everything else as crap. It's funny that it's this same attitude among American car company managers that causes American cars to fall behind in profitability, quality, among other things.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Full retail MSRP on the Sedona EX with all options (ABS, sunroof, first aid kit, rear entertainments, leather trim) is $28,195, cars direct has it for $21,943, invoice at $26,343.

Full retail msrp on the Kia Rio with no options (NO p/s, p/w, no tachometer, no abs, no auto tranny, no a/c) is $10,535. Carsdirect: $8,884, invoice: $10,284.

Full retail on the rio with options (a/c, tach, p/w, p/l, p/s, ABS) is: $12,595, carsdirect: $10,757, invoice: $12,157.

Is it my math, or is kia losing a bit of money on this deal? They can't possibly have that many super base no-optioned Kia Rios.

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: ECartman
If you're on a budget, you can pick up a "like new" low end Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mazda, or other japenese econ car with abour 25-30K miles for $9000-$15000 at hertzcarsales.com. I have bought 5 cars over the years from hertz car sales, and have had great luck with them. They are meticulously maintained and usually have 2 years of factory warranty left on them.

This is how Hertz gets rid of its better rentals after 25K miles or so

Thanks for the tip!

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Just want to say that in 18 months, we've put 30k miles on our 2004 Sedona EX and haven't had any issues whatsoever. We've been very happy with our van.

I recently rented an Uplander on vacation and it was such an unbelievably horrible vehicle that it made me miss our Kia terribly. I know that the long-term reliability will be worse than Honda and Toyota, but it certainly can't be any worse than american cars.

Sure, if money was not an issue, I would have probably bought an Odyssey or Sienna. But the Sedona was 8-10k less with similar options and has a better warranty(100k miles on the powertrain).

Oh, and the best crash test ratings of any of the minivans.

OzzieGT

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: kuritadelta

First, you don't obviously know that Sedonna received the highest crash test rating. It was one of the first to do so after Toyota Sienna/etc was failing..

Second, if you wanna compare subcompact like Rio(old) to that of bigger cars... well you just ain't being fair.

Older kias got 1-3 star crash test ratings. Even the newer small models like the spectra only get 3-4 star ratings. And I doubt you even know the results of 5mph pole collision tests. The older kias got absurd numbers because the pole would go right through the bumper and damage the trunk lid. Checkyourfactsbeforeyouflamekthnx.

kuritadelta

Aug 3, 2001

Notice that I was talking about Sedonna which is KIA, when you were talking about ALL KIAS. As I said, Sedonna received the highest rating.

No need talking about other cars since the thread was about Sedonnas and Rios, but If you are talking about 2005 consumer report of Spectra receiving low rating, yes it's true. but it did better than some other manufacturer models. Actually in that same class of testing, there were no "winner" as the top came out acceptable only(ie: Toyota corolla). Dodge Neon received the lowest, and Kia Spectra fared better than about 4-5 models.
Infact most received poor ratings.
Seeing that you judged the "whole lineup of manufacturer" based on these tests, I guess you got other companies to call "tin cans" besides Kia now.

Originally posted by: OzzieGT
Originally posted by: kuritadelta

Older kias got 1-3 star crash test ratings. Even the newer small models like the spectra only get 3-4 star ratings. And I doubt you even know the results of 5mph pole collision tests. The older kias got absurd numbers because the pole would go right through the bumper and damage the trunk lid. Checkyourfactsbeforeyouflamekthnx.