Keyboard sensitivity dilemma (Acer Nitro 5)

ltuser

Sep 13, 2020
Hi

I have a new Acer Nitro 5 (i5-10300H, GTX 1650, 17" screen model), had it for about a month now. What I've been wondering about the most is the keyboard. Specifically, and put short: I'm not sure whether it's SUPPOSED to be like that, whether it's partly in my head or what, but with this particular keyboard I seem to get a lot more missed strokes, weird typos etc., in general the keyboard feels weird. Most prominently I've noticed that I really need to lift my fingers completely off the keys and tap them relatively hard compared to what I'm used to. With my other laptop, an older, cheaper Asus model, I've never noticed any problems at all and it for example DOES reliably register keystrokes from just gently pushing down the keys (not lifting and _tapping_). I haven't really noticed this type of problem with any other keyboard either, old style desktop keyboards like the one I'm on now require more force but that's to be expected for something that has so much more travel. They feel fine though, I can anticipate the travel and type just fine. But this new Acer laptop... it "misfires" a lot.

Can anyone provide any insight? Experience with the same or similar Acer model? Again, I'm wondering many things... is it supposed to be like that, is it broken, is it even a driver/firmware issue possibly? One thing I can tell from the surface is that the top cover flexes slightly. I also thought it could be purely mechanic, something like the screws are loose on the inside side.

This has been bothering me since I could've already added an extra stick of RAM I have but I haven't wanted to open it myself in case I in fact have to return the whole machine because of the keyboard. (They might complain about warranty etc. stuff if I touch it)

Thoughts?

ltuser

Sep 13, 2020
Okay...? Any more insight? Do you mean it is actually supposed to feel like that and this is not because of a possible fault? Do you have a lot of experience with different and particularly Acer laptop keyboards?

I wouldn't even say it's "crap" so directly. All the keys work, they also all work and feel pretty much the same. The question is just the feel. One thing for example is that it will not register the stroke *at all* if you tap the edge of the key (even with more force), you need to hit the center. It feels different from most other keyboards I've used but is by no means "impossible to type on" or anything like that.

The even more important and central question is still: is it SUPPOSED to feel like that, or is there something wrong with it that could possibly be fixed?

I assume the different Nitro models (at least Nitro 5) including at least the immediately previous model have the same keyboard so experiences from owners would be extremely welcome.

Thanks

ltuser

Sep 13, 2020
Anyone? Anyone else have a Nitro 5? Is it possible or realistic that the keyboard could be fixed or improved? Through software, firmware, whatever?

The thing is, what I could do is just return the machine. I'm not one to send it off somewhere to be "repaired", which takes 3 weeks, when I actually have the option of just returning it. They'll charge a minimal amount because they'll need to reset everything but I don't really care.

And I guess even more the thing is... the problem is really JUST the keyboard. Otherwise the performance, features, connectors, etc. equal or exceed other similarly priced laptops as far as I know. So what should I do? If this keyboard really just is this bad and there's nothing that can be done... what other laptop under 1000 bucks would you then suggest?

Thank you

Reactions: james234298

christian.blois

Oct 17, 2020
I just bought this nitro 5, and I'm experiencing the same with the keyboard. I don't know if it is flawed or it's the way it is, buy I prefer much better my old Dell compared to this. What did you do?

ltuser

Sep 13, 2020
I just bought this nitro 5, and I'm experiencing the same with the keyboard. I don't know if it is flawed or it's the way it is, buy I prefer much better my old Dell compared to this. What did you do?

Hi, as I couldn't find any help or tips anywhere... I eventually had no choice but to return it to the dealer. Luckily I was able to do that without too much trouble (they advertise it totally like "try it at home for 30 days, full money back guarantee!" ...despite that, they still tried to weasel their way out of it and say it should be "repaired" instead...) . but they did give me the refund.

What I'm still doing, is looking for something else similar and that seems to be incredibly difficult at the moment. One thing is that everything's out of stock, the other is the usual: Asus' fan noise is unbearable and their software/support sucks, MSI would probably be good but no one's offering them for whatever reason... I guess this should be another topic: reasonably powerful laptop, 17" screen, good keyboard (with backlight), GOOD cooling (meaning it shuts the F up when completely idle... looking at you Asus). I might occasionally record audio, so the fans going crazy and having no control over them is a big no. I'm actually a bit surprised that these days the features seem to be limited to "gaming" notebooks. I do play games, but what comes to this laptop I'm looking for, that's definitely secondary.

I wouldn't rule out getting another Nitro 5 and somehow modding/exchanging the keyboard myself, IF I could find some info for reference. Aka has someone done stuff like that and could that actually WORK?

akaBBoB

Jan 2, 2021
I am facing the same problem. My Nitro's lack of keyboard sensitivity means missed keystrokes and it’s driving me insane.

