Kaby Lake information.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

III-V

Oct 12, 2014
Intel has a history of reusing names of canceled products, but unless something's massively changed Cannonlake is still scheduled to be the tock.
Cannonlake was always the tick. Icelake is the tock.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Cannonlake (formerly Skymont) is Intel's codename for the 10-nanometer die shrink of the Skylake microarchitecture, expected to be released in the second half of 2017.[1][2] As a die shrink, Cannonlake is a "tick" in Intel's "tick-tock" execution plan as the next step in semiconductor fabrication.[3] Cannonlake will be used in conjunction with Intel 200 Series chipsets, also known as Union Point. The platform as a whole will be named Union Bay.[3]
Following Intel's longstanding "tick-tock" strategy, the replacement for Cannonlake would be a new architecture at the same 10 nm process node, delivered a year after Cannonlake. As of August 2015, confirmation of this has not been leaked or announced.
It has been speculated for a long time that reaching smaller process nodes would become impractical, leading to the end of Moore's Law. Intel however believes that it will be possible to reach at least 7 nm, though it will perhaps require use of materials other than silicon,[4] such as indium gallium arsenide (InGaAs).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonlake#cite_note-wccftech-3

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Cannonlake was always the tick. Icelake is the tock.

Sorry, yes. Cannonlake is the 10nm shrink. Is there any current indication that Icelake is a new architecture though? It defies their traditional naming strategy, and I've never seen a roadmap with both Cannonlake and Icelake on it at the same time.

Last edited:

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Where is the source that cannonlake will be another refresh?

Use google and search for "tick tock model"

Cannonlake is a tick, it won't get a new socket. And per Intel definition it is a refresh of Skylake microarchitecture. Simple as that.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Skylake just gets a double refresh. Kaby Lake on 14nm and Cannonlake on 10nm. Then Icelake is the new uarch on 10nm with the reintroduction of FIVR on the enduser parts.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Skylake just gets a double refresh. Kaby Lake on 14nm and Cannonlake on 10nm. Then Icelake is the new uarch on 10nm with the reintroduction of FIVR on the enduser parts.

I don't get it. What's the point of Kabylake?

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I don't get it. What's the point of Kabylake?

I would guess to get more time for 10nm to work or yield good enough. Also for ROI on 14 nm.

If you don't make a new CPU OEM will be disappointed as they also can't offer anything new and hence probably lower sales. Getting a new chips out with few new features and marketing can slap on a reason why you supposedly need it.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Kaby Lake is a new lineup of desktop/mobile CPUs, not a couple of niche models like (desktop) Broadwell-K. New x86 core (rumoured) + improved graphics is way more substantial than a simple clock boost (Haswell Refresh). IMHO this was planned long before the 10nm delay became 'public'.

Last edited:

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
So.... Intel did a Godavari?

It will be a very bad idea.... rebranding... where I heard before?

Mar 10, 2006
It wasn't even really planned, until after they realized they couldn't meet the deadline for cannonlake. I wouldn't expect a heck of a lot outside of a slightly better igpu.

When do you think they realized they couldn't meet the deadline for Cannonlake?

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
When do you think they realized they couldn't meet the deadline for Cannonlake?
I am guessing a long time ago, but it's still not the same as planning something out from the start. Why do you think they are working on the IGPU right now?

Mar 10, 2006
I am guessing a long time ago, but it's still not the same as planning something out from the start. Why do you think they are working on the IGPU right now?

I expect that they are going to make "tweaks" all across the board to Skylake (i.e. potential modifications to L3$, slight core enhancements, improved GPU) with the "big bang" being the much improved decode/encode support (hardware VP9, HEVC Main10).

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
They are moving on to 10nm, and the return of FIVR. It doesn't make sense to waste time on kaby lake. I just don't see it. If it was me, I would tweak skylake, and focus on improving the igpu.

Aug 11, 2008
What makes you believe otherwise?

What makes you believe it is? I thought it was just an interim solution with mainly igp improvements to tide us over until 10nm. Even the delayed 10nm Cannonlake was just a tick, mainly a die shrink, so I dont know how you think Intel could slip in a new architecture before that.

And I know, maybe 10 nm was not really "delayed" because I dont think they ever gave a firm release date. But it is "delayed" in the sense that it is not coming out in 2 years from the previous process like the normal tick/tock cadence.