Key House Democrat Formally Asks For Trump's Tax Returns

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
You need to watch the news, and I previously gave you an example of a member of Congress calling for a copy of the unredacted report.

Fern

Yes, Congress and the Public are different. Congress people who have security clearances should be able to see the full unredacted report.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Yes, Congress and the Public are different. Congress people who have security clearances should be able to see the full unredacted report.

Well, you can see why Fern would be nervous since Republicans tend to leak things or portions of things all the time. lol.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The AG does not have the authority to release the full report because:

1. Grand Jury material cannot be released (I think there is a limited exception and it requires the judge to do so, not the AG)

2. It was a counter-intelligence investigation. Thus there will be classified info that cannot be released.

3. The Special Counsel rules written by Congress under Janet Reno forbid it.

These restrictions on the AG are all from laws passed by Congress. Some of the current longer-term members passed these laws.

(A possible 4th would be Exec Priv, but I understand that will not asserted.)

As regards "exoneration". Investgators/prosecuters do NOT exonerate. They charge or don't charge. No where along the line in our criminal justice system is anybody ever exonerated. You are charged or not charged; you are indicted or not indicted ("true bill" or no "true bill): you are guilty or not guilty.

Fern

Excuse me, but DoJ policy is that a sitting president cannot be indicted. That never was the purpose of the report. The purpose is to find facts & furnish them to Congress. Normal rules of jurisprudence simply do not apply. Members of the House judiciary & intelligence committees have the highest security clearances & deal quite properly with classified national security information on a regular basis. This is no different.

If the people who did the work & wrote the report find Barr's redactions to be egregious I'm sure they won't be shy in saying so to Congress. If they don't close ranks behind Barr the shit will hit the fan, rightfully so. It's not Barr's place to actively protect Trump at all. The AG isn't the President's lawyer but rather the People's lawyer.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
there might be clues to Trump having committed financial crimes in his returns.

I'm sure that he has but uncertain how well his accountants were able to hide it.

What I think that his egotastic self is more concerned about is the likely (imho) reveal that he is nowhere near as Wealthy as he claims to be.

_________

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
there might be clues to Trump having committed financial crimes in his returns.

I'm sure that he has but uncertain how well his accountants were able to hide it.

What I think that his egotastic self is more concerned about is the likely (imho) reveal that he is nowhere near as Wealthy as he claims to be.

_________
More than likely that he's been financed by foreign interests which we already know is true since no US bank will loan him money.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

It's way past time for Congress to make some examples out of these shitbirds. The republican view towards crime and punishment for the populace needs to apply to them, otherwise we're always going to be dealing with republican crooks spending their careers corrupting our democracy and economy.

Want to give the Constitution / checks and balances the finger? Ok then, enjoy your time with Thunder Dick in gen pop.

Reactions: dank69

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
More than likely that he's been financed by foreign interests which we already know is true since no US bank will loan him money.
Sadly, we probably won't know about the bags of cash that were collected during the Inaugural. Well, cause they are bags of untraceable cash. Lots of Russian, Ukrainian, and China (apparently now) money.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Is *this* the method that is finally going to get Trump, this is the Democrats next big idea now that collusion proved to be nothing more than a political witch hunt? You guys... lol.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Gotta love a President publicly calling Congress too stupid to understand his taxes. How can anyone support this maroon?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Is *this* the method that is finally going to get Trump, this is the Democrats next big idea now that collusion proved to be nothing more than a political witch hunt? You guys... lol.

This is simply Congress doing its job. Knowing who is putting money in the president's pocket is about the most basic good governance I can possibly think of.

Everyone in America should be in support of this. If Trump isn't corrupt then he has nothing to worry about.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
This is simply Congress doing its job. Knowing who is putting money in the president's pocket is about the most basic good governance I can possibly think of.

Everyone in America should be in support of this. If Trump isn't corrupt then he has nothing to worry about.

Get 'im. One of these witch hunts will be the one!

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Great, we're in agreement then. I'm glad you support Congress getting access to Trump's tax returns!

Personally I don't care, I'm sure there is nothing to hide there, I just like watching you guys grasp at straws. He spanked you guys pretty hard, you're leaving no stone unturned.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Personally I don't care, I'm sure there is nothing to hide there, I just like watching you guys grasp at straws. He spanked you guys pretty hard, you're leaving no stone unturned.

No stone unturned? This is literally the first stone that should be turned over for every president. The Republicans spent two years not doing their jobs in Congress, and that's part of the reason the country turned against them.

It's odd that Trump is trying so desperately to hide something when he has nothing to hide. I wonder why?

Reactions: darkswordsman17

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004