Kia -- Buy One, Get One Free!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atrac

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2000
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
I have a 89 Ford Fiestiva I bought new. They are made in Korea and it's been a very reliable car. It's been through 3 kids and is still running great.

The Ford Festiva was made by KIA. So was the Ford Aspire. :)

I've had my 2004 Kia Spectra for one year now and so far zero troubles. My dealer even gave me free lifetime oil changes. That scared me because I thought they would use it as an excuse to perform "other" service on it whenever I take it in, and so far they haven't tried to pin me for anything else. :)

The *only* thing bad about KIA (in my opinion) is the resale value. You may as well consider it disposable.

commOdog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: aswedc
Originally posted by: commOdog
well i lived in seoul, s. korea for 2 years so actually quite a few
Well living in South Korea you should have known Kia is the second biggest automaker.

I'm not going to run around getting perfectly aligned stats but here are some figures I pulled from Google.

In Feb 2005 S Korean domestic auto sales totaled 72,078.

In Oct 2002 Kia's Korean sales totaled 34,248.

Yeah, Korean's don't even drive Kia's :roll:

Can I get a pwned?

Well lets see since you took the time to look up stats..

The population of S Korea is about 48 million.
Total number of vehicles in S Korea exceeds 15 million.
Of that, only 72,000 decided to buy a Kia,

48,000,000 Koreans
15,000,000 Vehicles
72,000 Kia's
------------------------------------
= Not a lot of Koreans driving Kia's

And for the record, I don't ever remember seeing any Kia's on the road.
Lots of Daewoo's, Hyundai's, Renault's and mopeds.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: csundar
isn't kia a ford subsidiary??

ROFL!!!!

I've seen to many smoking Sedonas on the highway. I'll stick to my Pontiac if I want a cut rate priced, mediocre van

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Originally posted by: aswedc
well i lived in seoul, s. korea for 2 years so actually quite a few
Well living in South Korea you should have known Kia is the second biggest automaker.

I'm not going to run around getting perfectly aligned stats but here are some figures I pulled from Google.

In Feb 2005 S Korean domestic auto sales totaled 72,078.

In Oct 2002 Kia's Korean sales totaled 34,248.

Yeah, Korean's don't even drive Kia's :roll:

Can I get a pwned?

Well lets see since you took the time to look up stats..

The population of S Korea is about 48 million.
Total number of vehicles in S Korea exceeds 15 million.
Of that, only 72,000 decided to buy a Kia,

48,000,000 Koreans
15,000,000 Vehicles
72,000 Kia's
------------------------------------
= Not a lot of Koreans driving Kia's

And for the record, I don't ever remember seeing any Kia's on the road.
Lots of Daewoo's, Hyundai's, Renault's and mopeds.
Uh no. 34,248 Kia's out of 72,078 vehicles sold monthly. That's 47%.

commOdog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
both our posts are wrong actually since the 72k was total domestic sales by 5 carmakers in Feb 05, the 34k you are talking about was 3 years earlier:

Hyundai's affiliate Kia Motors Corp. said its February sales fell 2.4 percent to 80,562 units, with local sales
falling 21 percent from a year ago.

here is the link
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0503/03/autos-105375.htm

but for the record and since arguing on the internet over an off the cuff comment is farking retarded, and anyone can use google, I'll just let people make up their own minds.

But the 2 things to remember are :

Hyundai = Hyundai
Kia = Killed in Automobile

kuritadelta

Aug 3, 2001
I am a Korean, so I'll fill you guys on a little secret.
Generally, Koreans in US don't buy Korean auto(keep reading)
You be hard to find a Korean that will argue that Hyundai/Kia is better than Toyota/Honda for example.
But one thing to remember is the price.. Most Koreans in US are pretty well off and can afford to pay for better cars. Those on a strict budget DO buy Korean auto because well it's really good for the price now.

In Korea is totally different than US as you might imagine.
First, most(and I mean almost all) koreans trade their cars in, or just get rid of it within 5 years.
There is no such thing as "vintage car" in Korea. Old cars simply won't do in Korea.

There's foreign market that is growing also, Auto makers that are in S.Korea are BMW, Cadillac, Audi, Lexus, Chevy(or GM?), Honda(but not Acura), etc.. Only rich people can afford foreign cars in Korea because, TAXed foreign made cars are REALLY expensive compared to Korean made.

I am a Korean and I drive Acura now.
But when I was a student, I bought chevys,ford,nissan, etc.. I hate em all except Toyotas and Hondas(and couple makes that I haven't experienced or will never experince)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: xobitx
hyundai is a sub of ford. Kia are made in Korea.

Eh no, Hyundai is a Korean automaker just like KIA is...

ESQ

Dec 4, 1999
The Federal Trade Commission has a set of guidlines for these types of offers. It is interesting to note that KIA cannot jack-up the price to MSRP to recover the cost of the free car.

Sec. 251.1(b)(1) states, "[W]hen the purchaser is told that an article is "Free" to him if another article is purchased, the word "Free" indicates that he is paying nothing for that article and no more than the regular price for the other. Thus, a purchaser has a right to believe that the merchant will not directly and immediately recover, in whole or in part, the cost of the free merchandise or service by marking up the price of the article which must be purchased..."

Regular price means "the price, in the same quantity, quality and with the same service, at which the seller or advertiser of the product or service has openly and actively sold the product or service in the geographic market or trade area in which he is making a "Free" or similar offer in the most recent and regular course of business, for a reasonably substantial period of time, i.e., a 30-day period. For consumer products or services which fluctuate in price, the "regular" price shall be the lowest price at which any substantial sales were made during the aforesaid 30-day period." (Sec. 251.1(b)(2).)

