News Kamala Harris called out by Jamaican father over marijuana joke

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I’ve heard artists say it’s about 30-40% of its peak before digital music, that’s why concert tickets are so expensive. Concerts are what the artists make money with now.

This is way off topic can we please get back to the subject.
Concert sales have ALWAYS been how artists make their money. They usually make pennies per album. And concert tickets are so expensive because that's what people are willing to pay.

Reactions: Meghan54
Nov 8, 2012
Thank you for deflecting a reasonable and factual criticism of someone's idiotic comment that rap is black music into your personal assessment of the current state of the recording industry.
And FYI, $500/seat isn't really that impressive anymore. Weird, I know.

I love duh-flections when you're proven wrong. It's so cute you little insignificant twat :cool:

Feb 4, 2009
Concert sales have ALWAYS been how artists make their money. They usually make pennies per album. And concert tickets are so expensive because that's what people are willing to pay.

See post 44, I no longer can trust you

#sarcasm

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Would you withold your vote from a candidate who lied about drinking in parking lots and listening to hair metal as a cheap and disingenuous way to appeal to male voters of the 80s? The MJ isn’t the offense.

Do you feel the wrong in your stomach when you type this shit out?
You are inching in on

"Omg is that mustard he put in a burger?"
and
"A terrorist high five"
and
"Why wont he show his birth certificate? What is he hiding?".

Good job @Human /s.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Do you feel the wrong in your stomach when you type this shit out?
You are inching in on

"Omg is that mustard he put in a burger?"
and
"A terrorist high five"
and
"Why wont he show his birth certificate? What is he hiding?".

Good job @Human /s.
Do you feel the wrong in your stomach when you rationalize candidates that engage in disingenuous identity politics to distract from legitimate criticisms? You’re inching on Hillary 2.0.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
No good sir - you are the fucking idiot here.

Retail sales of Physical CDs is down so much that retailers are contemplating getting rid of CD sales altogether in stores. That makes sense, because everyone is moving to digital downloads (iTunes) right?
I think that's probably more because people that are actually buying CDs (such as myself and other people I know) aren't buying them at retail locations, due to selection and pricing.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
It's kinda ironic that as an Democrat ethnic female when she makes a culturally insensitive joke she's rightfully railed for it. When white male Republicans do it, they gain followers. Hell Trump ran an entire campaign on being culturally insensitive and coddling the ultra fragile right wing white males and somehow fucking won.

Reactions: blankslate

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I get the traction by certain conservatives to this story .. They identify with the asshole dad in this story... Like they did with Trump.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I get the traction by certain conservatives to this story .. They identify with the asshole dad in this story... Like they did with Trump.
If you take a step back, you'll see that all Trump conservative arguments revolve around their emotional identity. On any narrative involving conflict, they always align themselves with the side they emotionally identify with.
Pick any recent story and you'll see this is true. How else, for example, could one watch a 8 second video of an unmoving person being assaulted, and automatically assume that the unmoving victim must have done something we didn't witness in order to provoke the assault, except by emotionally identifying with the assailant?
Liberals do this too, of course, but not nearly to the same extreme.

Reactions: cytg111

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Do you think its acceptable for a candidate to use racial stereotypes as a way to appeal to voters?
It works well for Trump, who regularly and falsely demonizes Mexicans and the entire Islamic religion.

But, hey, in this case, maybe you should get that stick out of your ass.

Lightly linking her Jamaican heritage and ganja is no slur to me.

Is it REALLY for you, or are you just arguing dishonestly?

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Oh, and hip hop has been outselling rock music since 1994. It's hardly 'black music' or whatever. Some of you all are a bit out of touch.

You should see these guys try to dance. :p

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It works well for Trump, who regularly and falsely demonizes Mexicans and the entire Islamic religion.

But, hey, in this case, maybe you should get that stick out of your ass.

Lightly linking her Jamaican heritage and ganja is no slur to me.

Is it REALLY for you, or are you just arguing dishonestly?
Trump is irrelevant to this discussion, but I understand why you and others want to divert to talking about him.

Under normal circumstances, gaffes are part of the political vetting process. Dismissing such criticisms is how we ended up with the only candidate capable of losing to Trump.

Harris may be a Senator, but now that she’s announced her candidacy for President, she will face a more critical vetting process than what she had to face in California.

Given what happened last time, I would think Democrats would want to battle test their candidates now rather than give Trump the opportunity to knock them off message.

Feb 4, 2009
Trump is irrelevant to this discussion, but I understand why you and others want to divert to talking about him.

Under normal circumstances, gaffes are part of the political vetting process. Dismissing such criticisms is how we ended up with the only candidate capable of losing to Trump.

Harris may be a Senator, but now that she’s announced her candidacy for President, she will face a more critical vetting process than what she had to face in California.

Given what happened last time, I would think Democrats would want to battle test their candidates now rather than give Trump the opportunity to knock them off message.

Why is Trump irrelevant to the discussion. He’s a politician, he has announced his intent to run again and makes far worse claims. Plus he won by making far worse claims.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Trump is irrelevant to this discussion, but I understand why you and others want to divert to talking about him..
Of course he is relevant, how the hell can you say he is not, that is some multi dimensional paradoxical rationalization you got going there. Of course I can understand why YOU and others would like to keep him out of the equation though. Double standards is a hell of a drug.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
You're the one who opened that door when you pompously and piously over-characterized what she said thusly, and I quote, "Do you think its acceptable for a candidate to use racial stereotypes as a way to appeal to voters?" :eek:

Unclutch your pearls, please.

Under normal circumstances, gaffes are part of the political vetting process.
Except it wasn't a gaffe or slur or a harmful "racial stereotype" to me, at all.
7G3zITG.png

Reactions to remarks like hers -- from the hysterically condemnatory to a simple, knowing acceptance -- reveal much more about the respondents than they do about the public figure who said them.

Based on how you have repeatedly responded here, I guess we have a fix on your feelings and your values.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Of course he is relevant, how the hell can you say he is not, that is some multi dimensional paradoxical rationalization you got going there. Of course I can understand why YOU and others would like to keep him out of the equation though. Double standards is a hell of a drug.
Yawn, I didn’t vote for Trump and never would. The vetting of Harris against other candidates from her own party has nothing to do with Trump. Trump only becomes relevant if she wins the nomination.

Why is Trump irrelevant to the discussion. He’s a politician, he has announced his intent to run again and makes far worse claims. Plus he won by making far worse claims.
He’s not a Democrat. Harris first has to win the nomination of her party, and she strikes me as a candidate who is quite capable of losing to Trump.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You're the one who opened that door when you pompously and piously over-characterized what she said thusly, and I quote, "Do you think its acceptable for a candidate to use racial stereotypes as a way to appeal to voters?" :eek:

Unclutch your pearls, please.

Except it wasn't a gaffe or slur or a harmful "racial stereotype" to me, at all.
7G3zITG.png

Reactions to remarks like hers -- from the hysterically condemnatory to a simple, knowing acceptance -- reveal much more about the respondents than they do about the public figure who said them.

Based on how you have repeatedly responded here, I guess we have a fix on your feelings and your values.
Yawn. If you like rubber stamps, by all means don’t let me stop you.