Took it to the store (Harvey Norman), they tested it for like a minute or two, probably typing harder than typical, so they couldn't reproduce the problem. They said they can conduct an official test it, but that will take a 2 day turnaround and if there is no fault I have to pay for the test. It's a problem in the design, and so it will probably not be considered a fault.

Seems like I am stuck with an annoying laptop. :mad:

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I presume you've tried to adjust the keyboard sensitivity in Windows 10 under the Keyboard app in Control Panel?

If so and it didn't help, you are left with few choices as Acer probably just used the cheapest crappy keyboard they could source in the design to increase their unit margins.

Either return the laptop (if you are within the return period), or if you use it primarily at fixed locations pick up an external USB keyboard to use with it and just live with the problem when on the move. You could also try contacting Acer to do a warranty RMA if it is still under warranty.

If it is out of warranty, you could also try to purchase a new replacement keyboard and install it yourself (it will be hit and miss whether this would help, though).

Last edited:

akaBBoB

Jan 2, 2021
Hey @Steltek
Thanks for replying.

I've poked around the keyboard settings. Nothing there to tweak.

I had my IT tech friend try it out. He agrees, the keyboard sucks. But it's a matter of personal preference and won't suit the way some people (me) type. But it's not a manufacturing fault.

Harvey Norman has no consumer satisfaction guarantee so they won't issue me a refund/exchange.

Shame, I thought a decent laptop keyboard would be standard.

Just gotta live with it now. Rely on an external keyboard like you said.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I haven't used a modern laptop with what I consider to be a decent keyboard in many years. Every time they try to make them thinner and lighter, the keyboards just end up sucking even worse.

My carry around laptop is 10+ year old Dell Latitude E4310. It is heavy (for a 13.3" screen) and slow, but it has what I consider a relatively decent keyboard (would have been better if it had a dedicated keypad, but the laptop was simply too small for that). I haven't replaced it because my needs are modest since I retired, and I couldn't stand hauling a laptop and external keyboard around to type on away from home.

Last edited:

sealanlo

Jan 21, 2021
Hello, having the same problem with my nitro 5, core i5 9300H, RTX 2060, tinkered with it and installed a M.2 drive before nticing the problem, so I guess I'm out of guarantee, anyway, the keyboard sucks, same problem, every keystroke requires a full pressure on the center of the key otherwise it won't register, a shame since I'm a fast typist and I'm getting a lot of unregistered keystrokes, tried a different unit on a local store and it was the same, my current nitro 5 has the US keyboard, the one on the store had a LA keyboard, still the same, found some replacemente keyboards on aliexpress but I don't know if it will be worth the effort to try and do a change, what do you guys think, in the meanwhile I've got another laptop for writing and working.

sealanlo

Jan 21, 2021
Hello, I just decided to take off every key one by one and apply a little dot of silicone glue, let it dry and after it the feel in every keystroke is a little dull but the missing keystrokes are gone for good, I guess Acer R&D is just lazy. the silicone glue dot filled a gap that was causing the missed keystrokes.

joancarvajal

Feb 7, 2021
THIS I typed very strong:
I just received an Acer Nitro Core I5 10th Gen from de Acer Store at Amazon. I have been testing the Keyboard, the issue is simple, if you dont hit the key strong enough, you will miss the key. It is a SHAME that a very complete computer has this lame and faulty keyboard. I had a DELL Inspiron Laptop, and the difference in the keyboard is from heaven to earth.

This I typed like I type:
I just receied an Aer Nitro Core I5 10th Gen from the Aer Store at Amazon I have been testing the Keyboard the issue is simple, if you don hit the key strong nough, you wll miss the key. t is a SHAME that a very complete computer has this lame and faulty keyboard. I had a Dell Inspiron Laptop, and the difference in the keyboard is fr heave to earth.

Brain2000

Jun 5, 2021
I've been having an issue typing on both my home and work systems recently, with my home being the Nitro 5.
Today I updated from Windows 10 20H2 to Windows 10 21H1 and the typing issue seems to have subsided.
I just clocked 110wpm at 97% accuracy on the Nitro 5! I couldn't even hit 100 prior.

That would suggest that this may have been a Windows 10 20H2 issue, but without rolling it back to compare, I cannot say with 100% certainty that was it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
look, keyboard settings are really basic. There's repetition delay and repetition rate, that's it. Everything else is dictated by the physical keyboard.
Now, it's totally possible that your previous install had some weird situation that affected your typing, but this would have been obvious in on-screen lag. My guess, placebo effect.

typed on a £218 Topre Realforce.

emir0723

Sep 24, 2021
Hi everyone, I bought the laptop yesterday and I'm having the same problem. After reading all this comments, I guess our "problem" is same in every model?

I would love to do the silocone thing but it would cancel my warranty so not a thing to do for me. I guess there is only one option left, which is buying a portable keyboard?