• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."
  • Community Question: What makes a good motherboard?

Keyboard sensitivity dilemma (Acer Nitro 5)

ltuser

Sep 13, 2020
Hi

I have a new Acer Nitro 5 (i5-10300H, GTX 1650, 17" screen model), had it for about a month now. What I've been wondering about the most is the keyboard. Specifically, and put short: I'm not sure whether it's SUPPOSED to be like that, whether it's partly in my head or what, but with this particular keyboard I seem to get a lot more missed strokes, weird typos etc., in general the keyboard feels weird. Most prominently I've noticed that I really need to lift my fingers completely off the keys and tap them relatively hard compared to what I'm used to. With my other laptop, an older, cheaper Asus model, I've never noticed any problems at all and it for example DOES reliably register keystrokes from just gently pushing down the keys (not lifting and _tapping_). I haven't really noticed this type of problem with any other keyboard either, old style desktop keyboards like the one I'm on now require more force but that's to be expected for something that has so much more travel. They feel fine though, I can anticipate the travel and type just fine. But this new Acer laptop... it "misfires" a lot.

Can anyone provide any insight? Experience with the same or similar Acer model? Again, I'm wondering many things... is it supposed to be like that, is it broken, is it even a driver/firmware issue possibly? One thing I can tell from the surface is that the top cover flexes slightly. I also thought it could be purely mechanic, something like the screws are loose on the inside side.

This has been bothering me since I could've already added an extra stick of RAM I have but I haven't wanted to open it myself in case I in fact have to return the whole machine because of the keyboard. (They might complain about warranty etc. stuff if I touch it)

Thoughts?

ltuser

Sep 13, 2020
Okay...? Any more insight? Do you mean it is actually supposed to feel like that and this is not because of a possible fault? Do you have a lot of experience with different and particularly Acer laptop keyboards?

I wouldn't even say it's "crap" so directly. All the keys work, they also all work and feel pretty much the same. The question is just the feel. One thing for example is that it will not register the stroke *at all* if you tap the edge of the key (even with more force), you need to hit the center. It feels different from most other keyboards I've used but is by no means "impossible to type on" or anything like that.

The even more important and central question is still: is it SUPPOSED to feel like that, or is there something wrong with it that could possibly be fixed?

I assume the different Nitro models (at least Nitro 5) including at least the immediately previous model have the same keyboard so experiences from owners would be extremely welcome.

Thanks

ltuser

Sep 13, 2020
Anyone? Anyone else have a Nitro 5? Is it possible or realistic that the keyboard could be fixed or improved? Through software, firmware, whatever?

The thing is, what I could do is just return the machine. I'm not one to send it off somewhere to be "repaired", which takes 3 weeks, when I actually have the option of just returning it. They'll charge a minimal amount because they'll need to reset everything but I don't really care.

And I guess even more the thing is... the problem is really JUST the keyboard. Otherwise the performance, features, connectors, etc. equal or exceed other similarly priced laptops as far as I know. So what should I do? If this keyboard really just is this bad and there's nothing that can be done... what other laptop under 1000 bucks would you then suggest?

Thank you

christian.blois

Oct 17, 2020
I just bought this nitro 5, and I'm experiencing the same with the keyboard. I don't know if it is flawed or it's the way it is, buy I prefer much better my old Dell compared to this. What did you do?

ltuser

Sep 13, 2020
I just bought this nitro 5, and I'm experiencing the same with the keyboard. I don't know if it is flawed or it's the way it is, buy I prefer much better my old Dell compared to this. What did you do?
Hi, as I couldn't find any help or tips anywhere... I eventually had no choice but to return it to the dealer. Luckily I was able to do that without too much trouble (they advertise it totally like "try it at home for 30 days, full money back guarantee!" ...despite that, they still tried to weasel their way out of it and say it should be "repaired" instead...) . but they did give me the refund.

What I'm still doing, is looking for something else similar and that seems to be incredibly difficult at the moment. One thing is that everything's out of stock, the other is the usual: Asus' fan noise is unbearable and their software/support sucks, MSI would probably be good but no one's offering them for whatever reason... I guess this should be another topic: reasonably powerful laptop, 17" screen, good keyboard (with backlight), GOOD cooling (meaning it shuts the F up when completely idle... looking at you Asus). I might occasionally record audio, so the fans going crazy and having no control over them is a big no. I'm actually a bit surprised that these days the features seem to be limited to "gaming" notebooks. I do play games, but what comes to this laptop I'm looking for, that's definitely secondary.

I wouldn't rule out getting another Nitro 5 and somehow modding/exchanging the keyboard myself, IF I could find some info for reference. Aka has someone done stuff like that and could that actually WORK?

ASK THE COMMUNITY