Key House Democrat Formally Asks For Trump's Tax Returns

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's funny how you think Congress attempting to find out if anyone is bribing the president is a 'BS attack'.
I still don't see how that would show up in a tax return. I just did my taxes, I didn't list where all my money came from. It was all "revenue". I'm going to guess spy's and drug lords don't send 1099's.

This is all so much wishful thinking, you can't see it, so you assume it's criminal. Half the country is obsessed with this foolishness, and it's not going to go anywhere.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I still don't see how that would show up in a tax return. I just did my taxes, I didn't list where all my money came from. It was all "revenue". I'm going to guess spy's and drug lords don't send 1099's.

Yes you did. You have to include your W2, 1099, and other forms that disclose the sources of the income you are claiming. Do you really think the IRS just trusts you to tell them how much income you have with no documentation?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

You absolutely must disclose the sources of your income. If you do not have this information and you end up being audited you could be in for a world of hurt. So yes, of course we will see where the money came from in Trump's tax returns, that much is certain. The real issue is that his tax returns are (from my understanding) just a shitload of LLCs, each with their own tax returns. They also must declare the sources of their income, which in many cases will be other LLCs. You then have to go pull their returns, etc, etc.

I don't think it will be easy to track down who is paying Trump because I suspect he (and likely his counterparties) have made it deliberately difficult to do so. That's all the more reason Congress should have started this investigation years ago.

This is all so much wishful thinking, you can't see it, so you assume it's criminal. Half the country is obsessed with this foolishness, and it's not going to go anywhere.

Did you already forget how the NYT uncovered tens or hundreds of millions of dollars worth of tax fraud by Trump and his father using... you guessed it... his tax returns? Like, the thing you're calling wishful thinking literally already happened.

What do you think is more likely to be wishful thinking, the fact that Trump is desperately holding on by his fingernails against any attempt to release his tax returns because there's nothing in them, or that Trump has continued with the same criminal behaviors we already caught him doing in the past? What does common sense say?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Trump can't be a convicted criminal right now as the AG is not America's Lawyer, but a political extension of Trump with law enforcement powers, or non-enforcement as the case may be.

But he is a criminal as confirmed by a court in the Cohen case. How much more lies beneath? That remains to not be seen if Trump has his way.

But your analysis is incorrect. Trump isn't you and his business dealings are subject to discovery. If you think all of Trump's lawyer and accountants have is "revenue" on a 1099 then you don't run an international business concern. Besides you are demonstrably wrong in your statements according to Trump's mouthpiece, Sarah Sanders. Trump's taxes are more complicated that one of the three branches of the federal government can understand. Evidently, the accountants, prosecutors who are members of Congress aren't intellectually able to process them, nor the entire resources of the United States that they can call upon by implication. Forensic accountants that brought down entire criminal empires are mere idiots compared to Trump's supporting documentation.

So Trump's taxes are as difficult as solving the mysteries of the universe or are as simple as what's on a 1099?

Really?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Did you already forget how the NYT uncovered tens or hundreds of millions of dollars worth of tax fraud by Trump and his father using... you guessed it... his tax returns? Like, the thing you're calling wishful thinking literally already happened.

Barr may protect Trump to the point that he is omnipotent as far as immunity at the fed level, but my oh my NY is going to bust his ass as long as Cuomo stays out of it.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It's funny how you think Congress attempting to find out if anyone is bribing the president is a 'BS attack'.

Yea, I'm sure a bribe will stand out on a billionaire's tax return. How much money would it take to bribe someone that already has it all? You actually think this is a legit investigation, your desperation is showing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yea, I'm sure a bribe will stand out on a billionaire's tax return. How much money would it take to bribe someone that already has it all? You actually think this is a legit investigation, your desperation is showing.

Speaking of desperation showing, using the argument of 'you can't bribe someone who is already rich' is one of the most obviously, laughably false statements I've ever heard. Many, many rich people have gone to jail for criminal activity as a result of efforts to get a bit more. As for what it would take to bribe Trump I suspect that number is probably pretty small. After all, hilariously, Trump once took the time to cash a 13 cent check.

