News Kamala Harris called out by Jamaican father over marijuana joke

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Ask Harris’ father, as it is his comments over harmful racial stereotypes that is fueling Reefergate.

We're at reefergate status now? Lolwtf

Don't pick up the ball and run with it if you don't want to get tackled.

Recreational MJ is legal in California now, and nearly 70% of Americans support legalization nationwide. Seems like a non-issue here if a candidate admits to past use.

As for Harris' record as a prosecutor, a prosecutor's job is to enforce the laws, not write them. If in her career as a prosecutor she dutifully enforced laws that she personally disagreed with, that would be to her credit, not the other way around.

Oh, and hip hop has been outselling rock music since 1994. It's hardly 'black music' or whatever. Some of you all are a bit out of touch.

Ding ding ding.

@ SB:

She's a former LEO. She from a mixed background.

The interpretation you put forward is she's trying to "blacken up."

Another, non-racial, interpretation is that she's just trying to prove she's "chill" and not a stick in the ass, law and order, prosecutor. Something that wouldn't play well with the progressive base.

Point being, don't just jump to the racial explanation as the default when other explanations are valid.

This is every bit "playing identity politics" that conservatives routinely denounce in one action, while playing it in another.

Reactions: Vic

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
No one really buys music anymore? You're a fucking idiot. Seriously. Maybe people don't buy traditional records anymore, but music sales are doing just fine.

As for GNR, I saw them with Metallica at the Kingdome back in '91 IIRC. Metallica was alright but GNR was probably the worst show I've ever seen. If people want to pay $500 to wait 2 hours for a drunk off his ass Axl to finally make it on stage so he can croak like a frog for 3 songs before walking off.. well, more power to them.

I saw the two of them also, perhaps on the same tour, at Mile High stadium. Ice-T opened IIRC.

Metallica was good, but Axl walked off stage all of a sudden in a tantrum a couple of songs in. Someone else came out later claiming it was his vocal cords hurting. Umm ok.

Nice way to shit all over the fans. Couldn't even apologize himself. Massive boos from the crowd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vic

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
We're at reefergate status now? Lolwtf

Don't pick up the ball and run with it if you don't want to get tackled.
Saw it online and thought it was funny. I would have called it GanjaGate.

I don’t mind getting tackled, but it stil didn’t stop me from getting 1st down.

Feb 4, 2009
I saw the two of them also, perhaps on the same tour, at Mile High stadium. Ice-T opened IIRC.

Metallica was good, but Axl walked off stage all of a sudden in a tantrum a couple of songs in. Someone else came out later claiming it was his vocal cords hurting. Umm ok.

Nice way to shit all over the fans. Couldn't even apologize himself. Massive boos from the crowd.

Bunch of my friends were going to the Foxborough show. I can’t remember the bands other than GNR.
I remember thinking could it possible be worth it if I wait 3-4 hours for Axle to decide if he wants to perform or not and what happens if the show ends in 10 minutes.
I skipped that show, my friends still went and said it was a blast. I don’t think there were any significant delays or drama that show.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Saw it online and thought it was funny. I would have called it GanjaGate.

I don’t mind getting tackled, but it stil didn’t stop me from getting 1st down.

Right, so when you casually used "reefergate" earlier in the thread, and I said wtf....you claimed my sarcasm meter was broken. Turns out, you got it from some other source, pretty much proving my point of labeling even the tiniest thing as a "gate" scandal. This is just sad, and unexpected of you. There's no "gate" here, you can put the pearls down now.

Reactions: hal2kilo

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Every Jamaican I've ever met was very conservative, and bristled at the mention of cannabis. I suppose I'm not surprised by his reaction.

Reactions: VRAMdemon

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Every Jamaican I've ever met was very conservative, and bristled at the mention of cannabis. I suppose I'm not surprised by his reaction.

This...most Jamaicans are quite conservative and very much dislike the Jamaicans=rastas stereotype. I don't think the father overreacted. Just like her comments were to morning radio, his were to a local Jamaican audience for whom a US-presidential candidate with Jamaican roots is a very big deal. She's an American and repeated an American-style stereotype of Jamaicans. It's an American tradition - we adopt the identity of our ancestors while at the same time not knowing a single thing about our ancestors' culture. We also get overly uptight over jokes about cultural stereotypes.

I don't know much about Harris (yet). I'll keep an open mind. In my opinion her comment rates about a 0.25 on an outrage scale of 0 to 10.

Reactions: Bitek

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
This...most Jamaicans are quite conservative and very much dislike the Jamaicans=rastas stereotype. I don't think the father overreacted. Just like her comments were to morning radio, his were to a local Jamaican audience for whom a US-presidential candidate with Jamaican roots is a very big deal. She's an American and repeated an American-style stereotype of Jamaicans. It's an American tradition - we adopt the identity of our ancestors while at the same time not knowing a single thing about our ancestors' culture. We also get overly uptight over jokes about cultural stereotypes.

Given she and her sister were largely raised by a single mother, I think he should have just kept out of it. If guy wanted to address a harmful stereotype, I can think of another more worthy of his time.

Feb 4, 2009

I’ve had a similar but different experience
The three guys were all family men, all were up for having some fun at a party. None spoke about smoking weed all the time but I know all three would partake at a younger age.
That weird Jamaican slang language used to puzzle me

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Right, so when you casually used "reefergate" earlier in the thread, and I said wtf....you claimed my sarcasm meter was broken. Turns out, you got it from some other source, pretty much proving my point of labeling even the tiniest thing as a "gate" scandal. This is just sad, and unexpected of you. There's no "gate" here, you can put the pearls down now.
I don’t think there is a gate in this case. I used it sarcastically because everything is a “gate” these days, and I thought “Reefergate” was funny.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Otoh, thats how you know its rock'n roll and not another smooth ridin boyband..
ps. I was molded to Gnr and metallica, still is.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
He has put baby girl into the world, she shall inherit the earth after him, his life took forever second priority to hers the day she was borne. He will disagree with her as an adult but keep it private cause it is her command now, not his.
His daughter is fucking running for pres and he decides to tackle his own blood? Dead beat dad needs to stfu and go away. in shame. He got confused.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
He has put baby girl into the world, she shall inherit the earth after him, his life took forever second priority to hers the day she was borne. He will disagree with her as an adult but keep it private cause it is her command now, not his.
His daughter is fucking running for pres and he decides to tackle his own blood? Dead beat dad needs to stfu and go away. in shame. He got confused.

I don't think he was a dead beat per se, pretty sure he was a gainfully employed professor, but you've got to be a monumental asshole and/or bad spouse for a new mother of two infant children to say 'screw this, we're leaving.'

I'd say his announcement is an example of why it didn't work out; being supportive doesn't appear to be his thing.

Reactions: cytg111

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Admittedly, I had to look up the quote. It’s Trump. I don’t recall this exact quote, but I rejected Trump long ago for making similar comments, and have not pulled a lever for any Republican who stands by him.

I like some rap, typically the collaborations with metal bands or songs that sample iconic metal riffs. Turn it up, bring the noise!