Also, this is probably illegal as Sec. 251.1(g) states, "Negotiated sales. If a product or service usually is sold at a price arrived at through bargaining, rather than at a regular price, it is improper to represent that another product or service is being offered "Free" with the sale."

Here's a link.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/free.htm

Samus

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: csundar
isn't kia a ford subsidiary??

Traditionally they use Mazda engines, like Hyundai used Mitsubishi engines in the 80's and early 90's, and Daewoo buys their engines from GM.

Keep in mind that since all of these manufactures produce front wheel drive (FWD) configuration vehicles only (not laterally mounted engines) they also buy the drivetrans from these manufactures, and these manufactures make excellent transmissions (with the exception of GM automatics I suppose.)

Daewoo Nubira = GM Cavalier driveplant
Kia Rio = Mazda 323 driveplant
Hyundai Sonata V6 = Mitsubishi Galant 3.0 driveplant (pre97)
Hyundai Accent = Mitsubishi Diamante driveplant (pre94)

Samus

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: czech09
Originally posted by: AnyMal
I'll take Kia/Hyundai over Ford/GM crap any day

That makes 2 of us...

I'd definately buy another Hyundai after my first (and current) Sonata. They're made out of 80% domestic material and are built here as well, so where are most of the profits really going? America.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Samus
Originally posted by: czech09
Originally posted by: AnyMal
I'll take Kia/Hyundai over Ford/GM crap any day

That makes 2 of us...

I'd definately buy another Hyundai after my first (and current) Sonata. They're made out of 80% domestic material and are built here as well, so where are most of the profits really going? America.
Don't forget where the profits for the domestics really go - the most overpaid executives in the world. GM and Ford stockholders sure aren't getting any.

Vellmont

Sep 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Dentilicious
KIA, Hyundai, Ford, Chevy, Buick, Daewoo, etc...they're all POS compred to Honda, Toyota and Nissan realiability and build quality wise.

They're also a lot more expensive. Honda, Toyota, and Nissan know they have a quality product and charge more for it because they can.

But people still buy those cars over the others. Cars are 50%need/50%want and people will choose what they think looks "cool", "cute", or "tight." Whatevers.....
Maybe you have a lot of disposable income and never think about it, but the major factor of people buying cars is price. Cool and cute are important to some people, but affordability is a major factor for most.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Aww, why are people bashing on KIAs so much? My forum name comes from the fact that I own a 1996 KIA Sportage on which I have only 1 complaint: 0-60 in 18+ seconds. I know it is a low end car, I abuse that thing like tomorrow will never come. Aside from one of my spark plugs flying off (168,000 miles with no TUNEUP!!!) it has been great to me. I still drive it around like a crap car in the mud, revving to redline, etc. The poor thing has shown me loyalty since day 1.

Oh, I know the engine is not KIA (rather MAZDA) but did I mention I still pull 24-28 MPG? W00T!

I recently bought a Honda Civic EX and it rox! Unfortunately, I now have to worry about the car, wether it will get scratches, or it will get dirty, or I have to wash it all the time, or the OIL changes on time, yikes!!!!

Bekker

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2000
I am wondering if this is truly a national promotion because I am located by a major Kia dealer (Kias are everywhere in that city) and none of his advertising mentions anything about this deal ... he is a very aggressive advertiser on TV and in newspaper, so if anyone would promote it, he would. Guess I could call and see but am not in the market. My guess is that it is regional and used only in markets where Kia has to move unsold vans, but that's just my 2 cents worth (2 cents doesn't buy what it used to).

Stoerm

Mar 24, 2003
My mom had a Kia. It wasn't a great car, by any means, but did go about 60k miles without trouble before she traded it in. Evidently, they use Mazda engines in some of their cars and they work quite well.

If you're looking for two cars and they haven't jacked up the MSRP on the minivan, this is a nice deal.

saimike

Oct 30, 2000
u guys can be so silly. its a free car. so what if its kia. it can be a yugo for all i care. if u dont like it, sell it without driving a mile and u'll prob still pocket a good pile of cash.

dont forget, these comments here were the same comments used to label japanese cars 40years ago. look where they are now.

Burn2619

Sep 15, 2004
Ok folks lighten up on the KIA. I have a ford festiva that I use for work since travel is over 125 miles round trip and it saves a ton of gas I get 38-43mpg in this puppy. Now the festiva is nothing more than a KIA thats been ford stamped. The cars got a little over 300,000 miles on it and is 93 model and runs like day one. It burns ZERO oil and I loved them soo much that I bought up 5 broken ones just to make one or two more good ones. I own alot of cars and trucks and of them all I don't think I would trade my ford stamped KIA for any in the world. Now I'm not familiar with the two models talked about here but to call the entire company crap or worse is pretty lame.

MrLuckyPants

Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: BUSTaMOD
My cousin was going to get a Sedona, is there a online link for this deal?

Not that I've seen. He'll want to talk to his local dealer and see if they are participating in the promotion.

Edit: Woo-hoo! My 100th post... :beer:

bash125

Feb 24, 2001
Ok it is simple you are paying for two cars. The Kia sedona is $21K I just bought one for $15K (just did a good job haggling $3k rebate was included in that) I have seen the Kia Rio advertised for $6k (manual no A/C get you in the door bait switch (there is also a $1k rebate)

So you are paying a good price on two vehicles.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BUSTaMOD
My cousin was going to get a Sedona, is there a online link for this deal?

Some dealers have an online link, what is your cousin's zip code and I'll find it for you.

Remember they'll have to pay FULL RETAIL MSRP in order to get the "free car".