Regardless, if Trump has nothing to hide then he has no reason to fight tooth and nail against the release of his tax returns to the relevant committees. This is basic good government oversight and all his hysterical flailing against it is doing is making him look more and more guilty.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
There's another argument for seeing Trump's returns that we didn't have in 2016, and that is to answer this question: how much has Trump personally benefited from his own tax cut? Remember, Trump said he wouldn't benefit at all.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Speaking of desperation showing, using the argument of 'you can't bribe someone who is already rich' is one of the most obviously, laughably false statements I've ever heard. Many, many rich people have gone to jail for criminal activity as a result of efforts to get a bit more. As for what it would take to bribe Trump I suspect that number is probably pretty small. After all, hilariously, Trump once took the time to cash a 13 cent check.

Regardless, if Trump has nothing to hide then he has no reason to fight tooth and nail against the release of his tax returns to the relevant committees. This is basic good government oversight and all his hysterical flailing against it is doing is making him look more and more guilty.

It's not about being rational, ethically or intellectually honest, it's about attempting to troll. That applies to some here at AT as well.

In a former better nation than we have now, it would generally be recognized that witness intimidation is a prosecutable offense.

We've become a joke without a punchline.

Reactions: Bitek

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's not about being rational, ethically or intellectually honest, it's about attempting to troll. That applies to some here at AT as well.

In a former better nation than we have now, it would generally be recognized that witness intimidation is a prosecutable offense.

We've become a joke without a punchline.

Yup. We finally reached the tipping point where a political party puts the party before the country. In a system like ours that depends on the political branches to hold each other accountable that’s poison.

It seems like there isn’t a week that goes by where it doesn’t come out, yet again, that Republicans at all levels of government know Trump is catastrophically unfit for office but because they value their position more than their oath of office they won’t come out and publicly fight against him.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I agree, he meets the qualifications to be president. A Hillary staffer started that movement in 2008. But alas, it was a witch hunt, I agree. Just like today's bs attacks by the left on Trump.
Hey lying asswipe, for the 500th time a Hillary staffer just forwarded an email with that info and they were fired.

Trump became birther in chief along with Fox News promoting that racist bullshit. That's why people like you grew to love him

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You absolutely must disclose the sources of your income. If you do not have this information and you end up being audited you could be in for a world of hurt. So yes, of course we will see where the money came from in Trump's tax returns, that much is certain. The real issue is that his tax returns are (from my understanding) just a shitload of LLCs, each with their own tax returns. They also must declare the sources of their income, which in many cases will be other LLCs. You then have to go pull their returns, etc, etc.

I don't think it will be easy to track down who is paying Trump because I suspect he (and likely his counterparties) have made it deliberately difficult to do so. That's all the more reason Congress should have started this investigation years ago.

What do you think is more likely to be wishful thinking, the fact that Trump is desperately holding on by his fingernails against any attempt to release his tax returns because there's nothing in them, or that Trump has continued with the same criminal behaviors we already caught him doing in the past? What does common sense say?
One of the keys to unraveling this mess is Deutsche Bank. Remember after all of Trump's bankruptcies they were the only bank willing to lend Trump money. Deutsche Bank has already been found guilty of being hip deep in Russian money laundering.

Reactions: Bitek

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Having the House turn blue must be Trump's worst nightmare come true. Yet there he is living in a fantasy world where his blatant lies should be taken as facts, where his words that so often contradict themselves somehow makes perfect sense, where his frequent take backs and walk backs totally exonerates him for the consequences of making a damn fool of himself in the first place and where his manic occupation with building a stupid wall that does absolutely nothing toward effectively preventing "illegals because that's what they are" from crossing over.

He tries so hard to keep promises he made that addresses the racist hate and fear he instilled in his supporters because he's using his efforts in this regard to deflect and divert away from the fact that the other empty promises he made about giving the middle class "a big tax cut" was a lie along with every other empty promise he's made that in effect would reverse the trend of his favoring the greed of the wealthy over the essential needs of his working class constituency.

Although it's not as if his supporters are pinning him against the White House walls over it as well as having Mexico pay for that other beyoootiful dream wall "all across the southern border".

I've never had so many WTF moments in my life while observing Trump's antics.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yup. We finally reached the tipping point where a political party puts the party before the country. In a system like ours that depends on the political branches to hold each other accountable that’s poison.

It seems like there isn’t a week that goes by where it doesn’t come out, yet again, that Republicans at all levels of government know Trump is catastrophically unfit for office but because they value their position more than their oath of office they won’t come out and publicly fight against him.

The GOP has methodically crazified their base since Gingrich, at least, to keep 'em voting for that good old trickle down. Every wedge issue they could conjure up & amplify. They thought they could always control it. When Trump saw it for what it is & leaped to the top of that mountain of lies there was nothing they could do to stop him.

Reactions: Uhtrinity

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Barr may protect Trump to the point that he is omnipotent as far as immunity at the fed level, but my oh my NY is going to bust his ass as long as Cuomo stays out of it.
I can't imagine why his sister just retired from the bench when that particular investigation was getting close. Who knew only federal judges are above the law when they retire. I'm sure there's a good and simple reason for it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
One of the keys to unraveling this mess is Deutsche Bank. Remember after all of Trump's bankruptcies they were the only bank willing to lend Trump money. Deutsche Bank has already been found guilty of being hip deep in Russian money laundering.

We know for basically a fact that Trump committed tax fraud in the past and I see no evidence he's become more law abiding since then. As to the specifics of what's going on now who knows? He certainly acts incredibly, incredibly guilty but it will take a long time to unravel whatever he's got going on there.

That's the whole point though - we have no idea if the president is or has recently been committing crimes. That means we have no idea what sort of influence could be exerted over him by entities that do not have the US' best interests at heart. Even if they find Trump did absolutely nothing wrong this is an absolutely vital good government exercise because you don't just take someone's word for it.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The GOP has methodically crazified their base since Gingrich, at least, to keep 'em voting for that good old trickle down. Every wedge issue they could conjure up & amplify. They thought they could always control it. When Trump saw it for what it is & leaped to the top of that mountain of lies there was nothing they could do to stop him.

Stop him? It caused them to get hard-ons so strong that Pfizer's stock dropped 15%!

Reactions: dank69

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I can't imagine why his sister just retired from the bench when that particular investigation was getting close. Who knew only federal judges are above the law when they retire. I'm sure there's a good and simple reason for it.
Yes, it's almost election season and Drumpf can't have his sister dis-barred or whatever when he claimed she would be a great SC Justice, his base might actually figure that one out.

Feb 4, 2009

To me it’s not really about finding a bribe (but that is possible) it’s more about who is buying bulk hotel & club memberships and how much are they over paying. Also I would like to know if the President owes anyone or bank or organization enormous money. All of the above isn’t saying it’s illegal but it sure would be nice to know how the President stands on deals or taxes with an organization that he may owe billions to.
That’s just basic ethics stuff.

To be clear I’m not interested if the President bounced a check or paid a vendor late or what’s on his credit card or even something that may appear to be a bribe provided it’s small money.
I’m interested in what the hell is going on and whom he owes or may owe him large sums of money.

Last edited:

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
To me it’s not really about finding a bribe (but that is possible) it’s more about who is buying bulk hotel & club memberships and how much are they over paying. Also I would like to know if the President owes anyone or bank or organization enormous money. All of the above isn’t saying it’s illegal but it sure would be nice to know how the President stands on deals or taxes with an organization that he may owe billions to.
That’s just basic ethics stuff.
Like the guy from Russia that bought a home from Donny that Trump paid $14 million for, did zero renovation on it, literally had weeds growing on it and sold it to him for $50 million.

Feb 4, 2009
Like the guy from Russia that bought a home from Donny that Trump paid $14 million for, did zero renovation on it, literally had weeds growing on it and sold it to him for $50 million.

That’s already know because stuff like that is public record but yeah that is the idea.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

The statute of limitations ran out long ago over the flim-flammery involved in the generational transfer of wealth in the Trump family. They got away with it. Crime does pay when done well.

There is no statute of limitations wrt judicial conduct reviews & there's no point in reviewing the conduct of a retired judge.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I'm waiting for Menuchen to be put in handcuffs for defying the subpoena.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
The statute of limitations ran out long ago over the flim-flammery involved in the generational transfer of wealth in the Trump family. They got away with it. Crime does pay when done well.

There is no statute of limitations wrt judicial conduct reviews & there's no point in reviewing the conduct of a retired judge.
there is no SoL on on being able to sue for back taxes so they could lose their fortune anyways.

https://www.optimataxrelief.com/tax-evasion-fraud-statute-limitations/